Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:44:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Lightweight Mobility Detection and Response (LMDR)
                          Algorithm for TCP
	Author(s)	: Y. Swami, K. Le
	Filename	: draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2003-3-28
	
TCP congestion control is based on the assumption that end-to-end
path of a TCP connection does not change--or at best changes
infrequently--once the connection is established. However, when a
user moves from one subnet to another, this assumption does not
hold. In these cases, relying on the rate of arrival of ACKs as the
only criterion for congestion control can lead to congestion
collapse if a (group of) receiver(s) can keep sending ACKs in a
regular fashion even after subnet change. What's worse is that a
TCP sender may be totally unaware of its peer's mobility to take
any remedial action. In this document we describe a network layer
independent mechanism by which a TCP host can propagate its subnet
change information to its peer, based on which, the sender can
appropriately reduce its data rate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.