Subject: IETF Last Call: IESG to advise IANA to release IPv4 option 1-0-22

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:25:38 -0400

Proposed Action:

The IESG plans to advise the IANA to release IPv4 option 1-0-22 (150),
currently registered in the ip-parameters registry as

Copy Class Number Value Name                            Reference
---- ----- ------ ----- ------------------------------- ---------
   1     0     22   150 NSAPA  - NSAP Addresses         [Carpenter]

Background:
This option was meant to be an IPv6-only option.  It appears to have been
registered before the decision was made to split the IPv4 and IPv6 option
spaces, and was never deleted.  The IPv6 version of this option was described in
RFC 1888 and is registered in the ipv6-parameters registry.

Although we know what process to follow for *registering* an option, it's less
clear what to follow for *releasing* an option.  The original requester asked
the IANA to release the option, and the IANA asked the IESG for advice since RFC
2780 lists IESG Approval, IETF Consensus or Standards Action as the options. 
The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the [email-masked] or
[email-masked] mailing lists by October 6, 2005.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce