Re: [Trans] changes to attack analysis

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Fri, 06 March 2015 16:16 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:12:43 -0500
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
To: Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>, "trans@ietf.org" <trans@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Trans] changes to attack analysis

Ben,

Happy to oblige.  The revised text is attached.

As for your comments:

    I still don't really understand this point: the log has no power to
    check syntax that is not also available to a client,

In principle that's true, but in practice we have seen many instances
where client software
fails to perform checks established by standards. Thus logs represent an
opportunity to
do a better job (since they are new code) and perhaps help save clients
from bad code.

    so I don't see how the log checking/not checking syntax is
    interesting - a malicious CA presumably cannot know what all clients
    will do? Because of this, I also still do not see the real value of
    logs checking syntax - I am not fundamentally against it, but it
    doesn't seem to me to add much.

A malicious CA can determine (via testing) which clients, by browser
type and version,
fail to perform certain syntactic checks. If the CA is creating a bogus
cert with a
particular set of clients in mind, this may suffice.

    It is not clear to me that gossip has to be mandatory. So long as
    some fraction of participants gossip, then clients are protected
    from non-targeted attacks. Obviously this does not remove the need
    to specify gossip, which is clearly required for CT to fully realise
    its potential.

Remember that IETF standards almost always specify mandatory to
implement (MTI) features, not
mandatory to use (MTU) features. I believe your comment above supports
my argument that gossip needs
to be MTI, but not MTU.

Steve