[weirds] New proposed charter text (was: Another BoF in Paris?)

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Wed, 08 February 2012 22:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:15:44 -0500
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: weirds@ietf.org
Subject: [weirds] New proposed charter text (was: Another BoF in Paris?)

Dear colleagues,

With so many people telling me I was being an Eeyore (this is not,
_mirabile dictu_, the first time I have heard that), I thought I'd
better try again with some charter text.

I therefore offer the attached text as a proposed charter for WEIRDS.
I have incorporated what I understand to be the thrust of various
positions people have taken.  I believe I incorporated actual proposed
text when it was offered, except in the case where the prior consensus
rejected that approach (here, I'm thinking particularly of the
suggestions to make name registries and number registries both part of
the initial work list; this was strongly rejected in Taipei, and we
don't have additional drafts or additional experiments to point to
that would undercut that consensus).

I also included some changes sent to me off-list, including some by
Pete Resnick.

Thanks to all those who sent suggestions.  If nobody has any
objections, I'd like to offer this to the IESG as evidence that we
have a group of people willing to work on a well-scoped problem.

It still isn't clear to me whether I ought to request a BoF slot or
whether we should just press ahead on the basis of what looks like a
group of people already having agreed.  Are there things we think
would benefit from a face to face meeting?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com