Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 05:04:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement and Use Cases of Application-aware Networking (APN)
        Authors         : Zhenbin Li
                          Shuping Peng
                          Daniel Voyer
                          Chongfeng Xie
                          Peng Liu
                          Zhuangzhuang Qin
                          Gyan Mishra
                          Kentaro Ebisawa
                          Stefano Previdi
                          James N Guichard
	Filename        : draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2021-05-24

Abstract:
   Network operators are facing the challenge of providing better
   network services for users.  As the ever-developing 5G and industrial
   verticals evolve, more and more services that have diverse network
   requirements such as ultra-low latency and high reliability are
   emerging, and therefore differentiated service treatment is desired
   by users.  On the other hand, as network technologies such as
   Hierarchical QoS (H-QoS), SR Policy, and Network Slicing keep
   evolving, the network has the capability to provide more fine-
   granularity differentiated services.  However, network operators are
   typically unware of the applications that are traversing their
   network infrastructure, which means that not very effective
   differentiated service treatment can be provided to the traffic
   flows.  As network technologies evolve including deployments of IPv6,
   SRv6, Segment Routing over MPLS dataplane, the programmability
   provided by IPv6 and Segment Routing can be augmented by conveying
   application related information into the network satifying the fine-
   granularity requirements.

   This document analyzes the existing problems caused by lack of
   service awareness, and outlines various use cases that could benefit
   from an Application-aware Networking (APN) framework.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/