Subject: Protocol Action: 'FTP Command and Extension Registry' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:05:37 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'FTP Command and Extension Registry '
   <draft-klensin-ftp-registry-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-ftp-registry-04.txt

Technical Summary

   Every version of the FTP specification has added a few new commands,
   with the early ones summarized in RFC 959.  RFC 2389
   established a mechanism for specifying and negotiating
   extensions to the FTP protocol specified in RFC 959, by
   means of "FEAT Strings" identifying extensions supported by the FTP
   server, and sent in response to a "FEAT" command.  As the number of
   those extensions increases, it appears useful to establish an IANA
   registry to reduce the likelihood of conflict of names and the
   consequent ambiguity.  This specification establishes that registry.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG document.
   Nothing to note.  There have been no negative comments or objections.

Document Quality

   FTP vendors appear to support the formation of this registry.
   There's every reason to believe that they will use it.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba is the document shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is
   the responsible AD.