Subject: Protocol Action: The Subnet Selection Option for DHCP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:44:09 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The Subnet Selection Option
for DHCP' <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-option-07.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik
Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
To select the subnet on which to allocate an address, DHCP servers
determine the subnet from which the request originated and then select
an address on the originating subnet or on a subnet that is on the
same network segment as the originating subnet. The subnet from which
the request originates can be determined by:

o Using the subnet address of the giaddr field in the DHCP packet
  header, or if the giaddr field is zero;

o Using the subnet address of the local interface on which the DHCP
  server received the packet.

This document defines a new DHCP option, the subnet selection option,
which allows the DHCP client to specify the subnet on which to
allocate an address. This option takes precedence over the methods
that the DHCP server uses to determine the subnet on which to select
an address.

Working Group Summary

There was support in the WG for this option, and no issues were raised
during last call.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.