Subject: Call for Judges for ThinkQuest 98

From: [email-masked] (David Lassner)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:42:24 -1000

The Internet Society is currently seeking judges for this year's 
ThinkQuest contest.  ThinkQuest awards $1M in cash and scholarships
for educational web sites developed by students.  Check it out at:
   www.thinkquest.org

If interested, please fill in the application at the end of this
message and send it to the address listed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
David Lassner, Director                               [email-masked]
Information Technology Services                 Voice: +1 808-956-3501
University of Hawaii System                       Fax: +1 808-956-5025
----------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNET SOCIETY
CALL for JUDGES
1998

ThinkQuest is an International web based contest that offers an
opportunity for students 12 through 19 years old to learn about the
Internet, to work with other students and to create exciting tools and
materials that will help educate other students in "the Internet style"
of learning.

Since its beginnings in 1996, ThinkQuest has energized the intellectual
power of students around the world to:

o Use the Internet to create collaboration among students from schools
that have different levels of technology

o Encourage students to build exciting and innovative educational tools
and materials that demonstrate and enrich the "Internet Style" of
learning

o Improve the Quality of Educational Tools and Materials available on
the Internet

THE QUEST

The aim of ThinkQuest is to encourage students, guided by teachers or
coaches, to build "Educational Tools for The Internet" that will make
their favorite subjects more exciting, both for themselves and for other
students.

Using information age tools, students will help reshape how the world
will communicate, learn, and work together tomorrow.

Equally important, students will be experiencing an entirely new way of
learning. It's called the "Internet style" because it takes advantage of
the Net's unique capabilities. It emphasizes exploration, collaboration,
and exploitation of the vast amount of information on the Internet and
the World Wide Web.

To help students continue their education beyond high school, Thinkquest
is providing scholarship awards for students and cash awards for the
coaches and their schools. Students can win up to $25,000 in
scholarships; teachers and coaches can win up to $5,000 with another
$5,000 going to their school or institution. 

Prizes will be awarded in each of five categories and an additional
award for the "Best of Contest".

ThinkQuest is sponsored by Advanced Network and Services,
(http://www.advanced.org) and endorsed by The GlobalSchoolnet,
(http://www.gsn.org) and the Internet Society (http://www.isoc.org)

Thinkquest has been honored with both National and International Awards,
including, The 1996 Thomas Edison Award for "Inventing Tomorrow's
Schools" and the 1996 "Educating Jessica's Generation" Award, the 1998
GII Award for Education and the First Annual Digiglobe Multimedia Award 
(http://www.advanced.org/ThinkQuest/compete/com-honorsfr.html)

To become involved in this important and exciting competition, The
Internet Society is seeking individuals to serve as judges. Judging
candidates need to have experience with and expertise in web based
learning and subject-matter expertise in one of the following
categories: math and science, arts and literature, sports, social
sciences, and interdisciplinary topics.

The 1998 ThinkQuest Contest closed for applications on February 28, 1998
with over 2000 teams from all over the globe submitting proposals for
ThinkQuest Entries. The student team members have until August 31,1998
to submit their entries. 

The judging period will begin on September 7, 1998 and be completed by
October 9, 1998. There will be two levels of judging activity during
that time frame but judges should be prepared to review 14-18 websites
with in a two week period. The judging process takes place via an online
virtual judging system. You should expect to spend on the average of one
hour on each site. Judges must have at least Netscape 3.0, Internet
Explorer 3.0 or similar product.

An honorarium will be provided.

If you would be interested in participating, please complete the
following information and send it to [email-masked] as soon as
possible and no later than July 31,1998. Notification of application
acceptance will be no later than August 7, 1998.  If you know a
colleague who would also be interested, please forward this application
to their attention. If you have any questions please send email to:
[email-masked] 

Thank you,
Lisa Ernst
Program Director
Internet Society

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name:
Institution:
Position/Title:
email:

Daytime Phone:
Evening Phone:

Home Mailing Address:

1. Describe your access to the Internet and use of the World Wide Web
and Web browsers (a minimum of Netscape 3.0, Internet Explorer 3.0 or
similar product is required)

2. Educational technology, especially kids' use of the Web and the
Internet;

3. Web page implementation (HTML, Forms, Java, JavaScript, CGI
programming).

4. Subject Matter Expertise. The TQ categories are as follows. Choose
which subject(s)
you prefer to judge.

Science & Mathematics [   ]
Arts & Literature [   ]
Social Sciences [   ]
Interdisciplinary [   ]
Sports and Health [   ]

5. Describe any experience you have in judging contests (e.g. science
fairs) or evaluating proposals.

6. Anything else you'd like to say about yourself?

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF PEOPLE YOU THINK WOULD BE TERRIFIC
JUDGES, SEND YOUR SUGGESTIONS TO: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tammie Jones)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:33:19 +0300

At 5:42 PM 6/22/98, David Lassner wrote:
>Name:  Tammie D. Jones
>Institution:  Montgomery Public School System, Brewbaker Jr. High School
>
>Position/Title:  Technology Coordinator/Technology Education Teacher
>email:  [email-masked]
>
>Daytime Phone:  334 262-0130  school - 334 284-8065/8008
>Evening Phone:  334 262 - 0130
>
>Home Mailing Address:
>
>1149 Oakbrook Drive
Montgomery, Alabama  36110
>similar product is required)

Access at home and school.  Use the WWW to research lesson plans, grants,
etc. for other teachers and classroom.  Access to Netscape and Internet
Explorere 4.0
>2. Educational technology, especially kids' use of the Web and the

Students are given reports to research and at least one reference must come
from the Web.  Students are given "Eye on Technology" Bi-Weekly Reports.
They are encouraged to use the web as a resource for finding  new, current,
emerging, or future technologies.  Educational Technology:  Powerpoint,
Excel, Word, Works, Hyperstudio, CAD, Robotics, CNC, etc.; digital camera,
etc.  Participates in many workshops, and attended the last NSBA conference
held in Denver, CO.
>3. Web page implementation (HTML, Forms, Java, JavaScript, CGI

Currently working on web site (Frontpage 98) for a  local cathol
educational institute where I serve as a board member and technology
leader.
>Science & Mathematics [ x  ]
>Arts & Literature [   ]
>Social Sciences [   ]
>Interdisciplinary [ x  ]
>Sports and Health [   ]
>
>
>

For the past three years, I have serve as a judge for the Alabama
Educational Technology Association, both regional and state levels.
>
>6. Anything else you'd like to say about yourself?  I have seven years of
>teaching experience in the area of educational technology.  I have
>conducted workshops for other teachers on how technology integration.  I
>have a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.  Also, my experience includes
>more than 15 years experience in working with computers.
>GOAL:  To empower teachers and students in the use of technology as a tool
>to enhance learning!
>
>
>

Tammie Jones
[email-masked]
Technology Coordinator
Brewbaker Junior High
Montgomery, Alabama