Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-docsis-q-protection-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:23:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The DOCSIS(r) Queue Protection Algorithm to Preserve Low Latency
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-docsis-q-protection-02.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2022-01-31

Abstract:
   This informational document explains the specification of the queue
   protection algorithm used in DOCSIS technology since version 3.1.  A
   shared low latency queue relies on the non-queue-building behaviour
   of every traffic flow using it.  However, some flows might not take
   such care, either accidentally or maliciously.  If a queue is about
   to exceed a threshold level of delay, the queue protection algorithm
   can rapidly detect the flows most likely to be responsible.  It can
   then prevent harm to other traffic in the low latency queue by
   ejecting selected packets (or all packets) of these flows.  The
   document is designed for three types of audience: a) congestion
   control designers who need to understand how to keep on the 'good'
   side of the algorithm; b) implementers of the algorithm who want to
   understand it in more depth; and c) designers of algorithms with
   similar goals, perhaps for non-DOCSIS scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-docsis-q-protection/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-briscoe-docsis-q-protection-02.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-docsis-q-protection-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts