[shara] Concerns about shara BOF

Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org> Thu, 12 November 2009 06:12 UTC

From: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org>
To: shara@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:13:08 +0900
Subject: [shara] Concerns about shara BOF

After attending the aplusp BOF yesterday, I am very uncomfortable with
its apparent outcome.  There were enough problems with how the BOF was
planned, structured and run, that I believe that it would be both
unwise and unfair to draw any conclusions from the BOF about the
IETF's interest in aplusp or other shared addressing proposals, in the
DS-Lite context or elsewhere.

In it's ideal form, a BOF should be an opportunity for proponents of a
proposal to present their proposal to the IETF, so that the IETF can
decide whether or not to adopt the work.  It might include a
presentation of other alternatives and/or architectural
considerations, but _all_ of the presentations should be based on
previously published drafts, so that people can prepare for the
discussion.  The aplusp BOF was nothing like that, though...

It didn't appear (from the outside) that the aplusp BOF was proposed
by proponents of any aplusp-related proposal, and no actual aplusp (or
aplusp/DS-Lite) proposals were presented at the BOF.  There was a very
high level overview of a group of proposals, none of which are DS-Lite-
specific, followed by a slightly off-topic presentation on mobility,
followed by an architectural presentation that was firmly against the
entire idea of aplusp.

The agenda of this BOF was quite unique in my experience, since it
didn't include any drafts that actually described the proposal being
discussed.  There is a (very brief, non-detailed) description of how
aplusp could apply to DS-Lite in the softwires DS-Lite draft, but that
draft wasn't on the agenda.  That proposal would (IMO) be an internal
discussion for the softwires WG, so I'm not sure why we would have a
BOF about it.  Ralph Drom's summary of what the proposed WG would do
mentioned provisioning and included other terms that didn't seem to
relate to the use of aplusp in DS-Lite.  I read and understood the
drafts on the agenda, I've been reading the shara mailing list, I
think I understand the actual aplusp proposal, but  I made it all the
way through this BOF without fully understanding what work was being
proposed.

There was no draft associated with Dave Thaler's "architecture"
presentation, making it impossible to understand the issues he raised
in any depth or prepare for a real discussion of the issues raised.  I
have a pretty good understanding of addressing architecture, but it is
not clear to me how some of the points on the architecture
presentation related to aplusp.

Although this BOF was ostensibly run to start a WG, there was no WG
charter text proposed.

At the end of the BOF, several questions were asked.  The first was
"Do you understand the problem? yes/no".  When more people answered
"no" than "yes", the questioning should have stopped there.  There is
no reasonable way to interpret the answer to the question "Should we
work on this problem in the IETF? yes/no" when the room has just told
you that they don't understand the problem.

I'm not an aplusp proponent.  I haven't done enough work to understand
all of the trade-offs between aplusp and CGN, so I honestly don't know
if it would be better to deploy an aplusp version of DS-Lite or a CGN
version, nor do I understand why we'd want to constrain aplusp to that
use.  The BOF did nothing to advance my thinking, though.

 From an IETF process standpoint, I think that the best thing we can
do with the outcome of the aplusp BOF is to ignore it completely.

Margaret