Subject: [hybi] thewebsocketprotocol #27 (new): Divisibility of the server

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:42:53 -0000

#27: Divisibility of the server

 Message posted by Greg Wilkins on 27 Sep, 2010:

 The draft-02 contains the following new text in section 5.2:

     Servers may offload the management of the connection to other agents
 on the network, for example load balancers and reverse proxies. In such a
 situation, the server for the purposes of conformance is considered to
 include all parts of the server-side infrastructure from the first device
 to terminate the TCP connection all the way to the server that processes
 requests and sends responses.

     EXAMPLE: For example, a data center might have a server that responds
 to Web Socket requests with an appropriate handshake, and then passes the
 connection to another server to actually process the data frames.  For the
 purposes of this specification, the "server" is the      combination of
 both computers.

 I completely agree that the combination of all server side components must
 act as if they were a single compliant agent.

 I do understand that organizations like google will (for good reasons)
 probably have their own proprietary protocols that work between load
 balancers, proxies and applications servers, and I'm certainly not
 advocating that we change the text to imply that such aggregate agent
 solutions are not compliant.   However, I believe that we also need make
 some efforts to encourage interoperability between components. For many
 (if not most) deployments, the various server side components will be
 provided by different vendors and different organizations and it is
 vitally important that we encourage interoperability between such
 components.

 So could we also add the following text.

     Components that offer offloaded websocket services which may be
 provided or administered separately from other server side websocket
 components SHOULD for the purposes of interoperability act both as as
 compliant servers to upstream agents and as compliant clients to
 downstream agents.

 See message posted at
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg04190.html

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…             |       Owner:  ifette@…         
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new              
 Priority:  major                 |   Milestone:                   
Component:  thewebsocketprotocol  |     Version:                   
 Severity:  -                     |    Keywords:                   
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/27>
hybi <http://tools.ietf.org/hybi/>
The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBi) working group will seek
standardization of one approach to maintain bidirectional
communications between the HTTP client, server and intermediate
entities, which will provide more efficiency compared to the current
use of hanging requests.