Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:45:05 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: State Machines for EAP Peer and Authenticators
	Author(s)	: J. Vollbrecht, N. Petroni
	Filename	: draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-01.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 2003-3-5
	
The current specification for the Extensible Authentication Protocol
(EAP) does not include a state machine.  The EAP working group would
like to include a state machine for peer and authenticator at the
same time it releases a revised EAP RFC.  This might be done as a
separate RFC describing the state machine, or it might be
incorporated in the revised EAP RFC.

This memo describes a state machine based on an EAP 'Switch' model.
This model includes an additional set of events and actions for the
interaction between the EAP Switch and EAP methods. The State Machine
and associated model are informative only.  They are provided to
clarify meaning of text in the EAP RFC.  Implementations may achieve
the same results using different methods.

A brief description of the EAP 'Switch' model is given in the next
section.  The EAP design working group has discussed the EAP Switch
model as a way to describe EAP protocol interactions.

This document is based on discussions held on EAP Design Team
conference calls.  The State machine has also been presented at
802.1x and 802.11f meetings, and some changes have been made to it
based on feedback from these meetings. Corresponding changes have
been proposed for the state machines for 802.1x and 802.11.

This document is primarily authored by John Vollbrecht and Nick
Petroni, but is based on the discussion and feedback of the EAP State
Machine Design Team.  Furthermore, this document represents the
combined work of two previous Internet Drafts by Bryan Payne, Chuk
Seng, John Vollbrecht, and Nick Petroni.

This document is still a work in progress.  The current EAP document
has not been checked to ensure that the state machine and the
document agree in all particulars.  We expect this to be done over
the next few weeks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.