Subject: [Asrg] Existing practice with IMAP junk/nonjunk flag

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Mar 2010 06:08:51 -0000

A Friend points out, and I have verified, that there is considerable
existing practice with MUA IMAP junk flags if you choose to look.

Thunderbird adds a flag called Junk to a message if it's flagged as
junk, and a flag called NonJunk to a message that has the junk
indicator subsequently turned off.  Different IMAP servers store the
flag differently, but it's generally pretty easy to find -- Courier
puts it in a per-folder file, Dovecot adds lowercase code letters to
the message's filename, with a file called dovecot-keywords to tell
you what the letters mean.

Apparently other MUAs such as Apple Mail, pre-Thunderbird Eudora,
and Outlook also set similar IMAP flags.  Anyone used them?  The
friend says he's using Dovecot and uses the flags to train
spamassassin.

R's,
John

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:36:42 +0100

On 09/Mar/10 07:08, John Levine wrote:
> Thunderbird adds a flag called Junk to a message if it's flagged as junk, and a flag called NonJunk to a message that has the junk indicator subsequently turned off.

The flag can also be set by the server on delivery, to prevent TB from 
filtering specific messages (since filtering can only be en/dis-abled 
on a global basis.)