Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:44:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The AES-XCBC-MAC-96 Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec
	Author(s)	: S. Frankel, H. Herbert
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-3-28
	
A Message Authentication Code (MAC) is a key-dependent one way hash
function.  One popular way to construct a MAC algorithm is to use a
block cipher in conjunction with the Cipher-Block-Chaining (CBC) mode
of operation.  The classic CBC-MAC algorithm, while secure for
messages of a pre-selected fixed length, has been shown to be
insecure across messages of varying lengths such as the type found in
typical IP datagrams.  This memo specifies the use of AES in CBC mode
with a set of extensions to overcome this limitation.  This new
algorithm is named AES-XCBC-MAC-96.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.