NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 29th IETF Meeting in Seattle. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Charter
- Yakov Rekhter <email@example.com>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To Subscribe <email@example.com>
- Archive <>
Description of Working Group
Develop the BGP protocol and BGP technical usage within the Internet,
continuing the current work of the Interconnectivity Working Group in
Goals and Milestones
- Coordinate the deployment of BGP in conformance with the BGP usage document in a manner that promotes sound engineering and an open competitive environment. Take into account the interests of the various backbone and mid-level networks, the various vendors, and the user community.
- Complete development of Version 2 of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
- Develop a mature BGP technical usage document that allows us to build Inter-AS routing structures using the BGP protocol.
- Develop a MIB for BGP Version 3.
- Work with the Security Area to enhance the provision for security in BGP.
- Develop a BGP usage document describing how BGP can be used as part of a network monitoring strategy.
- Post an Internet-Draft specifying multicast extensions to BGP.
- Post the specfication of BGP 4 as an Internet-Draft.
- Post an Internet-Draft specifying a MIB for BGP Version 4.
- Jan 1993
- Submit the multicast extensions to BGP to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
- Jan 1993
- Submit the specification for BGP Version 4 to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
- Jan 1993
- Submit the BGP Version 4 MIB to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
NOTE: The Internet-Draft(s) listed below may have been deleted
since they are only good for six months.
``A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)'', 05/04/1994, Y. Rekhter, T. Li
``Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fourth Version of Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4)'', 05/06/1994, S. Willis, J. Burruss, J. Chu
``BGP4/IDRP for IP---OSPF Interaction'', 12/14/1993, K. Varadhan, S. Hares, Y. Rekhter
``Application of the Border Gateway Protocol in the Internet'', 04/15/1994, Y. Rekhter, P. Gross
``BGP-4 protocol document roadmap and implementation experience'', 01/03/1994, P. Traina
Request for Comments