Subject: RFC 3467 on Role of the Domain Name System (DNS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:44:09 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3467

        Title:      Role of the Domain Name System (DNS)
        Author(s):  J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 84570
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-dns-role-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3467.txt

This document reviews the original function and purpose of the domain
name system (DNS).  It contrasts that history with some of the
purposes for which the DNS has recently been applied and some of the
newer demands being placed upon it or suggested for it.  A framework
for an alternative to placing these additional stresses on the DNS is
then outlined.  This document and that framework are not a proposed
solution, only a strong suggestion that the time has come to begin
thinking more broadly about the problems we are encountering and
possible approaches to solving them.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.