2.3 Internet Area

Internet Area Report

The following WGs did not meet: atommib, ip1394, ipvbi, ifmib, ion.

IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)
- No summary received.

DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update (dnsind)
- Summary provided by Robert Elz kre@munnari.OZ.AU

DNSIND met in Oslo, for one 2 hour slot, as a joint meeting with DNSSEC folded in. The group discussed the proposed charter for the new combined group, and generally favoured dnsext as its name.

Current RFCs waiting for advancement were mentioned, with whatever they were waiting for. A complete list of all pending drafts was also examined, some of which were relegated to oblivion.

The group discussed IESG suggestions for improvement to the 2052bis draft, and generally made progress towards reconciling our differences with the IESG.

Many of the current active drafts were discussed in greater detail, with a few being moved to "on hold, no more active work for now" status, for the others, progress forward was planned.

It was suggested that an "IANA considerations for DNS RR's" draft was needed, the group decided to commission a draft for that purpose.

To avoid having drafts on the agenda, at the agenda deadline, but which have not yet been processed by the secretariat, the chairs proposed setting an earlier deadline for dnsind (or dnsext). For the next IETF, drafts not submitted at least 2 weeks before the secretariat deadline will be considered on the agenda of the meeting only as time permits - and consideration of other drafts will not be truncated to make way for late drafts.

Internetworking Over NBMA (ion)
- Summary provided by "Andrew G. Malis" amalis@lucent.com

frnetmib met for one hour. The status of working group documents was reviewed, and the draft revised charter and milestones were approved and will be sent to the list. Ken Rehbehn presented draft-ietf-frnetmib-atmiwf-02.txt. He discussed the changes from the last session, and several options for being able to use the IWF MIB with the FR service and AToM MIBs. The group agreed upon one of the approaches, and this will be discussed with the relevant ADs and the chair of the AToM MIB WG. Rob Steinberger presented draft-steinberger-frmrelay-service-00.txt. It was noted that this is similar to draft-white-slapm-mib-04.txt, and opportunities for synergy will be investigated.

NITS (Networking in the Small) BOF
- Summary prepared by Erik Guttman erik.guttman@sun.com

The NITS BOF discussed the formation of a working group. The only discussed item for inclusion of the charter of this working group was the completion of a requirement specification and possibly a follow up document of existing protocol specifications which satisfy the requirements. The BOF brought out four types of comments:
(1.) The HOME networking contingent who wanted to solve gateway, VPN, NAT, subnetting and external access into the home network problems.
(2.) The PLUG ANYWHERE proponents who believed that unless we wanted to solve the big I Internet plug and ping problem we weren't solving an interesting problem.
(3.) Those interested in specific technology, i.e., Multicast DNS and (4) those who agreed that zero configuration network autoconfiguration was an interesting goal. Most of the discussion focussed on clarifying and scoping the goals and terminology (especially what distinguishes a NITS network from a larger network, which is whether there is CONFIGURATION). In the end there was overwhelming support for the chartering of a working group, though there were still a couple dissenters in the room. We decided to open discussion on the NITS mailing list for 2 weeks then to submit the charter to the IESG for consideration, with the request that NITS be chartered in the Internet Area.

Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions (pppext)
- Summary prepared by Karl Fox karl@extant.net

The Point-to-Point Extensions working group met for two hours at Oslo. The first order of business was to lay out our strategy for moving our standards track documents forward.

Other presentations included L2TP issues as it moves from PS to DS, AODI, which is about to go to PS, as well as drafts on PPP over SDL using raw lightwave channels, Mobile PPP, and L2TP ATM Access Network Extensions. Another draft, PPP over Virtually Concatenated SONET/SDH Low and High Order Channels, will probably not result in an IETF document, but was presented to attract IETF support for ITU-based standards.

IP Over Fibre Channel (ipfc)
- Summary prepared by Murali Rajagopal murali@gadzoox.com

The WG agreed that we can start working towards a DRAFT STD. WG Charter Schedules for this item was discussed and there appeared to be no concern with meeting the dates. E-mail discussions is slated to begin late Aug.

Ezio (Brocade Communications) updated the WG on the Fabric Element MIB (05.txt). Ezio indicated that a version 06.txt document will be posted as a draft with a Last Call within the WG. Schedule for this real near term. Expectation is to have an RFC before end of year.

David Black (EMC) reported on the Fabric Management MIB (01.txt). He indicated that everything was on schedule and the next version of the draft will have a name change to reflect association with this WG and will be posted before the November Meeting. The plan is to complete this by year end with WG Last Call in Mar 00 time frame.

WG was asked about Ipv6 over Fibre Channel. There was no interest in the WG to start this work, although there was no opposition to it either.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
- Summary prepared by Ralph Droms droms@bucknell.edu

The DHC working group met twice in Oslo. The first meeting was used for discussion of DHCPv4 issues. Here is a summary of discussion items and resolutions:

- WG agreed to collapse mailing lists into two: dhcp-v4 and dhcp-v6
- No support for user class option; will be removed from WG charter
- Bill Westerfield agreede take over server selection option
- Mark Stapp agreed to complete option code recovery process

The second WG meeting was used for discussion of recent developments in DHCPv6 process:

- Develop list of issues to resolve; obtain WG consensus that list is as complete and appropriate as possible
- Develop solutions to issues from list; obtain WG consensus that solutions are correct
- Revise document based on solutions
- Obtain WG consensus that solutions are captured in revisions to specification
- Revise document for WG last call
- WG last call

- List of issues: 8/15/99
- Solutions to issues: 10/ 1/99
- Revised draft: 11/10/99 (Washington IETF)
- Consensus on solutions
- Revised draft: 3/ 1/00 (Australia IETF)
- WG last call

- Current technical issues
- DHCPv4 features to carry forward
- DHCPv4 current work to review
- DHCPv6 new features
- Document structure

IPNG (ipngwg)
- Summary provided by Thomas Narten narten@raleigh.ibm.com

Dave Johnson announced that the mobile-ipv6 draft was resubmitted just before meeting, and it is very close to final, but still needs to have added clarification about IPSEC.

Matt Crawford reported that the DNS lookups document has been through IETF Last Call. Remaining issue is specification of resolver behavior during the aaaa to a6 transition - the straw man proposal for this had very light discussion on the mailing list. He then reported on ICMP Name Lookups, which is near ready for WG Last Call.

Hiroshi Kitamura reported on "Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI)", a traceroute- or pathchar-type mechanism using one new HBH option and three new ICMPv6 messages. Much discussion and no consensus to make WG item.

Lars-Ake Larzon reported on "UDP-Lite", in which UDP's packet length is replaced with with a field called Checksum Coverage that specifies how much of packet beginning of the UDP header should be covered by the checksum. If checksum coverage is less than packet length then that remaining part of packet will not be checksummed. Much discussion, plus question of the appropriate WG to do the work.

Yokagawa Electric Corp reported on the TAHI Project: IPv6 Code Verification, a project that provides publically available conformance and interoperability testing tools.

Hossam Afifi reported on "IPv6 in GSM-like Infrastructure" draft-afifi-sixtel-00.txt. Much followup discussion, it will remain an individual draft.

Bob Hinden reported on "Preferred Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URLs". The goal of the format is to make cut and paste of IPv6 literal addresses into browsers easy. This is an old topic, but some sort of resolution is needed because SLPv2 needs a URL format that can contain literal addresses.

Thomas Narten reported on "Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration". Problem: constancy of the Interface ID could (in some cases) be used for tracking individuals. Solution: change the Interface ID over time. Much discussion, another revision needed.

Erik Nordmark reported on "Update to Advanced API". Existing RFC needs revisions after implementors found parts too complex or to much flexibility. Erik then reported on "Site Prefixes in Neighbor Discovery". Both presentations were hurried due to lack of time.

Rich Draves gave a presentation authored by Steve Deering on "IP(v6) Multihoming Issues". This is the output of a informal design team. Overall recommendation: do a few simple things now (heuristics for source and destination address selection, some aspects of trying multiple paths, and RFC 2260) and provide an archicture that can evolve to support better multihoming support in the future.

Jun-ichiro Hagino (Itojun) reported on "Multihoming: RFC2260 Approach". Focus is on multihoming support that is possible now. This work covers the router stuff, goal is to try to deliver packets of any (source, destination) during failure of one or more of the site exit links. Seems like a good starting point and one component of multicomponent solution.

Rich Draves then presented "Design Team's Proposal for IPv6 Multihoming" in detail. Phased approach, with some simple steps, more ambitious work to be done later. Action items: Continue source/destination selection draft(s)., start work on Simple IPv6 API, consult with experts on viability of 2260 (it is apparently not deployed today).

Network Layer BOF (netwklr)
- Summary provided by Evi Nemeth/Brian Carpenter

The IAB held an invitational workshop on the future of the network layer on July 7-9. The BOF was a preliminary report; a draft workshop report will be published later.