Subject: RFC2617 errata?

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:35:59 -0700

Browsing 2617, I came across:

    credentials = auth-scheme #auth-param

Is this missing a 1*SP?

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 22:16:00 -0600 (MDT)

>     credentials = auth-scheme #auth-param

My understanding is that since auth-scheme ends with a token and
auth-param starts with a token, LWS is implied by the BNF:

   implied *LWS
      The grammar described by this specification is word-based. Except
      where noted otherwise, linear white space (LWS) can be included
      between any two adjacent words (token or quoted-string), and
      between adjacent words and separators, without changing the
      interpretation of a field. At least one delimiter (LWS and/or
      separators) MUST exist between any two tokens (for the definition
      of "token" below), since they would otherwise be interpreted as a
      single token.

However, for consistency and readability reasons, it should probably
be made explicit, like in the challenge case:

      challenge   = auth-scheme 1*SP 1#auth-param

Alex.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:35:08 -0700

Ah thanks. I missed that, and was led down the garden path by challenge, 
as you suggest. I agree that it should be made explicit, especially 
since this convention is imported from 2616, even though it doesn't 
appear to be relied upon as much there.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/