Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-krovetz-umac-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 06:36:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: UMAC: Message Authentication Code using Universal 
                          Hashing
	Author(s)	: T. Krovetz et al.
	Filename	: draft-krovetz-umac-00.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 18-Oct-00
	
This specification describes how to generate an authentication tag
(also called a 'MAC') using the UMAC message authentication code.
UMAC is designed to be very fast to compute, in software, on
contemporary processors.  Measured speeds are as low as 1.0 cycles
per byte.  The heart of UMAC is a universal hash function, UHASH,
which relies on addition and multiplication of 16-bit, 32-bit, or
64-bit numbers, operations well-supported by contemporary machines.
To generate the authentication tag on a given message, UHASH is
applied to the message and key to produce a short, fixed-length, hash
value, and this hash value is then XOR-ed with a key-derived
pseudorandom pad.  UMAC enjoys a rigorous security analysis and its
only 'cryptographic' use is a block cipher, AES, to generate the
pseudorandom pads and internal key material.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krovetz-umac-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-krovetz-umac-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-krovetz-umac-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.