Subject: Protocol Action: 'Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for transmission of IP datagrams over an MPEG-2 Transport Stream' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:57:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for transmission of IP 
   datagrams over an MPEG-2 Transport Stream '
   <draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP over DVB Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt

Technical Summary

   The MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS) has been widely accepted not only 
   for providing digital TV services, but also as a subnetwork 
   technology for building IP networks.  
    
   This document describes an Ultra Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) 
   mechanism for the transport of IPv4 and IPv6 Datagrams and other 
   network protocol packets directly over the ISO MPEG-2 Transport 
   Stream as TS Private Data. ULE specifies a base encapsulation format 
   and supports an extension format that allows it to carry additional 
   header information to assist in network/Receiver processing. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document was produced by the IPDVB working group.  Its
   contents represent the consensus of the group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

Note to the RFC Editor

Dear RFC editor,

Please make the below changes before publication.

Thanks!

Page 3, Section 1 (Introduction): Insert extra paragraph after end:
OLD:
  "The MPEG-2 specification [ISO-MPEG2] requires conformant TS
   Multiplexes to provide Program Specific Information (PSI) for
   each stream in the TS Multiplex. Other MPEG-2 based transmission
   standards may also define Service Information (SI)." 
NEW:
  "The MPEG-2 specification [ISO-MPEG2] requires conformant TS
   Multiplexes to provide Program Specific Information (PSI) for
   each stream in the TS Multiplex. Other MPEG-2 based transmission
   standards may also define Service Information (SI).

   A format_identifier value has been registered for ULE [ULE1].
   This 32 bit number has a hexadecimal value of 0x554C4531.
   Transport Streams that utilise the Programme Map Table (PMT)
   defined in ISO 13818-1 [ISO-MPEG2] and that use the ULE
   format defined in this document, SHOULD insert a descriptor with
   this value in the PMT ES_info descriptor loop."
----

Page 6, Section 2 (Definitions): Insert extra paragraph after end:
OLD:
   "     *4b             Continuity Counter (CC)"
NEW:
    "    *4b             Continuity Counter (CC)"

     If the PUSI bit is set to a value of 1, there is one
     additional field following the TS packet header:
           *8b             Payload Pointer (PP)"
----

Page 23, Section 6.2: Insert extra sentence within paragraph:
OLD:
     "bit Payload Pointer MUST be inserted in the first byte directly
      following the TS Packet header. The value of the"...
                                     ^

NEW:
     "bit Payload Pointer MUST be inserted in the first byte directly
      following the TS Packet header."(This reduces the size of the
      TS Packet payload field that is available for data by one byte.)
      The value of the"...
----

ADD NEW NORMATIVE REFERENCE:
OLD:
   [RFC2464] Crawford, M., "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet
   Networks", RFC 2464, December 1998.
NEW
   [RFC2464] Crawford, M., "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet
   Networks", RFC 2464, December 1998.

   [ULE1] Registration for format_identifier ULE1, SMPTE Registration
   Authority, LLC, http://www.smpte-ra.org/ule1.html.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce