Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rharrison-ldap-intermediate-resp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:44:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) 
                          Intermediate Response Message
	Author(s)	: R. Harrison, K. Zeilenga
	Filename	: draft-rharrison-ldap-intermediate-resp-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-3-28
	
The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) version 3 is a 
client-request/server-response based protocol.  With the exception 
of the search operation, the entire response to an operation request 
is returned in a single LDAP message.  While this single-
request/single-response paradigm is sufficient for many operations 
(including all but one of those currently defined by LDAP), both 
intuition and practical experience validate the notion that it is 
insufficient for some operations.  When multiple messages are sent 
in response to a single request, all but the last of these response 
messages are referred to as 'intermediate responses'. 
  
   This document defines and describes the IntermediateResponse 
   message, a general mechanism for defining single-request/multiple-
   response operations in LDAP.  The IntermediateResponse message is 
   defined in a way that maintains the protocol behavior of existing 
   LDAP operations.  This message is intended to be used in conjunction 
   with the LDAP ExtendedRequest and ExtendedResponse to define new 
   single-request/multiple-response operations or in conjunction with a 
   control when extending existing LDAP operations in a way that 
   requires them to return intermediate response information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rharrison-ldap-intermediate-resp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rharrison-ldap-intermediate-resp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rharrison-ldap-intermediate-resp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.