Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:56:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
                          Abhay Karandikar
                          David R. Crowe
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-05.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2019-06-10

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), outlines the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement considerations. EzIP may
   expand an IPv4 address by a factor of 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 based Internet, or the current private networks. It is
   in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only
   both direct and private network connectivity, but also their
   interoperability. EzIP deployments may coexist with existing Internet
   traffic and the IoT (Internet of Things) operations without
   perturbing their setups, while offering end-users the freedom to
   indepdently choose which service. EzIP may be implemented as a
   software or firmware enhancement to Internet edge routers or private
   network routing gateways, wherever needed, or simply installed as an
   inline adjunct hardware module between the two, enabling a seamless
   introduction. The 256M case detailed here establishes a complete
   spherical layer of routers for interfacing between the Internet fabic
   (core plus edge routers) and the end user premises. Incorporating
   caching proxy technology in the gateway, a fairly large geographical
   region may enjoy EzIP as address expansion using as little as one
   ordinary IPv4 public address utilizing IP packets with degenerated
   EzIP header. If IPv4 public pool allocations were reorganized, the
   assignable pool could be multiplied by 512M times or even more. EzIP
   will immediately resolve local IPv4 address shortages, while being
   transparent to the rest of the Internet. Under the Dual-Stack
   environment, these proposed interim facilities will relieve the IPv4
   address shortage issue, while affording IPv6 more time to reach
   maturity and to provide the availability levels required for
   delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/