Re: [websec] Decouple HSTS's two orthogonal effects?

Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com> Tue, 29 March 2011 20:57 UTC

From: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:58:08 -0700
To: websec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [websec] Decouple HSTS's two orthogonal effects?

There's no coupling between HSTS and the particular algorithm a UA
uses to verify certificates.  The UA is free to use whatever
verification mechanism it desires.  You can remove whatever CAs you
consider sloppy from the list of trusted certificate authorities and
add in whatever other verification mechanism you like.

For example, if/when certificate verification through DNSSEC becomes
widespread, we won't need to change anything about the HSTS spec.  Of
course, we'll need to change our implementations, but that's true
regardless of what the HSTS spec says.

Adam