Re: [scim] ExternalId - characteristics.

Erik Wahlström <erik.wahlstrom@nexusgroup.com> Thu, 11 September 2014 08:13 UTC

From: Erik Wahlström <erik.wahlstrom@nexusgroup.com>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:14:17 +0000
x-mailer: Apple Mail (2.1878.6)
x-originating-ip: [10.75.110.12]
Cc: "scim@ietf.org" <scim@ietf.org>, "Morteza Ansari (moransar)" <moransar@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [scim] ExternalId - characteristics.

I think we are reading in more into the value then originally thought of. It’s meant to keep things like the DN or GUID of the AD user when provisioning them to the cloud so that it’s possible to use that attribute to reference the User in the cloud using a filter. I just tried to figure out a new name and renaming it to something more clear, but externalId is kinda good :)

Maybe we should change the last sentence in the externalId description to make it possible to have 2 different clients working against the same resource in the same tenant (if that’s a potential future use case).

"The service provider MUST always interpret the externalId as scoped to the client’s tenant."

"The service provider MUST always interpret the externalId as scoped to the authenticated client."

Just to make my self clear, I like the externalId to stay a singular attribute.

/ Erik