Subject: Browser support for request pipelining

From: Miles Sabin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:08:51 -0000

Does anybody have any stats on which or how many, if any, 
mainstream browsers will pipeline requests over a persistent 
connection as per RFC2616 8.1.1.

Cheers,

Miles

-- 
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews
+44 (0)20 8817 4030               London, W6 0LJ, England
[email-masked]          http://www.cromwellmedia.com/

---

From: Patrik Winroth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:44:46 +0100

I have performed some limited tests while developing our
Web Robustifier.
I found that Netscape Navigator 4.61/Linux doesn't support
pipelining as per RFC2616. It does however pipeline if
you browse a Netscape Enterprise server. I assume it is using
the explicit Keep-Alive (RFC2616:19.6.2) method.
Internet Explorer v4.72.3110 does support RFC2616 pipelining
though, I have tested browsing Apache/1.3.9/Linux.
Trying to browse the same Netscape Enterprise server (with IE)
that supported 'Keep-Alive' pipelining when browsed with the
Netscape Navigator did not result in a pipelined connection
though.
  
These are just my limited findings, so far. It would be nice
if anyone else had more extensive tests to share.

Cheers,

/Patrik.