Subject: RFC 2983 on Diffserv and Tunnels

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:21:54 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2983

        Title:	    Differentiated Services and Tunnels
        Author(s):  D. Black
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 35644
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-diffserv-tunnels-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2983.txt

This document considers the interaction of Differentiated Services
(diffserv) (RFC 2474, RFC 2475) with IP tunnels of various forms.  The
discussion of tunnels in the diffserv architecture (RFC 2475) provides
insufficient guidance to tunnel designers and implementers.  This
document describes two conceptual models for the interaction of
diffserv with Internet Protocol (IP) tunnels and employs them to
explore the resulting configurations and combinations of
functionality.  An important consideration is how and where it is
appropriate to perform diffserv traffic conditioning in the presence
of tunnel encapsulation and decapsulation.  A few simple mechanisms
are also proposed that limit the complexity that tunnels would
otherwise add to the diffserv traffic conditioning model.  Security
considerations for IPSec tunnels limit the possible functionality in
some circumstances.

This document is a product of the Differentiated Services Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.