Subject: Protocol Action: XML Media Types to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:38:26 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'XML Media Types'
<draft-murata-xml-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This document is an update of RFC 2376. It standardizes five media
types -- text/xml, application/xml, text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
Extensible Markup Language (XML). This document also standardizes a
convention (using the suffix '+xml') for naming media types outside
of these five types when those media types represent XML entities.

Major differences from RFC 2376 are (1) the addition of
text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd, (2)
the '+xml' suffix convention (which also updates the RFC 2048
registration process), and (3) the discussion of "utf-16le" and
"utf-16be".

Working Group Summary

Discussions about this memo has occurred on a number of mailing
lists, including [email-masked] and [email-masked].
There appears to be consensus for this update of RFC 2376.

Protocol Quality

Ned Freed has reviewed the specification for the IESG.