Subject: RFC 2926 on Conversion of LDAP Schemas

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:27:43 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2926

        Title:	    Conversion of LDAP Schemas to and from SLP
                    Templates 
        Author(s):  J. Kempf, R. Moats, P. St. Pierre
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 55365
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2926.txt

This document describes a procedure for mapping between Service
Location Protocol (SLP) service advertisements and lightweight
directory access protocol (LDAP) descriptions of services.  The
document covers two aspects of the mapping.  One aspect is mapping
between SLP service type templates and LDAP directory schema.  Because
the SLP service type template grammar is relatively simple, mapping
from service type templates to LDAP types is straightforward.  Mapping
in the other direction is straightforward if the attributes are
restricted to use just a few of the syntaxes defined in RFC 2252. If
arbitrary ASN.1 types occur in the schema, then the mapping is more
complex and may even be impossible.  The second aspect is
representation of service information in an LDAP directory.  The
recommended representation simplifies interoperability with SLP by
allowing SLP directory agents to backend into LDAP directory
servers. The resulting system allows service advertisements to
propagate easily between SLP and LDAP.

This document is a product of the Service Location Protocol Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.