[SAM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-irtf-samrg-sam-baseline-protocol-02.txt

Dr Mario Kolberg <mko@cs.stir.ac.uk> Wed, 30 January 2013 11:44 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:43:55 +0000
From: Dr Mario Kolberg <mko@cs.stir.ac.uk>
To: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: sam <sam@irtf.org>
Subject: [SAM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-irtf-samrg-sam-baseline-protocol-02.txt

Hi Thomas,

many thanks again for your helpful comments. We have updated the SAM
Baseline draft according your comments and uploaded a new version (02)
of the draft. Links to the new version are near the end of this email.
Details of the changes made are listed below in-line with your comments.

Mario & John

> General issues:
>
>  * s/a ALM/an ALM/
>  * Please provide captions to figures
>  * Please reference figures unambiguously by numbers, not by positions
> (e.g., "figure above/below")
>  * As this document is intended to be informational, normative
> references are inappropriate, I believe. Rather change all references
> to informational ...
all fixed.
> Detailed comments:
>
> [Section 1, 1st enumeration:] s/trees connect nodes over global
> internet/trees connect nodes over the global Internet
> [Section 1, 2nd enumeration:] epending on initial application
> parameters or application class*es*
> [Section 2.3] additional roles such as connection relays, super nodes,
> NAT traversal *assistance*
> [Section 3.3] "We use RELOAD [I-D.ietf-p2psip-base] as the distibuted
> hash table (DHT)" ... I would RELOAD not coin a DHT, rather a generic
> P2P overlay protocol ...
> [Section 4, 2nd point of 1st enumeration:] ... store diagnostic
> information about the operation of tree*s* ...
>     in addition: s/lost packet rate/packet loss rate
> [Section 5, 4th point of 1st enumeration:] Defines the Resource Name
> used to hash to the Resource ID *that determines* where the kind is
> stored
> [Section 6, 4th para:] s/Its main advantage is use of the overlay
> routing mechanism for routing both control and data messages./Its main
> advantage is use of the overlay for routing both control and data
> messages.
all fixed.
> [Section 6, enumeration point 5, "ASM tree":] This describes a
> specific bidirectional flooding mechanism on shared trees. Is this
> intended as such? This should be clarified ...
ASM and SSM have been added to the Definition section.
> [Section 7 - in general:] This section explains the protocol
> handshakes, but does not display any sequence diagrams. Corresponding
> diagrams are in Section 12 - please reference or move ...
a reference has now been added.
> [Section 7.1, 1st para:] Refers to
> "I-D.irtf-sam-h]ybrid-overlay-framework" in a somewhat vague manner -
> maybe the key argument should be inlined to make the document more
> consistent?
This reference actually referred to an older version of this draft.
Reference removed and reworded.
> [Section 7.1, 2nd para:] mentiones "SAM requirements draft" without
> referencing.
reference added.
> [Section 7.1, Dictionary data structure:] The Dictionary data
> structure displayed in this draft differs from the RELOAD Dictionary
> data structure - is this intended? Is this useful?
This links to a discussion we had with Marc some time ago. Dictionary is
not defined as a datatype in RELOAD, but as a model (7.2.3). Thus we
have defined Dictionary in the draft. However, we now use the
DictionaryEntry type defined in the RELOAD v24 draft.
> [Section 7.2.1, 1st para:] "...  of group_id is that the peer with
> peer id closest to and less than the group_id is the root of the
> tree." -> this seems very specific to CORD, is this intended as such?
> Maybe a more generic formulation is useful?
slightly reworded. The text states that this is just a common use - thus
not always.
> [Section 7.2.1, 3rd para:] This paragraph is very hard to parse ...
> please explain more carefully what "create tree" does.
reworded.
> [Section 7.2.3, 1st para:] "If successful, the peer_id is notified
> ..." -> peer_id is a number, who is notified?
reworded.
> [Section 7.2.3, 2nd para:] "RELOAD is a client server protocol" - you
> mean to say "RELOAD is a request-response protocol" ?
reworded.
> [Section 7.2.6, 1st para:] "the negotiation of options between the two
> peers." - I haven't seen any explanation of this negotiation mechanism ??
The previous sentence mentions parameter negotiation and thus we feel
this is ok.
> In general: The use, syntax and semantic of options might be worth to
> specify/illustrate, at least in the specific example sections (Scribe,
> P2PCast) ... (I suppose, options are always algorithm-specific).
Section 7 contains syntax and semantic of options. Doing it again seems
repetitive.
> [Section 7.2.17, "max_tree_data":] this is a global quantity commonly
> unavailable to any P2P overlay node ... I wonder what this is based
> on? Is this an optional value supplied if known?
explanation added. NodeQuery can be used to crawl all the nodes in an
ALM tree.
Using the tree_data list in the NodeStatistics, the node can populate
the max_tree_data field.
This is intended to support monitoring, algorithm design, and general
experimentation with ALM in RELOAD.
> [Section 7.2.19, "PushResponse:] Who sends this - the neighboring peer
> or the receiver to the sender?
reworded.
> [Section 9:] A message table as supplied in Section 8 should be helpful.
table added.
> [Section 9.3, 1st para after enumeration:] "P2Pcast uses defined
> messages ..." This para is fairly unclear to me - clarify?
reworded.
[Section 16:] This seems to contradict Section 14??

Clarified in Section 14 and Section 16 removed.