Re: [TICTOC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib-03.txt

Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com> Fri, 11 January 2013 19:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:27:03 -0700
From: Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>
To: tictoc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib-03.txt

Some comments on this:

Abstract:

Add a bracketed reference to IEEE 1588-2008

Section 1

s/defined to monitor, measure the performance/defined to monitor and
measure the performance

It is claimed that monitoring is not a supported function of this MIB but I
have identified numerous versiables in the MIB which I would consider to be
providing a monitoring function. If you need specific examples, let me know.

Section 1.1

What in this MIB is profile dependent? I did not identify anything in my
review. It would be desirable. if possible,  to have a profile-independent
MIB.

TEXTUAL-CONVENTION general issues

Consider alphabetizing

ClockInstanceType TEXTUAL-CONVENTION definition

Description requires elucidation or a reference.

ClockProfileType TEXTUAL-CONVENTION definition

Consider using and OUI instead of an enumeration. IEEE 1588-1588 requires
an OUI be associated with each profile.

OBJECT-TYPE general issues

Consider being consistent about repeating TEXTUAL-CONVENTION descriptions,
explicitly referencing them or assuming readers will track down the
reference without reminder.

ptpDomainClockPortsTotal OBJECT-TYPE

I assume this is the number of ports for the managed PTP-capable system
(i.e. a router or switch). Suggest adding "in the system" to the
description to clarify scope of count.

ptpbaseClockTimePropertiesDSTable OBJECT-TYPE

s/clock Timeproperties Datasets for/clock time properties datasets for

PtpbaseClockTransDefaultDSEntry SEQUENCE

Use ClockDomainType textual convention instead of Integer32 for
ptpbaseClockTransDefaultDSPrimaryDomain

PtpbaseClockPortEntry SEQUENCE

Change ptpbaseClockPortSyncOneStep to ptpbaseClockPortSyncTwoStep to
match 1588 semantics for this boolean

ptpbaseClockPortRunningEncapsulationType OBJECT-TYPE

Needs a textual convention or description of allowed values and their meanings

ptpbaseClockPortTransDSlogMinPdelayReqInt OBJECT-TYPE

Change to ClockIntervalBase2 type

Section 5

Copy-paste error: "creation and/or manipulation of tunnels"

Section 6

To be added

Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517