RE: [Syslog-sec] Maximum message size

"Andrew Ross" <andrew@kiwisyslog.com> Thu, 14 October 2004 01:10 UTC

From: Andrew Ross <andrew@kiwisyslog.com>
To: ietfdbh@comcast.net, 'Rainer Gerhards' <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>, 'Anton Okmianski' <aokmians@cisco.com>, syslog-sec@employees.org
Subject: RE: [Syslog-sec] Maximum message size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:35:40 +1300
Sender: syslog-sec-bounces@willers.employees.org

David,

You make a good point on the end use of syslog messages. I'm not a big
fan of large messages, I'd be happy limiting it to 64K even over TCP. It
makes it readable by humans and parsable by standard file parsing
programs.

Some standard text editors will only allow a max line length of 4096
characters.

If we are to assume that a "syslog" message is intended to be displayed
on a console, logged to a file and maybe included in some sort of
paging/e-mail alert system, then the message size really needs to be
kept fairly short.

Rainer's experience is that some devices/apps will send very large
diagnostic messages of around 1MB in size.

I can understand the need in this case to be able to handle large
message sizes. However, I don't plan on accepting messages any larger
than 64K in my implementation of -protocol.

A client would have to make a REALLY good case for me to want to accept
larger messages, especially 16MB in size. FTP, or even HTTP POST would
be the best solution in this case.

Syslog messages are meant for displaying, logging to disk and alerting.
Not large binary style core dump info or database style records.

I would like to see a note in the -protocol spec that encourages
implementers to only send small messages that adhere to the original
spirit of syslog.

Cheers

Andrew