Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:31:40 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Extensions to DHCP for Roaming Users
	Author(s)	: B. Mukherjee, B. Gage, Y. Liu, J. Melzer
	Filename	: draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 17-Oct-00
	
This draft proposes enhancements to DHCP so that it can be used to
securely provide dynamic configuration to roaming mobile hosts. The
problem has two major aspects: 1) adding extensible, inter-domain,
user and network authentication functionality to DHCP and 2) to
allow DHCP to function without relying on link layer specific
mechanisms. The first feature would allow authenticated and audited
visited network usage for roaming users while the second feature
would allow DHCP to be used in the new environments like the
wireless data networks. The authentication mechanism proposed here
interacts with existing public Authentication, Authorization, and
Accounting (AAA) mechanisms, thus enabling per customer
authentication authorization and accounting across multiple domains.
In addition, we propose a mechanism that enables the client to
authenticate the DHCP server that has provided it with configuration
parameters. We also describe a mechanism that allows DHCP to work
independent of link layer broadcasts and addressing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.