Subject: Monthly Report for the IAOC for August, 2005

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:05:48 -0400

(Sent on behalf of Lucy Lynch, IAOC Chair)

Monthly Report for the IAOC for August, 2005.

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) was formed 

    to provide appropriate direction to the IAD [IETF Administrative Director],
 
    to review the IAD's regular reports, and to oversee IASA functions to ensure
 
    that the administrative needs of the IETF community are being properly met."

The IAOC is charged by BCP 101 with providing regular reports to the IETF
community; this monthly report is intended to serve as part of this reporting
requirement.

The current membership is (in alphabetical order):

   Brian Carpenter, IETF Chair, ex officio.
   Steve Crocker, appointed by the ISOC Board of Trustees for two years.
   Leslie Daigle, IAB Chair, ex officio.
   Ed Juskevicius, 1 Year NomCom Selection.
   Kurtis Lindqvist, appointed by the IESG for one year.
   Lucy Lynch, appointed by the IAB for two years.
   Lynn St Amour, ISOC President/CEO, ex officio.
   Jonne Soininen, 2 Year NomCom Selection.

In addition, Marshall Eubanks serves as the Secretary and scribe.

The IAOC conducts regular (presently weekly) teleconferences, for which minutes
are currently available at http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/. 

The work conducted by the IAOC during the month of August centered on the
following areas : IETF meetings, establishment of a Trust for IETF Intellectual
Property Rights (IPR), establishment of a contract for Secretariat Services, and
various housekeeping details.

IETF-63 in Paris, France :

The IAOC had Office Hours during the Paris IETF from 3:45 to 4:45 (local time),
Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, and presented during the Wednesday plenary. The
slides from the presentation are available at

http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/docs/ietf-63-iaoc.pdf .

Preparations for upcoming IETF Meetings :

Registration for IETF-64 was opened on August 31st. The IAOC and Neustar intend
to use this meeting as a template to better understand financial flows and
expenses associated with an IETF meeting.

Possible locations for meetings after IETF-64 were discussed at length in
August, and the IAD, along with IETF volunteers and personnel from Foretec and
NeuStar, made a site visit to evaluate possible locations for IETF-65 during the
week of August 22nd.

The IAD and the IETF Chair worked together to develop a survey questionnaire
aimed at IETF 63 meeting attendees to evaluate the meeting itself and suggest
changes to future meetings.  The survey was released publicly on August 17th,
and responses closed on August 26th; a total of  373 responses were received.
Survey results are available at  

http://geneva.isoc.org/surveys/results/IETF63/ .

IETF Trust :

The IAOC met with Robert Kahn of CNRI and Patrice Lyons, CNRI Counsel, on
August 3rd to discuss the the proposed IETF Trust for IPR. Based on comments
from this and other meetings, and their internal review, the IOAC prepared a new
draft Trust agreement during August. After discussion, the IAOC concluded that
this draft would benefit from additional legal review and asked the IETF Counsel
to forward it and the associated License documents for review by other counsel
at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr. 

In addition, during the August 3rd meeting it was agreed that some of the text
in BCP 101 is based on assumptions that the IASA has moved beyond. The final
version of BCP 101, i.e., RFC 4071, assumed that the vehicle for certain
IETF-related Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) would be the Internet Society
(ISOC). Since the publication of RFC 4071, the IAOC has been working define and
create the IETF Trust to hold such IPR.  Since this Trust is not described in
BCP 101, the IAOC decided that a new BCP, to include the IETF Trust in the
definition of the IASA structure, would be of value, and Brian Carpenter
prepared a draft, draft-carpenter-bcp101-update-00.txt, with the IAOC's
assistance, to address this. This draft was submitted on August 17th.

Contract for Secretariat Services :

At present, there is no outstanding contract for the services provided by the
IETF Secretariat. The IAOC is empowered by the BCP 101 to execute such a
contract and is pursuing this matter vigorously. The IETF Secretariat is hosted
by Foretec Seminars Inc., a subsidiary of the Corporation for National Research
Initiatives (CNRI). Foretec is currently in the process of being sold to
NeuStar, Inc. Assuming that this sale is completed, the IAOC intends to contract
with NeuStar, if mutually acceptable terms can be reached, to provide these
services for a term not to exceed 2 years, with subsequent terms being
contracted under a formal Request for Proposals. 

On August 1st, in Paris, the IAOC met with Mark Foster, Jeff Neuman and Alan
Khalili from Neustar to discuss issues related to the shift of Secretariat
services, include the draft Statement of Work, IPR License, and the IEFT Trust.
The IAOC agreed that the IAD and the IETF Counsel, Jorge Contreras, should
prepare a draft IPR License based on the current version of the draft proposed
IETF Trust.

The IAOC and NeuStar discussed the logistics of the multiple agreements and
signings required to begin operations. (In the current proposed sequence, there
will be separate agreements between NeuStar Secretariat Services (NSS) and CNRI,
between NSS and the IETF/ISOC, and between the IETF/ISOC and CNRI.) The utility
of possible Letters of Intent (LOI) between the parties were discussed, but
there is no consensus that such LOI will be necessary or desirable.

Finally, the IAOC and NeuStar affirmed that the text of any realized agreements
will be made available to the IETF community.

Housekeeping :

With the establishment of the IASA and the instantiation of the IAOC, there is
feeling on the side of both the IAOC and the IETF Counsel that a new engagement
letter is needed with this Counsel, Jorge Contreras of Wilmer Cutler Pickering
Hale and Dorr. The IAD, together with Counsel, prepared a draft engagement
letter, which was presented for IAOC consideration on August 25th. After
discussion, the IAOC requested that the IAD seek further clarification of
various issues, and approval was deferred until September.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce