Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:33:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Effects of ICMPv6 on IKE
	Author(s)	: J. Arkko
	Filename	: draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
The ICMPv6 protocol provides many functions which in IPv4 were either
non-existent or provided by lower layers.  IPv6 architecture also
makes it possible to secure all IP packets using IPsec, even ICMPv6
messages.  IPsec architecture has a Security Policy Database that
specifies which traffic is protected, and how.  It turns out that the
specification of policies in the presence of ICMPv6 traffic is hard,
particularly with ICMPv6 packets related to Neighbor Discovery.
Sound looking policies may easily lead to loops: The establishment of
security requires Neighbor Discovery messages which can not be sent
since security has not been established yet.  The purpose of this
draft is to inform system administrators and IPsec implementors in
which manner they can handle the ICMPv6 messages.  Common
understanding of the way that these messages are handled is also
necessary for interoperability, in case vendors hardcode such rules
in to products.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.