Subject: RFC 2963 on A Rate Adaptive Shaper

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:16:19 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2963

        Title:	    A Rate Adaptive Shaper for Differentiated Services
        Author(s):  O. Bonaventure, S. De Cnodder
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 39895
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    none

        I-D Tag:    draft-bonaventure-diffserv-rashaper-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2963.txt

This memo describes several Rate Adaptive Shapers (RAS) that can be
used in combination with the single rate Three Color Markers (srTCM)
and the two rate Three Color Marker (trTCM) described in RFC2697
and RFC2698, respectively.  These RAS improve the performance of TCP
when a TCM is used at the ingress of a diffserv network by reducing
the burstiness of the traffic.  With TCP traffic, this reduction of
the burstiness is accompanied by a reduction of the number of marked
packets and by an improved TCP goodput.  The proposed RAS can be used
at the ingress of Diffserv networks providing the Assured Forwarding
Per Hop Behavior (AF PHB).  They are especially useful when a TCM is
used to mark traffic composed of a small number of TCP connections.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.