Subject: WG Action: Problem Statement (problem)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:07:01 -0500

A new IETF working group has been established in the General Area.
Please contact the Area Directors or WG CHairs for additional
information.

Problem Statement (problem)
---------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Avri Doria  <[email-masked]>
     Melinda Shore  <[email-masked]>

 General Area Director(s):
     Harald Alvestrand  <[email-masked]>

 General Area Advisor:
     Harald Alvestrand  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement/

Description of Working Group:

Discussions during 2002 have revealed a significant number of thoughts
about problems that exist with the way the IETF operates. In advance of
trying to change the IETF procedures and rules to deal with these
problems, the IETF should have a clear, agreed description of what
problems we are trying to solve.

This group is charged with producing the document describing these
problems. The analysis of the problem should seek out the root causes 
of the problems as well as the perceived derivative problems.

The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing list,
and that there will be an editing team to produce a clear concise
problem statement on which the group has come to consensus and present
to the IETF as a basis for an IETF consensus.

As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a
process to develop solutions to the problems identified by this working
group.

It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions to the
problems.

The work items will be reviewed in IESG plenary at the IETF.

 Goals and Milestones:

   Done         First I-D of problem statement issued 

   MAR 03       Problem statement reviewed at the IESG Plenary 

   MAR 03       First I-D of draft document describing the process by which 
                the ietf will change its processes issued 

   MAY 03       Problem statement submitted for IESG review 

   JUL 03       Draft document describing the process by which the ietf 
                will change its processes reviewed at the IESG Plenary 

   AUG 03       Draft document describing the process by which the ietf 
                will change its processes submitted for IESG review 

   OCT 03       Re-charter or close working group 

 Internet-Drafts:

Posted Revised         I-D Title   <Filename>
------ ------- --------------------------------------------
FEB 03 FEB 03   <draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-00.txt>
                IETF Problem Statement