Subject: Update on the IPR Trust

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 04:02:44 -0400

(sent for Lucy Lynch, IAOC Chair, for those who didn't see
it on the IETF discussion list)

All -

As I outlined in my presentation at IETF 63*, the IAOC is pursuing the
notion of a dedicated IPR Trust. We have been through several revisions of
the Trust document and have developed a formula that we believe will work
for all parties. Below you'll find a summary of the current framework for
such a trust. The IAOC believes that the formation of such a Trust is in
the best interests of the IETF as a whole and we hope to close on a final
document in the near future. Please send comments or questions to:
[email-masked]

*(http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/116.html)

IETF IPR Trust Summary: ______________________________________________

The IETF Trust will be created by ISOC, CNRI and the IETF. Its purposes
include acquiring, holding, maintaining and licensing certain existing and
future intellectual property used in connection with the Internet
standards process. The Beneficiary of the Trust shall be the IETF as a
whole.

ISOC and CNRI, as settlors, will transfer to the Trust all of their right,
title and interest, if any, in and to their respective IPR relevant to the
IETF [specified below]. The Trustees will encourage others who may hold
rights and interests in intellectual property, domain names or other
property relevant to the IETF to similarly transfer all of their
respective rights, title and interest therein to the Trust.

The Trustees will be the members of the IAOC.

The Trust shall be for an indefinite term (limited to the maximum period
permitted by law). Prior to July 1, 2010, the Trust Agreement may be
amended only by unanimous written consent of ISOC and CNRI and two-thirds
of the Trustees. After July 1, 2010, the Trustees, acting by at least a
two-thirds majority vote, may elect to amend or terminate the Trust.

The Trust (acting through the Trustees) shall have the right to grant
licenses for the use of the Trust Assets on such terms, as the Trustees
deem appropriate; provided, however, that the Trust shall not grant any
license that would be deemed a transfer of ownership or abandonment of any
Trust Assets under applicable law.

Initial contributed IPR shall be (as far as the parties' rights extend):

-   Trademarks
-   Domain names
-   Current databases, mailing lists, web pages, working group
    and IESG materials
-   Current I-Ds and RFCs
-   Rights in extracted historical data (records of past meetings,
     past I-Ds and RFCs and their processing history)
______________________________________________________________________
Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu		(541) 346-1774

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce