Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-riegel-ipr-practices-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:33:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Considerations for Intellectual Property Rights in 
                          IETF Standards
	Author(s)	: M. Riegel
	Filename	: draft-riegel-ipr-practices-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), in particular patents are
important for standards development organizations (SDOs).  A patent
grants a monopoly to the owner to control the usage of the covered
technology.  If such a technology is becoming part of a standard the
patent owner can arbitrarily restrict the usage of the standard.
Therefore all SDOs are concerned about patents in their standards.
This memo focuses on practices the IETF may apply to cope with patent
rights in its standards.  The proposal is based on the idea of open
standards and is fully aligned to the current IPR rules of the IETF.
The intention is to retain the mind of the IETF while enabling the
consideration of IPR covered proposals in a defined way.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-riegel-ipr-practices-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-riegel-ipr-practices-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-riegel-ipr-practices-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.