Re: [Softwires] Working group last call for draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp-07

Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com> Wed, 23 April 2014 12:36 UTC

From: Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:35:55 +0200
To: Ole Troan <ot@cisco.com>
Cc: Softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>, Yong Cui <cuiyong@tsinghua.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Working group last call for draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp-07

Hi Ole,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Ian

On 22 Apr 2014, at 15:17, Ole Troan <ot@cisco.com> wrote:

> Ian,
>
>> And two comments on section 4.5:
>> This section is entirely MAP specific, although the sub-option is generally applicable to all of the containers.
>
> while I think it is fine that it refers to the "MAP algorithm", I agree it shouldn't refer to "MAP interface". would you have a go at more generic text?

[ian] Couple of changes to 4.5:

Old:
The Port Parameters Option specifies optional Rule Port Parameters
   that MAY be provided as part of the Mapping Rule for CEs using the
   MAP algorithm.
New:
The Port Parameters Option specifies optional Port Set information
   that MAY be provided to CEs.

Old:
When receiving the Port Parameters option with an explicit PSID, the
   client MUST use this explicit PSID in configuring its MAP interface.
   If the conveyed IPv4 address is not 32 bit-long, the option MUST be
   discarded.  The formula for this check is "prefix4-len + ea-len = 32"
   and serves to ensure that the explicit PSID is only applied to
   configurations with a completely formed IPv4 address.
New:
On receipt of the Port Parameters option with an explicit PSID, clients
   MUST configure their softwire interface with the received
   explicit PSID. For MAP-E and MAP-T clients, if the conveyed IPv4 address
   is not 32 bits-long, the option MUST be discarded.  The formula for
   this check is "prefix4-len + ea-len = 32" and serves to ensure that
   the explicit PSID is only applied to configurations with a completely
   formed IPv4 address.

>> The default value of 6 for the ‘offset’ field either shouldn’t be specified here, or should have ‘6’ for MAP and ‘0’ for lw4o6.
>
> we might not need to include that in the map-dhcp document, since it is already in map base.
> btw, is '0' a wise choice for LW46? I don't see any evaluation or recommendations in the LW46 document about what to do with a PSID of 0 and an offset of 0. try sourcing a few packets from TCP port 25 to random picked destination, to understand my point.

[ian]
What about the following wording change:
Old:Allowed values are between 0 and 15, with the default value being 6.
New:
Allowed values are between 0 and 15. Default values for this field are specific to the softwire mechanism being implemented and  are defined in the relevant specification document.

Good spot on the WKP exclusion. Before the lw4o6 draft was updated to reference map-dhcp for configuration,  the port configuration was described in sun-dhc-port-set-option, which also stated that the WKPs should not be assigned. This advice got lost when changing to reference map-dhcp. I’ll make a suggested text update for the lw4o6 draft to fix this. Does that work for you?