Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wasserman-ipv6-sl-impact-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 06:52:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Impact of Site-Local Addressing in Internet 
                          Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6)
	Author(s)	: M. Wasserman
	Filename	: draft-wasserman-ipv6-sl-impact-02.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2003-3-6
	
Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) introduces a scoped unicast
addressing architecture, including the concept of site-local
addressing.  Although site-local addresses were originally defined
for use in networks that were not yet connected to the Internet,
there has been work underway for several years to expand the use of
site-local addresses to globally connected IPv6 networks and nodes.
The use of site-local addresses on globally connected networks and
nodes raises complex technical issues for many parts of the TCP/IP
protocol suite.  Many of these issues are caused by the fact that
IPv6 sites are private address spaces, and site-local addresses are
unreachable or ambiguous outside the borders of their originating
site.  Site-local addresses also add significant complexity at the
IP layer and at other layers of the protocol stack.  In addition,
many of the benefits of site-local addressing can be achieved using
mechanisms that are significantly less complex and that cause fewer
problems than IPv6 site-local addressing.
This document makes a recommendation to limit the use of site-local
addresses to isolated, single-site networks, and offers suggestions
for less complicated mechanisms to achieve many of the benefits
currently attributed to IPv6 site-local addressing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-ipv6-sl-impact-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wasserman-ipv6-sl-impact-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-ipv6-sl-impact-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.