Subject: RFC 2945 on SRP Authentication & Key Exchange System

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:23:22 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2945

        Title:	    The SRP Authentication and Key Exchange System
        Author(s):  T. Wu
        Status:     Standards Track 
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 17843
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-wu-srp-auth-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2945.txt

This document describes a cryptographically strong network
authentication mechanism known as the Secure Remote Password (SRP)
protocol.  This mechanism is suitable for negotiating secure
connections using a user-supplied password, while eliminating the
security problems traditionally associated with reusable passwords.
This system also performs a secure key exchange in the process of
authentication, allowing security layers (privacy and/or integrity
protection) to be enabled during the session.  Trusted key servers and
certificate infrastructures are not required, and clients are not
required to store or manage any long-term keys.  SRP offers both
security and deployment advantages over existing challenge-response
techniques, making it an ideal drop-in replacement where secure
password authentication is needed.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.