Subject: Attn: ISN Folks - Something to ponder...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:26:07 -0800

ISN Folks:

Please read forwarded msg below.  You may want to provide comments back
to Will Mullaney via this list.  I've already forwarded this msg on to
Sepi and Jodi.  Perhaps those of you who will be at their ISN WG
session during the IETF in D.C. next week may want to chat about his
proposal, also.

Thanks, Joyce

----- Begin Included Message -----

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 23:32:24 -0500
From: Will Mullaney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ISN Working group, semi-urgent.

Recently I signed up to be on the ISN working group by subscribing to
the mailing list.  I have emailed both of the listed chairs, and
neither has responded, nor has there been any message on the mailing
list.  Upon looking at the charter, the group seems to be two years
behind schedule and abandoned.

In my local area, we are about to complete a technology committee
proposal, and I will be writing on a similar topic within the week.
While this group also talks about LAN along with the internet and other
topics, information in it is usually useful to a group like ISN.  The
same is true in the opposite direction.

So here is my request and proposal:

A) if ISN is still around and active, please assist me in contacting
the group

B) if ISN is no longer active, would you consider (also, would you be
in a position to) transferring it over either temporarily or
permanently to another chair.  While I am not necessarily asking to
take over the group,  here is the brief outline of what I would do.

Contact several public and private schools in various areas, find out
how there systems, if they have any, operate, learn about what problems
they have had and try to find out what questions they have or had which
were hard to answer.

After completing this, RFC 1578, 1709, and 1746 would be revised to
take into account new technology and problems that has been
invented/occured in the last three years.

After this was completed, I would then try to set up a web site that
takes this information and makes it easy to read by simplifying wording
and presentation.

So again, if the ISN is some how hiding out, please help me to contact
it, and if it is not, please take under consideration of a modified
group.  Either way, please contact me.  If you wish, I would gladly
send you a copy of our FYI's and FAQ's, and I know I will use examples
from RFC 1578, 1709, and 1746 when presenting to my group.

Thanks again for your time.

-William Mullaney

----- End Included Message -----