Subject: Impending Publication: draft-iab-secmech-02.txt

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:42:43 -0500

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

                   Security Mechanisms for the Internet
                          draft-iab-secmech-02.txt

as an Informational RFC.  This document is part survey of issues,
and part advice for IETF protocol development.  The IAB would
like to ensure that the IETF community has had an opportunity to
read it and comment before its publication.

The IAB solicits comments by March 28, 2003.  Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), care of the document editor
([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].
The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-secmech-02.txt

    Abstract

    Security must be built into Internet Protocols for those protocols to
    offer their services securely. Many security problems can be traced
    to improper implementations. However, even a proper implementation
    will have security problems if the fundamental protocol is itself
    exploitable.  Exactly how security should be implemented in a
    protocol will vary, because of the structure of the protocol itself.
    However, there are many protocols for which standard Internet
    security mechanisms, already developed, may be applicable.  The
    precise one that is appropriate in any given situation can vary.  We
    review a number of different choices, explaining the properties of
    each.

Leslie Daigle
For the IAB