Subject: Protocol Action: 'Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:08:06 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol '
   <draft-harris-ssh-arcfour-fixes-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harris-ssh-arcfour-fixes-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
     This document specifies methods of using the Arcfour cipher in the
     Secure Shell (SSH) protocol which mitigate the weakness of the
     cipher's key-scheduling algorithm.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document is not the product of any working group but has been
 reviewed on the secsh working group list.   IETF last call discussed
 whether it was appropriate to recommend RC4 for use in standards track
 protocols.   As a result of these comments an applicability statement
 was added, recommending draft-ietf-secsh-newmodes to this
 specification in many situations.   Since there is an existing
 standards-track RC4  cipher and since this cipher is clearly more
 secure than that existing cipher specification this document is being
 published on the standards track.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Sam Hartman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce