Subject: Protocol Action: SMTP Service Extensions for Transmission of Large and Binary MIME Messages to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:01:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SMTP Service Extensions for
Transmission of Large and Binary MIME Messages'
<draft-vaudreuil-esmtp-binary2-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines two extensions to the SMTP service.  The first
service enables a SMTP client and server to negotiate the use of an
alternative to the DATA command, called "BDAT" for efficiently
sending large MIME messages.  The second extension takes advantage of
the BDAT command to permit the negotiated sending of binary contents
wrapped in MIME but without a transport encoding.  This document is
replacing RFC1830 (Experimental RFC).

Working Group Summary

This was not a result of a wg effort, even though RFC 1830 was. This
minor update to the document has been discussed on various mailing
lists, and the intention is to move this SMTP extension from
Experimental to Standards Track. There are some implementations of
this extension.

Protocol Quality

The specification has been reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom