Re: [vwrap] [Opensim-dev] Global identifiers

Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com> Tue, 31 August 2010 18:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:28:37 -0700
From: Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com>
To: diva@metaverseink.com, "vwrap@ietf.org" <vwrap@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [vwrap] [Opensim-dev] Global identifiers

(Dropping opensim-dev from the distribution list - cross-posting between
moderated lists is not ideal, and the conversation tends to be quite hard to
follow. My apologies if this makes it worse.)

Thanks for dropping in, Diva!

This discussion is completely within the bounds of the VWRAP charter, so
it's perfectly welcome on the vwrap@ietf.org list, if it's being done with
an eye towards encouraging independent implementations. Don't feel that
you're intruding at all - quite the opposite!

This would be a great place to hash out details of security/trust models and
protocols for data transport between virtual world instances, with the
benefit of input from other list contributors who have experience in related
areas. That's what this working group is chartered with, after all.

As an example, over on the opensim-dev list branch of this thread, I noticed
some conversation about the global identifiers that implied parsing URLs to
extract data, rather than treating them as opaque references to resources.
That's generally considered a big "no-no" and runs contrary to the collected
wisdom of the IETF for several reasons (that I'm sure folks will be glad to
enumerate), and there are alternate patterns that should be followed.
Hopefully, input on that level would be appreciated - if so, please do take
advantage of this forum.