Subject: BCP 19, RFC 2978 on IANA Charset Registration Procedures

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:44:11 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 19
        RFC 2978

        Title:	    IANA Charset Registration Procedures
        Author(s):  N. Freed, J. Postel
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 21615
        Obsoletes:  2278       
 
        I-D Tag:    draft-freed-charset-regist-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2978.txt

Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) (RFC-2045, RFC-2046,
RFC-2047, RFC-2184) and various other Internet protocols are capable
of using many different charsets.  This in turn means that the ability
to label different charsets is essential.
 
Note: The charset registration procedure exists solely to associate a
specific name or names with a given charset and to give an indication
of whether or not a given charset can be used in MIME text objects.
In particular, the general applicability and appropriateness of a
given registered charset to a particular application is a protocol
issue, not a registration issue, and is not dealt with by this
registration procedure.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.