Subject: RFC 2979 on Firewall Requirements

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:19:31 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2979

        Title:	    Behavior of and Requirements for Internet
                    Firewalls 
        Author(s):  N. Freed
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 14350
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-firewall-req-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2979.txt

This memo defines behavioral characteristics of and interoperability
requirements for Internet firewalls.  While most of these things may
seem obvious, current firewall behavior is often either unspecified or
underspecified and this lack of specificity often causes problems in
practice.  This requirement is intended to be a necessary first step
in making the behavior of firewalls more consistent across
implementations and in line with accepted IP protocol practices.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.