Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:10:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : SDP Capability Negotiation
	Author(s)       : F. Andreasen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-08.txt
	Pages           : 79
	Date            : 2007-12-11

The Session Description Protocol (SDP) was intended for describing 
multimedia sessions for the purposes of session announcement, 
session invitation, and other forms of multimedia session 
initiation. SDP was not intended to provide capability indication or 
capability negotiation, however over the years, SDP has seen 
widespread adoption and as a result it has been gradually extended 
to provide limited support for these, notably in the form of the 
 
 offer/answer model defined in RFC 3264. SDP and its current 
extensions do not define how to negotiate one or more alternative 
transport protocols (e.g. RTP profiles) or attributes. This makes it 
difficult to deploy new RTP profiles such as secure RTP or RTP with 
RTCP-based feedback, negotiate use of different security keying 
mechanisms, etc. It also presents problems for some forms of media 
negotiation.  

The purpose of this document is to address these shortcomings by 
extending SDP with capability negotiation parameters and associated 
offer/answer procedures to use those parameters in a backwards 
compatible manner.  

The document defines a general SDP Capability Negotiation framework. 
It also specifies how to provide attributes and transport protocols 
as capabilities and negotiate them using the framework. Extensions 
for other types of capabilities (e.g. media types and media formats) 
may be provided in other documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-08.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce