[Tsvwg] New SCTP reference implementation

"Randall R. Stewart" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us> Sat, 17 March 2001 13:50 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:40:58 -0600
From: "Randall R. Stewart" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
To: net@FreeBSD.org, sigtran@standards.nortelnetworks.com, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: [Tsvwg] New SCTP reference implementation
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Dear All:

This message is to notify you of a new SCTP reference
implementation available at:

http://www.sctp.chicago.il.us

Version 4.0.3 is now the current version... now for
the list of features new to this implementation:

***IPv6 support.
***Support for FreeBSD kernel.

There has been MAJOR restructuring to make the
implementation IPv6 compliant. I have tested the
major paths of the code BUT NOT some of the extensions.
In particular the ADD-IP/DEL-IP/Set-Primary feature
added in 4.0.2 has NOT been tested and will probably
cause cores :0 I will test these and provide a new
release as soon as I can ... sigh...

Now the Kernel implementation support in FreeBSD is
rock solid. Basically all the usual libraries are
used, but the ole SCTP deamon has been moved into
the kernel. You will find a new directory
FreeBsdKern. Under this directory is

netinet
netinet6
and
conf

I am working off FreeBSD RELEASE.. I intend to move
to STABLE soon but for now I wanted something really stable :)

The conf has the updated 'files' that adds the new
sctp files to the build. Copy or merge this with
yours. The net directories contain the sctp code AND
some modifications (very slight) to some of the modules.
You can diff them to find the minor change ... in_proto
for example.. But there is two new functions added to
the in_pcb handling... this helps in the lib support
of pmtu discovery (which I have not yet tested however so
be aware this may not be too rock solid :0 Has soon as I
can get through all my regression I will attempt to submit
my changes to the FreeBSD community and see if they wish
to adopt the kernel changes AND the library... There is
also ongoing work to build a socket API stub that can
be put in to match the SCTP sockets draft... more on this
when it evolves....

Now For you linux folks you will find a LinuxKern directory
with a ipv6/raw.c under it. This is because Linux has some
real problems in its ipv6 stack (at least Redhat 7)in the
use of raw sockets.  It will NOT allow you to gain access to
the full IPV6 header (which the sctp deamon needs). And even
worse it does not let you put out a full IPv6 packet.. This
fixes this to some degree but there are still problems since
the stack is not capable of recognizing the address-unspecifed
and filling it in with the interface address.... Beware if you use
IPv6 with linux you may be in for some problems... I may go
back and fix all of this and get the same SCTP deamon move to
the kernel in place for linux but not now.. no cycles... sigh...

Now as to Aix/True64/Solaris... I have no idea if the
IPv6 code will work... I have no way to test this..

Please report problems to me and I will attempt to fix
any issues...

Enjoy

Randall R. Stewart
randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com