Subject: I-D Action: draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-all-safi-ipv6nh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:54:48 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6-Only PE Design for IPv4-NLRI All SAFI over IPv6-NH
        Author          : Gyan Mishra
	Filename        : draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-all-safi-ipv6nh-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2022-01-11

Abstract:
   As Enterprises and Service Providers upgrade their brown field or
   green field MPLS/SR core to an IPv6 transport, Multiprotocol BGP (MP-
   BGP)now plays an important role in the transition of their Provider
   (P) core network as well as Provider Edge (PE) Inter-AS peering
   network from IPv4 to IPv6.  Operators must be able to continue to
   support IPv4 customers when both the Core and Edge networks are
   IPv6-Only.

   This document details an important External BGP (eBGP) PE-PE Inter-AS
   IPv6-Only peering design that leverages the MP-BGP capability
   exchange by using IPv6 peering as pure transport, allowing both IPv4
   Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) and IPv6 Network Layer
   Reachability Information (NLRI)to be carried over the same (Border
   Gateway Protocol) BGP TCP session for all Address Family Identifiers
   (AFI) and Subsequent Address Family Identifiers(SAFI).  The design
   change provides the same Dual Stacking functionality that exists
   today with separate IPv4 and IPv6 BGP sessions as we have today.
   With this design change from a control plane perspective a single
   IPv6-Only peer is required for both IPv4 and IPv6 routing updates and
   from a data plane forwarindg perspective an IPv6 address need only be
   configured on the PE to PE Inter-AS peering interface for both IPv4
   and IPv6 packet forwarding.  This document extends the IPv6-Only PE-
   CE peering architecture defined in
   [I-D.ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design] to PE-PE inter-as peering
   architecture where the 4to6 softwire is now extended to Inter-AS L3
   VPN options Option-A, Option-AB and Option-C and now applies to all
   AFI/SAFI ubiquitously.  As service providers migrate to Segment
   Routing architecture SR-MPLS and SRv6, VPN overlay exsits as well,
   and thus Inter-AS options Option-A, Option-AB and Option-C are still
   applicable and thus this extension of IPv6-Only peering architecure
   extension to Inter-AS peering is very relevant to Segment Routing as
   well.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-all-safi-ipv6nh/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mishra-bess-ipv4nlri-all-safi-ipv6nh-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts