Subject: BCP 44, RFC 2964 on Use of HTTP State Management

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:48:35 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 44 
        RFC 2964

        Title:	    Use of HTTP State Management
        Author(s):  K. Moore, N. Freed
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 18899
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iesg-http-cookies-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2964.txt

The mechanisms described in "HTTP State Management Mechanism"
(RFC-2965), and its predecessor (RFC-2109), can be used for many
different purposes.  However, some current and potential uses of the
protocol are controversial because they have significant user privacy
and security implications.  This memo identifies specific uses of
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) State Management protocol which are
either (a) not recommended by the IETF, or (b) believed to be harmful,
and discouraged.  This memo also details additional privacy
considerations which are not covered by the HTTP State Management
protocol specification.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.