Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:35:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Fault Tolerance for LDP and CR-LDP
	Author(s)	: A. Farrel, P. Brittain, P. Matthews, E. Gray
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 13-Oct-00
	
MPLS systems will be used in core networks where system downtime
must be kept to an absolute minimum.  Many MPLS LSRs may, therefore,
exploit Fault Tolerant (FT) hardware or software to provide
high availability of the core networks.
The details of how FT is achieved for the various components of an FT
LSR, including LDP, CR-LDP, the switching hardware and TCP, are
implementation specific.  This document identifies issues in the
CR-LDP specification [2] and the LDP specification [4] that make it
difficult to implement an FT LSR using the current LDP and CR-LDP
protocols, and proposes enhancements to the LDP specification to ease
such FT LSR implementations.
The extensions described here are equally applicable to CR-LDP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.