Subject: I-D Action: draft-kunze-ark-34.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:31:54 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The ARK Identifier Scheme
        Authors         : John A. Kunze
                          Emmanuelle Bermès
	Filename        : draft-kunze-ark-34.txt
	Pages           : 45
	Date            : 2022-01-19

Abstract:
   The ARK (Archival Resource Key) naming scheme is designed to
   facilitate the high-quality and persistent identification of
   information objects.  The label "ark:" marks the start of a core ARK
   identifier that can be made actionable by prepending the beginning of
   a URL.  Meant to be usable after today's networking technologies
   become obsolete, that core should be recognizable in the future as a
   globally unique ARK independent of the URL hostname, HTTP, etc.  A
   founding principle of ARKs is that persistence is purely a matter of
   service and neither inherent in an object nor conferred on it by a
   particular naming syntax.  The best any identifier can do is lead
   users to services that support robust reference.  A full-functioning
   ARK leads the user to the identified object and, with the "?info"
   inflection appended, returns a metadata record and a commitment
   statement that is both human- and machine-readable.  Tools exist for
   minting, binding, and resolving ARKs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kunze-ark/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kunze-ark-34

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kunze-ark-34

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts