Subject: Protocol Action: The audio/mpeg Media Type to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:41:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The audio/mpeg Media Type'
<draft-nilsson-audio-mpeg-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Partik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This paper specifies the MIME type audio/mpeg which in turn defines a
elementary byte stream containing MPEG frames according to MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2, which is a popular method of compressing audio with a low
quality loss

Working Group Summary

This is not the result of a working group. The paper is specifying a
MIME type for the existing encoding mechanisms, and not specification
of those. I.e. several problems with the encodings were found
(regarding bit errors, frames with non-MPEG data etc), but as said,
this is not a verification of the quality of the encoding mechanisms
themselves.

Protocol Quality

The protocol was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom. Both MPEG-1 and MPEG-2
are encodings which are in wide-spread use.

RFC-Editor note:

Please add a second NOTE to the end of section 1.

   NOTE: The audio/MPA mime type is in use in addition to audio/mpeg.
   The MPA [RFC 1890] sub-type refers to MPEG audio when it is segmented
   and sent as a Realtime Transport Protocol (RTP) payload.

Please insert a new section 3 titled Security Considerations (moving
the existing sections 3, 4, and 5down one), that says:

      Security considerations are discussed in the security
      considerations clause of the MIME registration in section 2.

Also, please change the address of the author from what is there now
(with 8-bit characters) to the following:

5.  Authors Address

    Martin Nilsson

    Rydsvagen 246 C. 30
    S-584 34 Linkoping
    Sweden

    Email: [email-masked]