Subject: Document Action: 'The rsync URI Scheme' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:32:43 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The rsync URI Scheme '
   <draft-weiler-rsync-uri-01.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weiler-rsync-uri-01.txt

Technical Summary

   URIs were previously defined in RFC 2396, which was updated by RFC
   3986 [RFC3986].  The procedures for registering new URI schemes are
   defined in RFC 4395 [RFC4395]. This URI scheme is already in active
   use in the world, but it has never been registered with IANA.  This
   document makes a provisional registration of the URI scheme that's 
   already in use.

Working Group Summary

   Review was requested from the URI-review list in early July. There 
   is strong consensus on the need for this document (see PROTO writeup
   by Dave Ward in the ID tracker).

Document Quality

   The document has been well reviewed.

Personnel

   Dave Ward and Russ Housley are the Document Shepherds for this 
   document. Ross Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

  Please replace the last sentence of Section 1.

  OLD:

    This document defines a URI scheme for rsync.

  NEW:

    The rsync utility provides fast incremental file transfer [rsync].
    This document defines a URI scheme for rsync.

  Add an informative reference for [rsync].

  ADD:

    [rsync]  http://rsync.samba.org/.

  Please update the first paragraph of Section 2, adding a new sentence.

  OLD:

    This section contains the registration template for the rsync URI
    scheme in accordance with RFC 4395 [RFC4395].

  NEW:

    This section contains the registration template for the rsync URI
    scheme in accordance with RFC 4395 [RFC4395].  This URI
    scheme is for the rsync protocol using TCP as the transport
    protocol.  Other transports, such as rsync over SSH,
    are not supported by this URI scheme.

  Please add the following paragraph at the send of Section 4.

  ADD:

    Many security considerations for the usage of URIs are discussed in
    Section 7 of [RFC3986].  The considerations about reliability and
    consistency, malicious construction, rare IP address formats,
    sensitive information, and semantic attacks all apply to rsync URIs.
    The considerations about transcoding do not apply.  The rsync URI
    scheme has no particularly unique security considerations.

    The security considerations of the rsync protocol are not covered
    in this document.

  Please add a reference to RFC 5234 in Section 2.

  OLD:

    The rsync URI follows the general syntax from RFC 3986 and is
    defined by the following ABNF:

       rsyncurl        = "rsync:" hier-part

  NEW:

    The rsync URI follows the general syntax from RFC 3986 and is
    defined by the following ABNF [RFC5234]:

       rsyncuri        = "rsync:" hier-part

  Please include a reference for RFC 5234 in Section 5.

  ADD:

    [RFC5234]  Crocker, D., Ed., and P. Overell, "Augmented BNF for 
    Syntax Specifications: ABNF", STD 68, RFC 5234, January 2008. 

  On the title page, please change Dave Ward's affiliation to be 
  "Juniper Networks". 

  In the author's address section, please change Dave Ward's address to:

    David Ward
    Juniper Networks
    1194 North Mathilda Avenue
    Sunnyvale, California 94089-1206 USA
    Email: [email-masked]