Subject: ISN

From: Will Mullaney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:32:08 -0400

About 6 months ago, I put out an open message on the isn-wg list serv
asking if it was still active, seeing as I hadn't seen anything in it
for a while.  I also had offered to help restart it if nescessary.
Shortly after I recieved messages from the two chairs assuring me that
even though things had been going slow they were still going, etc.  I
was also told that these great things were going to happen, though about
a day after that, and for the last 5 months and 25 days or so, there has
been nothing but silence until today (someone else subscribed).  So I
ask this, have the tasks been completed, or has everyone just given up
or forgotten about isn?  Or perhapse, does this list only work once
every six months?

If I'm missing something here, then someone please bring me up to speed,
and if eveyone else has given up, please atleast have the courtsey to
admit that, for whatever reason, you are unable to be the chair of the
group any more and let someone take your place.

Thanks for your time.

-Will Mullaney

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:44:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Will and all!

I am sorry not to have responded sooner as I have been on vacation.  And,
in fact, I am just going on a short biz trip next week.  However, I did
want to ack that in catching up on my email I have seen the great interest
in ISN.

For those who may not know, I am the new Area Director for the User
Services Area of the IETF, into which the Internet School Networking group
fits.  Before Will sent his messages, the chairs and I had been talking
about the future of the group, so the input now is very timely!  In fact,
the business trip I have next week is a retreat for training in my new
position (which is also timely! :-).  I am going to hold off on a
substantive reply to the suggestions about reviving the group until I get
back, but I didn't want to make everyone wait that long before I even said
"boo."

The things to think about, as Jodi pointed out, are concrete documents and
milestones.  This group has a long and interesting history.  There has
always been great interest in the topic of school networking, but I am not
sure that the IETF is the best place to address that topic, partly because
we don't have representation from many teachers.  I have also noticed a
tendency for enthusiasm to be high during meetings, but to peter out in
the interims (which is normal for IETF, but this group has a history of
"re-starting" as well, which I'd like to avoid).

Finally, I encourage anyone interested in the topic to remain on the list
even if you don't feel you have a lot of time to devote to writing or
reading.  Polite lurkers are welcome here. (If you'd like to unsubscribe,
send a msg to [email-masked] with 'unsubscribe' in the body.)  

I will email you more next week.  Thanks for the interest!

April Marine

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Will Mullaney wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:32:08 -0400
> From: Will Mullaney <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ISN
>