Re: [sipcore] geo URI and conveyance: conclusion?

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Mon, 26 July 2010 16:07 UTC

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@nic.at>, sipcore@ietf.org, Martin Thomson <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:07:43 +0200
Subject: Re: [sipcore] geo URI and conveyance: conclusion?

After chatting with Martin and Alex, here's another possibility:

Clearly, a client that is capable of sending a GEO URI can just as
well send a PIDF-LO document with the same information (in a lot more
bits).  So we can view the use of a GEO URI as an optimization, for
those times when you don't need what PIDF-LO offers.  Given  that
interpretation, you could basically say "use a GEO URI if you don't
want any contraints, otherwise generate a PIDF-LO".  Suggested text:
"
Clients embedding location in a SIP message by value typically do so
by embedding a PIDF-LO message body and adding CID URI to the
Geolocation header.  In some cases, a location value can be expressed
much more compactly using a GEO URI [RFC5870], namely when the
following two conditions apply:
1. The location being expressed is a point (optionally with an
uncertainty radius), and
2. The client does not wish to express privacy preferences.
When used with the SIP Geolocation header, a GEO URI is equivalent to
a PIDF-LO document with the following contents:
    o Entity: From address of SIP message
    o Location information: Point or circle equivalent to GEO URI (see
[RFC5870] for translation)
    o Privacy rules:
       o retransmission-allowed: true
       o retention-expiry: unlimited (any date very far in the future)
       o ruleset-reference: null
       o note-well: null
A client that wishes to express more restrictive privacy rules than
these defaults should create a PIDF-LO document encoding these rules,
and include the PIDF-LO document in the SIP message (rather than a GEO
URI).
"