Subject: Protocol Action: 'Framing RTP and RTCP Packets over Connection-Oriented Transport' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:14:01 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Framing RTP and RTCP Packets over Connection-Oriented Transport '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-06.txt

Technical Summary

  This specification defines a method for framing Real Time Protocol (RTP)
   and Real Time Control Protocol (RTCP) packets onto connection-oriented
   transport (such as TCP).  The memo also defines how session
   descriptions may specify RTP streams that use the framing method, based
   on the connection-oriented media attributes in SDP, often referred to as
   comedia, and soon to have their RFC publication.
 
 Working Group Summary
 
 Framing RTP over a reliable transport such as TCP was originally
 (a sketchy) part of RFC 1889, but when that draft progressed to Draft 
 Standard the working group could not find satisfactory implementation
 reports (and issues such as the need for the SDP comedia
 registrations surfaced).  The working group was able to develop
 and clarify all the needed material for this framing in AVP, without
 finding technical controversies, and it reached a strong consensus.
 This work for other profiles is still to be done.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The GENART directorate provided a review, which primarily addressed
 clarity issues.  The editor revised for this.  An especially careful review
 was received from Bill Fenner.

  Allison Mankin has been the Responsible Area Director.  Colin Perkins
  served as the working group chair shepherd.  

Notes to RFC Editor
 
 Section 4

OLD:
If the session descriptions of the offer AND the answer both contain the
"b=RS:0" AND "b=RR:0" lines, a TCP flow for the media session MUST NOT
be created by either endpoint in the session.
NEW:
If the session descriptions of the offer AND the answer both contain the
"b=RS:0" AND "b=RR:0" lines, an RTCP TCP flow for the media session MUST NOT
be created by either endpoint in the session.

[the word "RTCP" is added before "TCP flow"]

------
Section 5
OLD:
TCP RTP/AVT

NEW:
TCP RTP/AVP

-----
Throughout, including References:

Please change reference identifier  [RTP3550] to read [RFC3550] everywhere

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce