Subject: 56th IETF Meeting - Problem Statement BOF (problem)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:13:37 -0500

Problem Statement BOF (problem)

Friday, March 21 at 0900-1130
==============================

CHAIR:  Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
        Avri Doria <[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

Agenda bashing
   Chairs

Status
   Chairs

Charter discussion
   Chairs

Document process performance
   Henning Schulzrinne

IETF process and architectural input 
   James Kempf

Issues in working group structure
   Ted Hardie

Problem definition/scoping document
   Elwyn Davies

Process document
   Margaret Wasserman

Milestone review
   Chairs

Wrap-up
   Chairs

BOF Description:

Discussions during 2002 have revealed a significant number of thoughts
about problems that exist with the way the IETF operates.  In advance of
trying to change the IETF procedures and rules to deal with these
problems, the IETF should have a clear, agreed description of what
problems we are trying to solve.

This group is charged with producing the document describing these
problems.  The analysis of the problem should deliver the root causes of
the problems as well as the perceived derivative problems.

The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing list,
and that there will be an editing team to produce a clear concise
problem statement on which the group has come to consensus and present
to the IETF as a basis for an IETF consensus.

As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a
process to develop solutions to the problems identified by this working
group.

It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions to the
problems.

The work items will be reviewed in IESG plenary at the IETF.

Goals and Milestones:

Jan 03 Group formed
Feb 03 First I-D of problem statement issued
Mar 03 Problem statement reviewed at the IESG Plenary
Mar 03 First I-D of process proposal issued
May 03 Problem statement submitted for IESG review
Jul 03 Process proposal reviewed at the IESG Plenary
Aug 03 Process proposal submitted for IESG review
Oct 03 Re-charter or close working group