Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 08:23:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Challenges for the Internet Routing Infrastructure Introduced by Semantic Routing
        Authors         : Daniel King
                          Adrian Farrel
                          Christian Jacquenet
	Filename        : draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-06.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2022-01-22

Abstract:
   Historically, the meaning of an IP address has been to identify an
   interface on a network device.  Routing protocols were developed
   based on the assumption that a destination address had this semantic.

   Over time, routing decisions were enhanced to route packets according
   to additional information carried within the packets and dependent on
   policy coded in, configured at, or signaled to the routers.

   Many proposals have been made to add semantics to IP packets by
   placing additional information into existing fields, by adding
   semantics to IP addresses, or by adding fields to the packets.  The
   intent is to facilitate routing decisions based on these additional
   semantics in order to provide differentiated paths for different
   packet flows distinct from shortest path first or path vector
   routing.  We call this approach "Semantic Routing".

   This document describes the challenges to the existing routing system
   that are introduced by Semantic Routing.  It then summarizes the
   opportunities for research into new or modified routing protocols to
   make use of additional semantics.

   This document is presented as a study to support further research
   into clarifying and understanding the issues.  It does not pass
   comment on the advisability or practicality of any of the proposals
   and does not define any technical solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts