[rrg] We have not agreed to irtf-rrg-design-goals-01

Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au> Wed, 03 March 2010 12:07 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 23:07:29 +1100
From: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
To: RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Subject: [rrg] We have not agreed to irtf-rrg-design-goals-01

Short version:  The draft RRG Report indicates that the RADIR Problem
                Statement is an implicitly adequate description of
                the routing scaling problem and that there is RRG
                consensus support for irtf-rrg-design-goals-01.

                Yet we are still debating improvements to the RADIR
                Problem Statement and there has been no consensus
                test on the July 2007 irtf-rrg-design-goals-01.

Hi Lixia and Tony,

The Introduction of draft-irtf-rrg-recommendation-05 includes:

  the design goals that we have agreed to can be found in
  [I-D.irtf-rrg-design-goals].

This statement that "we have agreed" is incorrect.  There has been no
consensus test on this ID.  As I wrote in December (msg05495):

    Tony announced irtf-rrg-design-goals-01 on 2007-07-11:

       http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2007/msg00179.html
       http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg00183.html

    There were only a handful of messages about the design goals
    before this, and I recall not many since then.  I expected there
    would be further revisions, and wrote some detailed material
    about improving the Design Goals on 2009-07-14:

       http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2007/msg00199.html
       http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg00203.html

    but there has been no discussion of my suggestions or further
    revision of the Design Goals.