Re: [VCARDDAV] New vcardrev draft

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Mon, 21 January 2008 14:41 UTC

From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] New vcardrev draft
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:41:05 -0500

On Saturday 19 January 2008 01:09:52 Javier Godoy wrote:
> 1. I see a normative reference to RFC 2234, but RFC 2234 is not used within
> the text, because ABNF points to I-D.crocker-rfc4234bis.

Fixed, thanks.

> 2. PRODID
>
> It says:
> >   Special notes:  Implementations SHOULD use a method such as that
> >      specified for Formal Public Identifiers in ISO 9070 to assure that
> >      the text value is unique.
>
> This requirement stands for recommending identifier uniqueness, and
> Formal Public Identifiers are only refered as an example (but any other
> unique identifier meets the requirement).
>
> Since there is a good discussion about global uniqueness in the RFC series
> (RFC 3406 "Uniform Resource Names Namespace Definition Mechanisms"), i
> think it could be used instead of ISO 9070. Besides, per RFC 3967, page 2,
> 3rd paragraph I understand the reference to ISO 9070 (or RFC 3406) should
> be informative instead of normative.

Thanks for the suggestion, this seems to make sense.

> In my opinion, vCards about corporate entities should have empty Given
> Name, Additional Names and Honorific Prefixes. The Family Name and
> Honorific Suffixes components may be used, for instance N:Corporate
> Entities,,,,Inc.. If no suffix is used, it falls to N:Corporate Entities
> (trailing commas ommited).

Here is my opinion on this: the N property should not be mandatory.
Corporations are not the only objects that we want to represent with vCards
whose name can't be split in Given Name, Family Name, etc. components. I'm
sure that there are naming schemes out there for *people* that don't fit that
model.

So in my opinion, FN should be mandatory, and N should be present if FN fits
that model. In the case of a corporation, FN doesn't fit the N model, but it
does fit the ORG model (X.520 Organization Name and Organization Unit
attributes) so you should use that instead. For example:

FN:ABC
ORG:ABC\, Inc.;North American Division;Marketing

Do we really need to encode somewhere the bit of knowledge that says "this
vcard is not about a person, it is about a corporation"?