Re: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discardandxrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-rle-metrics

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Mon, 02 July 2012 11:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 07:49:24 -0400
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: "Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, Shida Schubert <shida@ntt-at.com>, xrblock <xrblock@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [xrblock] WGLC for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discardandxrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-rle-metrics

Hi Dan

There are some implementations of RTP that send duplicate packets (in some
cases every packet) in order to provide a simple form of FEC. Reporting
duplicate packets as "duplicates" can allow the user to determine what
proportion of lost packets are being concealed by the process.  For example,
if I send 1000 packets but duplicate these in order to provide FEC - then
knowing that 900 duplicate packets were discarded tells me that the network
packet loss rate was 10%.

The reason that RFC3611 excluded duplicates was that the discard count was
intended to show what effect late/early arriving packets were having on the
quality perceived by the user.  Discarded duplicates have no effect whereas
a discarded late packet causes a "hole" in the decoded stream that has to be
repaired by PLC

It is useful to report discards of duplicate packets "separately from" the
early/late arrival discard count. They should not be combined into the same
counter.  This means that the early/late arrival discard count would be
consistent with RFC3611 but there is an additional count of discarded
duplicate packets

Best Regards

Alan