Subject: [Anima-signaling] Additional requirement?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 08:08:44 +1200

Since Toerless and Michael R have been expressing a fairly strong gut
feeling on the CBOR/JSON thread, I think we need to back that up
by expressing a requirement that could justify that gut feeling.

We already have requirements for "any kind of network parameter" and
"flexible and extensible message format".

So here's a proposed additional requirement:

"It should be straightforward for ASA designers to define new objectives
and for programmers to express them conveniently, without negative impact
on run-time efficiency."

What do people think?

    Brian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 17:27:44 -0400

> and for programmers to express them conveniently, without negative impact

I think that I don't know what "straightforward" is.

To re-iterate my concern is mostly for ad-hoc extensibility of new
objectives.  I think that it shouldn't take an Internet Draft to get a unique
handle for a new objective, and maybe not even Expert Review.  Having said
that, we will gain most by standardization of objectives, but we have to let
people figure things out before they can reach consensus.

JSON is not the only way to achieve this: Radius, DHCP and SNMP all have
straightforward methods to do this, and we could leverage one of them.
(Probably Diameter too)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 14:42:47 +1200

> I think that I don't know what "straightforward" is.

Well, I've put a version of this into the wiki (avoiding "straightforward",
which was straightforward).
> people figure things out before they can reach consensus.

Fully agree.

> straightforward methods to do this, and we could leverage one of them.

We could certainly leverage their experience, and the current draft
tries to make it as easy as getting a PEN to get your own range
of objectives. In a text-oriented solution, it could be as easy as
getting your own DNS name.

    Brian