Here are a few tips to get the best meeting experience in any situation (taken from the Cisco Webex Meeting site):
Disconnect from your VPN: Your employer may have provided you with a VPN (virtual private network) service that allows you to use the company network while working remotely. You can use Webex Meetings outside of VPN for the best experience.
Choose audio over video: Webex will suggest or automatically lower your resolution and may eventually turn off your video to adapt to your network quality. You can also do this at any time. Learn more at http://cs.co/slow-connection.
Build in breaks: You can get a faster join experience by joining 5 minutes early or even better yet - schedule meetings on the 15th or 45th minute of the hour.
Switch to call-in audio: If your internet audio and video experience or call me/call back does not work, you can keep collaborating. Call in using the dial-in numbers in your meeting invitation to join via your cell phone or landline. If the primary phone number that is provided is temporarily unavailable, the invite includes a long list of other global call-in numbers you can try. Learn more at http://cs.co/dial-in.
There is a known issue of WebEx keeping a WG Chair logged in as, for example, the “CCAMP Working Group,” and switching back to be able to log in to a different Webex session under your own name has been a challenge. Some things others have tried:
- Go to https://ietf.webex.com
- If you are logged in, you will land on your dashboard. Use the right side top menu to log out.
- Then go to the meeting link. Dismiss the offer to start the app. Use “Join via browser.”
- You will be offered to enter with your previously logged in name. Overtype this with your name.
- Join. Acknowledge that you really didn’t grant camera access to your browser(*). And you are in under your own name!
Webex FAQ suggests bypassing using the provided link, which automatically uses your cookies. Use the general link to navigate to the meeting through the use of the meeting number:
- Navigate to https://www.ietf.webex.com/login/attend-a-meeting.
- Enter the meeting, session, or event number into the Meeting Number field.
- Enter your name, email address, and the meeting password. This should log you in to the Webex session under your own name.
Download the Webex App and create a personal log in (as opposed to the log in for the Working Group). Log in using your own name and email address.
Use Share > Application or Share > Content instead of Share > My Screen to share specific applications and prevent accidental exposure of sensitive information on your screen. This will also prevent the entire meeting seeing (and recording) pop up messages and jabber notifications. NOTE: If your application (browser or PDF viewer, for example) has multiple windows open and you switch windows, whichever window is displayed locally to you will be shared with all participants. There is no way to share a single window from a specific application.