Subject: I-D Action: draft-klensin-newtrk-8540style-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 09:15:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : RFC Publication of Errata of Standards Track Documents Considered Harmful
        Author          : John C Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-newtrk-8540style-harmful-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-06-07

Abstract:
   There appear to be some recent trends in the IETF, involving both
   published documents and proposals, to use Informational Documents to
   effectively update Standards Track ones, presenting documents as
   normative while avoiding the requirements for a higher level of
   community review and consensus and relationship tracking that would
   be required, in practice, for Standards Track updates RFC 4460,
   titled "Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Specification
   Errata and Issues" and RFC 8540, titled "Stream Control Transmission
   Protocol: Errata and Issues in RFC 4960", were published as
   Informational documents although their clear intent is to update, or
   posit alternatives to some of the provisions of, RFcs 2960 and 4960
   respectively.  This critique suggests that it is undesirable for the
   IETF to publish documents of that type and form, explains the
   reasons, and identifies several alternatives.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-newtrk-8540style-harmful/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-newtrk-8540style-harmful-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-klensin-newtrk-8540style-harmful-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/