Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 10:20:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Source Packet Routing in Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Integration of Network Service Header (NSH) and Segment Routing for Service Function Chaining (SFC)
        Authors         : James N Guichard
                          Jeff Tantsura
	Filename        : draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-05.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2021-05-09

Abstract:
   This document describes the integration of Network Service Header
   (NSH) [RFC8300] and Segment Routing (SR) [RFC8402], as well as
   encapsulation details, to support Service Function Chaining (SFC)
   [RFC7665] in an efficient manner while maintaining separation of the
   service and transport planes as originally intended by the SFC
   architecture.

   Combining these technologies allows SR to be used for steering
   packets between Service Function Forwarders (SFF) along a given
   Service Function Path (SFP) while NSH has the responsibility for
   maintaining the integrity of the service plane, the SFC instance
   context, and any associated metadata.

   The integration described in this document demonstrates that NSH and
   SR can work jointly and complement each other leaving the network
   operator with the flexibility to use whichever transport technology
   makes sense in specific areas of their network infrastructure, and
   still maintain an end-to-end service plane using NSH.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/