Subject: RFC 2925 on Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup MIBs

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:49:13 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2925

        Title:	    Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping,
                    Traceroute, and Lookup Operations
        Author(s):  K. White
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      77
        Characters: 150691
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2925.txt

This memo defines Management Information Bases (MIBs) for performing
remote ping, traceroute and lookup operations at a remote host.  When
managing a network it is useful to be able to initiate and retrieve
the results of ping or traceroute operations when performed at a
remote host.  A Lookup capability is defined in order to enable
resolving of either an IP address to an DNS name or an DNS name to an
IP address at a remote host.
 
Currently, there are several enterprise-specific MIBs for performing
remote ping or traceroute operations.  The purpose of this memo is to
define a standards-based solution to enable interoperability.

This document is a product of the Distributed Management Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. 

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.