Subject: RE: On pipelining -Reply

From: Miles Sabin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:25:15 -0000

Daniel Hellerstein wrote,
> server side includes in GETs of html documents might cause 
> changes in  "state" variables.).

That's not allowed. GET is idempotent which implies it must
be stateless.

You should be using POST for that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Miles

-- 
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews
+44 (0)20 8817 4030               London, W6 0LJ, England
[email-masked]          http://www.cromwellmedia.com/

---

From: "Christopher K. St. John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:28:33 -0600

> You should be using POST for that sort of thing.

 SHOULD (in the rfc2119 sense) is unfortunately the operative
word here. GET's idempotence is a SHOULD, not a MUST. Reference
rfc2616, section 9.1.1. 

-cks