Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vasaka-xcast-sim-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 06:26:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Sender Initiated Multicast (SIM)
	Author(s)	: V. Visoottiviseth
	Filename	: draft-vasaka-xcast-sim-01.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2003-3-5
	
Sender Initiated Multicast (SIM) is a point-to-multipoint multicast
mechanism. SIM will not replace the existing multicast protocol, but
will be a subset of entire multicast protocol suite. Its design goals
are to gain more simplicity than the traditional IP multicast and to
gain less header-processing overhead than the Xcast protocol.  It
eliminates the cost of allocating global multicast address, by
routing packets according to receiver unicast addresses attached to
packet headers.  Access control can be introduced before, members of
a receiving group are explicitly specified by the sender. A group is
identified by the combination of sender's unicast address and a
multicast group address. The key feature of SIM is in its Preset
mode, which can lessen the costs of route lookups and provides cost-
efficient packet forwarding by using a SIM Forwarding Information
Base (FIB) maintained on routers. Moreover, a SIM tunnel will be
automatically created between two routers that act as multicast
branching points.  Therefore, SIM can gain scalability by maintaining
FIB entries only on the branching routers.
In this document, we describe SIM including its delivery models, SIM
FIB operations, the formats, and security considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vasaka-xcast-sim-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vasaka-xcast-sim-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vasaka-xcast-sim-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.