Subject: BCP 43, RFC 2939, on Procedures for New DHCP Options

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:20:14 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 43
        RFC 2939

        Title:	    Procedures and IANA Guidelines for Definition of
                    New DHCP Options and Message Types
        Author(s):  R. Droms
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13631
        Obsoletes:  2489	

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2939.txt

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a framework
for passing configuration information to hosts on a Transmission
Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) network.  Configuration
parameters and other control information are carried in tagged data
items that are stored in the 'options' field of the DHCP message.
The data items themselves are also called "options".
 
DHCP protocol messages are identified by the 'DHCP Message Type'
option (option code 51).  Each message type is defined by the data
value carried in the 'DHCP Message Type' option.
 
New DHCP options and message types may be defined after the
publication of the DHCP specification to accommodate requirements for
conveyance of new configuration parameters or to accommodate new
protocol semantics.  This document describes the procedure for
defining new DHCP options and message types.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.