Subject: RFC 3490 on Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:56:00 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3490

        Title:      Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications
                    (IDNA)
        Author(s):  P. Faltstrom, P. Hoffman, A. Costello
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    http://www.nicemice.net/amc/
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 51943
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idn-idna-14.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3490.txt

Until now, there has been no standard method for domain names to use
characters outside the ASCII repertoire.  This document defines
internationalized domain names (IDNs) and a mechanism called
Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) for
handling them in a standard fashion.  IDNs use characters drawn from a
large repertoire (Unicode), but IDNA allows the non-ASCII characters
to be represented using only the ASCII characters already allowed in
so-called host names today.  This backward-compatible representation
is required in existing protocols like DNS, so that IDNs can be
introduced with no changes to the existing infrastructure.  IDNA is
only meant for processing domain names, not free text.

This document is a product of the Internationalized Domain Name
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.