Subject: Protocol Action: The User Class Option for DHCP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:15:34 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The User Class Option for
DHCP' <draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a DHCP option that is used by a DHCP client to
optionally identify the type or category of user or applications it
represents. The information contained in this option is an opaque
field that represents the user class of which the client is a member.
Based on this class, a DHCP server selects the appropriate address
pool to assign an address to the client and the appropriate
configuration parameters.  This option should be configurable by a
user.

Working Group Summary

There was strong support for this option within the WG, and no issues
were raised during the IETF Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.