Subject: ISN Revival

From: Peter Soreanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:32:04 +0300

Hello All,

I took part on an ISN meeting chaired by Jodi Ito [email-masked] at the 
Montreal (1996 ) IETF Conference. We were a small group of well intended 
people, mostly concerned parents. Anyway, a very marginal event of the 
Conference. After that, almost nothing happened. I don't want to blame 
nobody, my purpose is to join the efforts to revive  ISN activities.

I believe that now, with a growing number of interested people and  new 
educational environments, the time is right to continue the ISN activities. 
Will Mullaney suggested a review of the relevant RFCs.
They are:
1. K-12 Internetworking Guidelines (RFC 1709) (66659 bytes) - a 26 pages 
outdated document from 1994, at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1709.txt
2.  Ways to Define User Expectations (RFC 1746) (46176 bytes) - an 18 pages 
description of a 1994 project, at
	ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1746.txt
3. Frequently Asked Questions for Schools (RFC 1941) (150980 bytes) - a 70 
pages in-depth paper from 1996 which  also require  some brush up, at 
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1941.txt

To go further, I suggest that all interested person read at least one of 
those document and try to revise them. Maybe new RFC are needed, e.g. one 
concerning the ethical/legal responsibility sharing between school, 
children and parents.

I am sure that a lot of work may be done using this list, I would like to 
see it active and producing some significant output.

Regards,

Peter Soreanu

***********************************************************
Peter Soreanu, Technical Director
Paradigma Computers & Distance Learning
Yaad 140, MP Misgav, 20155 Israel
Phone: ++972 50 529110, Fax: ++972 4 9909159
E-mail: [email-masked]
***********************************************************