Subject: Protocol Action: Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP, revised to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:27:23 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Reverse Tunneling for Mobile
IP, revised' <draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2344-bis-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard. This document obsoletes RFC2344, currently a Proposed
Standard.

This document is the product of the IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile
Hosts Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob
Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
RFC2344 specified the process of supporting a reverse tunnel from the
care-of-address to the home agent. It proposes backwards-compatible
extensions to Mobile IP to support topologically correct reverse
tunnels. The document has been updated to provide a solution for mobile
nodes that belong in private address domains.

Working Group Summary
---------------------

The WG has completed a last call on version 2 of the document. The last
call was issued in the 3rd week of July. No issues have been raised and
the author believes the document is done.  The WG looked at different
solutions to address the problem of private address spaces in Mobile IP
and decided on updating RFC2344 to be the prefered mechanism. The draft
has undergone a couple of revisions and has been discussed at more than
1 IETF meeting.

Protocol Quality
----------------

The updates to the current RFC (2344) are basically in the appendix
and offers a solution for dealing with private address spaces. No
changes to the protocol itself have been made.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please include "This document obsoletes RFC2344" in the text of the
document when published.

Also, please move the appendices from the middle of the document to the
end of the document.

Finally, please remove the "Changes from Previous Version of the Draft"
section prior to publication.