Subject: RFC 2965 on HTTP State Management Mechanism

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:02:10 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2965

        Title:	    HTTP State Management Mechanism
        Author(s):  D. Kristol, L. Montulli
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 56176
        Obsoletes:  2109

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-http-state-man-mec-12.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2965.txt

This document specifies a way to create a stateful session with
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) requests and responses.  It
describes three new headers, Cookie, Cookie2, and Set-Cookie2, which
carry state information between participating origin servers and user
agents.  The method described here differs from Netscape's Cookie
proposal, but it can interoperate with HTTP/1.0 user agents
that use Netscape's method.  

This document reflects implementation experience with RFC 2109 and
obsoletes it.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.