Subject: I-D Action: draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 03:54:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Support for Data Reduction Extended Attributes in nfsv4 Version 2
        Authors         : Sorin Faibish
                          David Black
                          Philip Shilane
	Filename        : draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2019-06-28

Abstract:
   This document proposes extending NFSv4 operations to enable
   file extended attributes or xattr to be used in the protocol to
   provide information about the data reduction properties of files.
   New xattrs are proposed to allow the client application to
   communicate to the NFSv4 server data reduction attributes
   associated with files and directories using opaque metadata, not
   interpreted by the file system, but communicated to the Block
   Storage data reduction engines. Corresponding new file attributes
   are proposed to allow clients and client applications to query the
   server for data reduction xattr support and allow to get and set
   data reduction xattrs on files and directories. Such data reduction
   metadata is used as hints to the file server about what type of data
   reduction to apply. The proposed data reduction attributes include
   achievable ratios for compression and deduplication plus whether
   each data reduction technique applies to the file.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/