Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-int-aggregation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:34:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : On Higher Levels of Address Aggregation
        Author          : Tony Li,
	Filename        : draft-li-int-aggregation-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2022-01-31

Abstract:
   Routing and addressing are inexorably tied, and the scalability of
   the routing system is wholly dependent on the abstraction and
   allocation of the address space.  The addressing architecture for the
   Internet was set forth in [RFC1518], [RFC4632], and [RFC4291].  These
   describe how address aggregation can be performed at the ISP and
   local level.

   Address allocation and assignment procedures by the Regional Internet
   Registries (RIRs) have created large address blocks.  This creates an
   opportunity for further aggregation above the ISP level without any
   change to existing allocations.

   This document discusses issues regarding address aggregation above
   the ISP level, for continents or regions, thereby providing
   additional address space aggregation and efficiency in the routing
   system.  Small changes to address allocation policies can help to
   ensure futher aggregations and improvements in routing efficiency.
   Some of these concepts were discussed as part of the Routing and
   Addressing meetings [RFC1380] and extended further here.

   This document is not advocating geographical assignment below the
   continental level.  That has been thoroughly discussed previously.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-int-aggregation/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-int-aggregation-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts