Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-park-pmtu-ipv6-option-header-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:25:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The PMTU Discovery for IPv6 Using Hop-by-Hop Option 
                          Header
	Author(s)	: S. Park, H. Lee
	Filename	: draft-park-pmtu-ipv6-option-header-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2003-3-20
	
This document presents a new method for the PMTU discovery for IPv6. 
To discover the PMTU of a path, a source node measures its actual PMTU
using the newly defined Hop-by-Hop Option header, whereas a source 
node initially assumes that the PMTU of a path is the known MTU of 
the first hop in the path in the previous one [1981]. In order to 
measure the actual PMTU, the source node sends the IP packet with the
newly defined Hop-by-Hop Option header to the destination node with 
the first data packet when node is beginning. This can eliminate the 
chance of occurrence of several iterations of the somewhat complex 
discovery cycle (sending a packet, receiving a Packet Too Big message,
reducing a packet size). Most of all, since existing PMTU has a weak 
point for security and denial-of-service attacks, this document 
suggests a security function when PMTU is going on.
All IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers, must implement newly
Options as defined in this specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-park-pmtu-ipv6-option-header-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-park-pmtu-ipv6-option-header-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-park-pmtu-ipv6-option-header-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.