Subject: RFC 2960 on Stream Control Transmission Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:08:17 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2960

        Title:	    Stream Control Transmission Protocol
        Author(s):  R. Stewart, Q. Xie, K. Morneault, C. Sharp,
                    H. Schwarzbauer, T. Taylor, I. Rytina, M. Kalla,
                    L. Zhang, V. Paxson 
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]  
        Pages:      134
        Characters: 297757
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-13.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2960.txt

This document describes the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
(SCTP).  SCTP is designed to transport PSTN signaling messages over
IP networks, but is capable of broader applications.
 
SCTP is a reliable transport protocol operating on top of a
connectionless packet network such as IP.  It offers the following
services to its users:

-- acknowledged error-free non-duplicated transfer of user data,
-- data fragmentation to conform to discovered path MTU size,
-- sequenced delivery of user messages within multiple streams,
   with an option for order-of-arrival delivery of individual
   user messages,
-- optional bundling of multiple user messages into a single SCTP
   packet, and
-- network-level fault tolerance through supporting of multi-homing
   at either or both ends of an association.

The design of SCTP includes appropriate congestion avoidance behavior
and resistance to flooding and masquerade attacks.

This document is a product of the Signaling Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.