Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 06:53:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Advanced Sockets API for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Stevens, M. Thomas, E. Nordmark, T. Jinmei
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt
	Pages		: 79
	Date		: 2003-3-6
	
A separate specification [BASICAPI] contain changes to the sockets
API to support IP version 6.  Those changes are for TCP and UDP-based
applications.  This document defines some of the 'advanced' features
of the sockets API that are required for applications to take
advantage of additional features of IPv6.
Today, the portability of applications using IPv4 raw sockets is
quite high, but this is mainly because most IPv4 implementations
started from a common base (the Berkeley source code) or at least
started with the Berkeley header files.  This allows programs such as
Ping and Traceroute, for example, to compile with minimal effort on
many hosts that support the sockets API.  With IPv6, however, there
is no common source code base that implementors are starting from,
and the possibility for divergence at this level between different
implementations is high.  To avoid a complete lack of portability
amongst applications that use raw IPv6 sockets, some standardization
is necessary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.