Re: [rrg] Constraints on a solution - "incrementally deployable" again

Tom Vest <tvest@pch.net> Thu, 16 April 2009 03:54 UTC

From: Tom Vest <tvest@pch.net>
To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:55:38 -0400
Cc: John Zwiebel <jzwiebel@cisco.com>, RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [rrg] Constraints on a solution - "incrementally deployable" again

Hi Robin,

FWIW I like what's here. However, if we subsequently find ourselves in
a world where IPv6 remains undeployed, and (possession of) IPv4
continues to represent a critical bottleneck to nontrivial
participation in the routing system, then most/all of the maxims below
would seem to be largely or exclusively relevant to "incumbent" IPv4
holders. If I'm not off-base in this observation, it would have two
troubling implications. First, it suggests that this particular vision
of incremental deployability foregoes, if not excludes, one of the key
drivers of technology change in other sectors -- i.e., the possibility
of early adoption led by aspiring new entrants, in this case aspiring
routing services providers. Second, while the recommendations should,
if followed, increase the odds of the associated technology being
widely deployed, it would still leave the fate of the technology in
question to be determined absolutely by "incumbent" routing system
participants. In this specific sense, a future technology that
satisfies all of the requirements for "incremental deployability"
might still end up getting effectively "vetoed," in the way that (some
say) IPv6 has been vetoed.

Before I even attempt to suggest what kind of extensions or
modifications might serve to remedy this perceived "incumbent bias"
I'd be very interested in hearing reactions from others...

Thanks,

Tom Vest