Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 07:29:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Reliable Server Pooling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Aggregate Server Access Protocol (ASAP)
	Author(s)	: R. Stewart, Q. Xie, M. Stillman, M. Tuexen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-06.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 2003-3-3
	
Aggregate Server Access Protocol (ASAP) in conjunction with the
Endpoint Name Resolution Protocol (ENRP) [6] provides a high
availability data transfer mechanism over IP networks.  ASAP uses a
name-based addressing model which isolates a logical communication
endpoint from its IP address(es), thus effectively eliminating the
binding between the communication endpoint and its physical IP
address(es) which normally constitutes a single point of failure.
In addition, ASAP defines each logical communication destination as a
pool, providing full transparent support for server-pooling and load
sharing.  It also allows dynamic system scalability - members of a
server pool can be added or removed at any time without interrupting
the service.
ASAP is designed to take full advantage of the network level
redundancy provided by the Stream Transmission Control Protocol
(SCTP) RFC2960 [4].  Each transport protocol to be used by Pool
Elements (PE) and Pool Users (PU) MUST have an accompanying
transports mapping document.  Note that ASAP messages passed between
PE's and ENRP servers MUST use SCTP.
The high availability server pooling is gained by combining two
protocols, namely ASAP and ENRP, in which ASAP provides the user
interface for name to address translation, load sharing management,
and fault management while ENRP defines the high availability name
translation service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.