Subject: [hybi] thewebsocketprotocol #26 (new): Comments on draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-02

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:37:31 -0000

#26: Comments on draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-02

 Message posted by Dave Thaler on 18 October, 2010:

 Summary of comments:
 1.      It needs to say how “match” is done on subprotocol values.  Is it
 exact match?  ASCII case-insensitive comparison?  Something else?   The
 recommendation is currently that it can contain domain names.   Do you
 recommend people use the U-label form or the A-label (Punycode-encoded)
 form?
 2.      Should use uppercase MAY/SHOULD/MUST when it’s intended (rather
 than lower-case may/should/must), and there’s a bunch of cases where it
 uses “should” where I suspect MUST is more appropriate.  Similarly some
 places use “can” where I think it should be MAY.
 3.      It says that servers can disconnect resource-hogging “users”, but
 never says how it can identify a “user”.  Certainly not by IPv4 address,
 as that could map to an entire city or larger, not to a “user”.
 4.      The use of the Origin field by the server is a bit vague when it
 says “the server could then decide how to respond (or indeed, _whether_ to
 respond) based on which site was requesting a connection”.  Specifically,
 the server cannot tell whether the client is a browser or not.  I think it
 should say “… based on the Origin string sent by the client”, since it has
 no trust in the correctness of the value, only the literal value itself.
 It’s sort of like a plaintext password here.
 5.      The field “Sec-WebSocket-Draft” would seem an odd name once this
 becomes an RFC rather than a draft.  Why not something like “Sec-
 WebSocket-Version”?
 6.      Section 10 says specifying the subprotocol is optional.  If it’s
 not specified by a higher-layer protocol, what value is used?  Is the
 subprotocol field left an empty string?  Field omitted?  Some default
 value inserted?
 7.      A bunch of typos

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg04506.html

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…             |       Owner:  ifette@…         
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new              
 Priority:  major                 |   Milestone:                   
Component:  thewebsocketprotocol  |     Version:                   
 Severity:  -                     |    Keywords:                   
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/26>
hybi <http://tools.ietf.org/hybi/>
The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBi) working group will seek
standardization of one approach to maintain bidirectional
communications between the HTTP client, server and intermediate
entities, which will provide more efficiency compared to the current
use of hanging requests.