Subject: RFC 3485 on The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Session Description Protocol (SDP) Static Dictionary for Signaling Compression (SigComp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:50:28 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3485

        Title:      The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Session
                    Description Protocol (SDP) Static Dictionary for
                    Signaling Compression (SigComp)
        Author(s):  M. Garcia-Martin, C. Bormann, J. Ott, R. Price,
                    A. B. Roach
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 80195
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-sigcomp-sip-dictionary-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3485.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a text-based protocol for
initiating and managing communication sessions.  The protocol can be
compressed by using Signaling Compression (SigComp).  Similarly, the
Session Description Protocol (SDP) is a text-based protocol intended
for describing multimedia sessions for the purposes of session
announcement, session invitation, and other forms of multimedia
session initiation.  This memo defines the SIP/SDP-specific static
dictionary that SigComp may use in order to achieve higher efficiency.
The dictionary is compression algorithm independent.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group and the Session Initiation Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.