Subject: RFC 2972 on Context & Goals for Common Name Resolution

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:41:45 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2972

        Title:	    Context and Goals for Common Name Resolution
        Author(s):  N. Popp, M. Mealling, L. Masinter, K. Sollins
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 26252
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    none

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2972.txt

This document establishes the context and goals for a Common Name
Resolution Protocol.  It defines the terminology used concerning a
"Common Name" and how one might be "resolved", and establishes the
distinction between "resolution" and more elaborate search
mechanisms.  It establishes some expected contexts for use of Common
Name Resolution, and the criteria for evaluating a successful
protocol.  It also analyzes the various motivations that would cause
services to provide Common Name resolution for both public, private
and commercial use.
 
This document is intended as input to the formation of a Common Name
Resolution Protocol working group.  Please send any comments to
[email-masked].  To review the mail archives, see
<http://lists.internic.net/archives/cnrp-ietf.html>

This document is a product of the Common Name Resolution Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.