Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-soumiya-lmp-fault-notification-ext-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:19:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Extensions to LMP for Flooding-based Fault Notification
	Author(s)	: T. Soumiya, P. Czezowski
	Filename	: draft-soumiya-lmp-fault-notification-ext-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2003-3-10
	
This draft describes extensions to the Link Management Protocol (LMP)
for use in flooding-based fault notification in pre-OTN networks.  
Pre-OTN networks are transport networks that have a GMPLS-based 
control plane and various transport plane technologies (such as 
Optical Cross Connects and Optical Add/Drop Multiplexers, etc.)  An 
important feature of these networks is timely recovery from failures
- using either a protection or restoration scheme.  The recovery 
schemes should also be resource efficient and flexible to meet 
operator requirements.  Once a fault is detected, fault notification
is one of a series of phases needed to achieve recovery.  We prefer a
flooding-based approach to the notification phase because it may 
offer speed and flexibility advantages over using RSVP-TE signaling 
for notification.  Extending LMP to include fault notification is a 
good fit to the problem because fault management is already one of 
its features and many of its protocol objects can be reused.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-soumiya-lmp-fault-notification-ext-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-soumiya-lmp-fault-notification-ext-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-soumiya-lmp-fault-notification-ext-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.