Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:31:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications
	Author(s)	: H. Schulzrinne, S. Casner, R. Frederick, V. Jacobson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 107
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
This memorandum describes RTP, the real-time transport protocol.  RTP
provides end-to-end network transport functions suitable for
applications transmitting real-time data, such as audio, video or
simulation data, over multicast or unicast network services.  RTP
does not address resource reservation and does not guarantee
quality-of-service for real-time services.  The data transport is
augmented by a control protocol (RTCP) to allow monitoring of the
data delivery in a manner scalable to large multicast networks, and
to provide minimal control and identification functionality.  RTP and
RTCP are designed to be independent of the underlying transport and
network layers.  The protocol supports the use of RTP-level
translators and mixers.
Most of the text in this memorandum is identical to RFC 1889 which it
obsoletes.  There are no changes in the packet formats on the wire,
only changes to the rules and algorithms governing how the protocol
is used.  The biggest change is an enhancement to the scalable timer
algorithm for calculating when to send RTCP packets in order to
minimize transmission in excess of the intended rate when many
participants join a session simultaneously.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.