Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:31:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Complications with the IP Network Address 
                          Translator (NAT)
	Author(s)	: M. Holdrege, P. Srisuresh
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-05.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 10-Oct-00
	
Many internet applications can be adversely affected when end nodes
are not in the same address realm and seek the assistance of NAT 
enroute to bridge the realms. NAT device alone cannot provide the 
necessary application/protocol transparency in all cases and seeks
the assistance of Application Level Gateways (ALGs) where possible, 
to provide transparency. The purpose of this document is to 
identify the protocols and applications that break with NAT enroute.
The document also attempts to identify any known workarounds. It is
impossible to capture all the applications that break with NAT in a
single document. This document attempts to capture as much informa-
tion as possible, but by no means a comprehensive coverage. We hope 
this coverage provides clues for applications not covered here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.