Policy development is required by our key formation documents, such as RFC4017bis and the Internet Society-IETF LLC Memorandum of Understanding. The first policy on which we are seeking formal comment is the process we will use for future community consultations. We will see how this process goes now and adjust future plans based on what we learn.
For each policy we have specified to whom it applies, since sometimes the policy will apply to the Board, while in other cases it may apply to employees or contractors. Our overall goal is to establish a high bar for transparency and conduct.
Start of Consultation Process - Tuesday, June 11, 2019
- This IETF blog post explaining the issues and the consultation process went live.
- An email was sent to the IETF Announce list, pointing to this blog post.
- A project was created on GitHub, which people can access the policies, join the project, track changes, and open issues.
- A new mailing list was created to receive feedback, as an alternative/supplement to GitHub.
One Week Later - Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 15:00 UTC
- A live webinar on is held policies, 60 minutes duration, with Q&A.
- The webinar will be recorded for the convenience of interested parties unable to attend, at a link provided later.
Four Week Review Period - June 19 - July 16, 2019
Starting July 17, 2019
- Board review and discussion of community input
- Revision of policies
- Repeat community input and revision steps if needed
- Formal adoption of policies
Within One Week of Approval
- Approved policies are posted on the IETF website, with links in the standard page footer.
- Email is sent to the IETF Announce list advising that approved policies are posted, with a link to them in the standard IETF website page footer.
- GitHub is project closed.
Finally, as noted earlier, the community consultation process we’re following is new. At the conclusion of this first consultation, we welcome your feedback on how we might improve it in the future.
Thank you in advance for your review and feedback.