Subject: RFC 2970 on Architecture for IDS - Result from TISDAG

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:56:14 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2970

        Title:	    Architecture for Integrated Directory Services -
                    Result from TISDAG
        Author(s):  L. Daigle, T. Eklof
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 40448
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    none

        I-D Tag:    draft-daigle-arch-ids-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2970.txt

A single, unified, global whitepages directory service remains
elusive.  Nonetheless, there is increasing call for participation of
widely-dispersed directory servers (i.e., across multiple
organizations) in large-scale directory services.  These services
range from national whitepages services, to multi-national indexes of
WWW resources, and beyond.  Drawing from experiences with the TISDAG
(Technical Infrastructure for Swedish Directory Access Gateways)
([TISDAG]) project, this document outlines an approach to providing
the necessary infrastructure for integrating such widely-scattered
servers into a single service, rather than attempting to mandate a
single protocol and schema set for all participating servers to use.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.