[rrg] Lixia & Scott's taxonomy I-D and other taxonomy attempts

Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au> Tue, 07 September 2010 11:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:54:50 +1000
From: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
To: rrg@irtf.org
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: [rrg] Lixia & Scott's taxonomy I-D and other taxonomy attempts

Short version:   I found six attempts at making a taxonomy of
                 RRG proposed architectures:

                   March 2008  Lixia and Scott's I-D
                   April 2008  My 25 questions
                   April 2008  Joel Halpern's I-D
                   July  2008  Christian Vogt's PDF document
                   Early 2009  Based on Bill Herrin's Strategies
                   Early 2010  My CES/CEE distinction messages

Hi Lixia,

In "Re: [rrg] [IRSG] IRSG Review: draft-irtf-rrg-recommendation-
12.txt" you wrote:

>> I figure people will read it.  The questions we are tackling will
>> come up in the future, even if nothing is done with LISP, Ivip,
>> IRON, ILNP or whatever for five or ten years.
>
> Based on what I have seen in the past, I agree here.

OK.

> 1/ The terms CES versus CEE came from a HOTNET paper, "Towards A
> Future Internet Architecture: Arguments for Separating Edges from
> Transit Core" ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets),
> October 2008
> http://conferences.sigcomm.org/hotnets/2008/papers/18.pdf
>
> I do not think "DNS-based" or not is part of the CEE concept.

I agree.

> 2/ I recall that long time ago I signed up to help a taxonomy
> draft. Scott Brim and I even produced a couple versions (predated
> the above mentioned paper).  Although I've stepped down from RRG, I
> feel an obligation to help finish this piece.
>
> Let me first dig out the old draft by Scott and me. Then look over
> the mailing list discussion (if Robin has pointers at hand, that'd
> be very helpful than going through all email archive:)
>
> I chatted with Scott about this taxonomy draft at Maastricht IETF.
> Scott, wonder if your busy period is over and have some cycles for
> this now.

Scott announced the I-D on 2008-03-29:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02006.html

The I-D is version 00 only, from the same date:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rrg-taxonomy-00

I commented on it on 2008-03-31, you responded and I replied:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02015.html
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02038.html
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02042.html

There was also an exchange between you and Heiner Hummel a few days
later.  As far as I know, there were no further substantial
discussions of this I-D on the list.  Hannu Flinck (msg02132.html)
wrote positively of your I-D.

You wrote to the list:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02162.html

with primarily a 2-way taxonomy, with a potential 3rd classification
for address rewriting proposals (such as Six-One Router, I guess).

A second taxonomy attempt began on 2008-04-02:  I made a set of 25
questions:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg02033.html

and after some discussion, made a web page which incorporated
suggestions from other people:

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/comp/

Most of the questions refer to distinctions between what we know know
(or at least some people recognise as) Core-Edge Separation
architectures.  This has been pretty much superseded, since most of
the proposed architectures considered in this framework are no longer
under development - or have changed considerably.