Entity MIB (entmib) Charter
NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 37th IETF Meeting in San Jose. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
- Keith McCloghrie <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Network Management Area Director(s):
- Deirdre Kostick <email@example.com>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion:firstname.lastname@example.org
- To Subscribe: email@example.com
- In Body: subscribe entmib your_email_address
- Archive: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/entmib/entmib
Description of Working Group
The goal of this working group is to standardize a set of managed
objects representing logical and physical entities and the
relationships between them. Logical entities can occur when a single
agent supports multiple instances of one MIB, such as RFCs 1253, 1493,
1516 or 1525, where each instance represents a single (logical)
device/entity. Physical entities are the actual physical components on
which the logical entities operate; typically, the physical components
exist in a hierarchy. The set of objects will be consistent with the
SNMP framework and existing SNMP standards.
The scope of this MIB should allow an NMS to interrogate a standard
SNMP context and thereby discover what logical and physical entities
exist, how to access the MIB information of each logical entity, and
the relationships between the various entities. The MIB should support
both a single agent or multiple agents in one physical entity. The
Working Group should adopt a minimalist approach for the (initial) MIB
so as to maximize the chance of success, e.g., read-only.
Goals and Milestones
- Post Internet-Draft for Entity MIB.
- Hold BOF at Stockholm IETF.
- Dec 95
- Meet at Dallas IETF to review Internet-Draft and the issues raised during mailing list discussion.
- Jan 96
- Post updated Entity MIB Internet-Draft.
- Mar 96
- Meet at IETF to reach consensus on updated Internet-Draft.
- Apr 96
- Submit final version of Internet-Draft for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
No Current Internet-Drafts
Request for Comments