Subject: Protocol Action: 'The LDAP entryUUID operational attribute' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:21:27 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The LDAP entryUUID operational attribute '
   <draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
  In X.500 Directory Services [X.501], such as those accessible using
  the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) [RFC3377], an object
  is identified by its distinguished name (DN).  However, DNs are not
  stable identifiers.  That is, a new object may be identified by a DN
  which previously identified another (now renamed or deleted) object.
  This document describes the 'entryUUID' operational attribute which
  holds the Universally Unique Identifier (UUID) [ISO11578] assigned to
  the object by the server.  Clients may use this attribute to
  distinguish objects identified by a distinguished name or to locate an
  object after renaming.  This document also describes mechanisms
  for matching and ordering these identifiers.  Note, however, that
  not all UUID variants have a defined ordering and servers are not 
  obligated to assign these identifers in any particular order.  
  The matching rule is provided for completeness.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 Though this is an individual submission, there was discussion of this
 mechanism within the LDUP working group as well as on the 
 mailing list associated with the concluded LDAPext working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce