Subject: Protocol Action: 'PB-TNC: A Posture Broker Protocol (PB) Compatible with TNC' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:56:56 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'PB-TNC: A Posture Broker Protocol (PB) Compatible with TNC '
   <draft-ietf-nea-pb-tnc-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Endpoint Assessment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nea-pb-tnc-06.txt

Technical Summary 

This document defines the PB-TNC protocol. PB-TNC is a Posture 
Broker protocol that aggregates posture attributes between one or 
more Posture Collectors on a NEA client and one or more Posture 
Validators on a NEA server. PB-TNC is equivalent to the 
Trusted Computing Group's IF-TNCCS 2.0 protocol. It addresses the PB 
protocol requirements defined in the NEA requirements specification.

Working Group Summary 

The WG solicited proposals for the PB protocol based on the 
NEA reference model and requirements specified in RFC 5209. The TCG 
submitted a specification to the NEA WG in response to the call for 
proposals. There was broad support in the WG to adopt the submission as 
a WG document. Subsequent WG updates to the document have not been 
contentious.

The protocol document specifies a base protocol and is extensible. 
The WG has discussed the potential for certain optimizations and 
extensions to the above specifications (e.g. assertion attributes). The 
proposed extensions did not share the same level of consensus as the 
base document and also represented significant additional work. The WG 
decided to defer potential extensions to supplemental documents in the 
interests of making progress on the base documents.

Document Quality  

Several vendors have indicated their intention in public or private to 
implement the specification.

Personnel

Susan Thomson is the document shepherd. Tim Polk is the responsible 
Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Section A.3.1.11., second para.

Old Text

  PB Envelope {

    HDR {

     D bit=1 (Posture Broker Server is originator)

     R bit=1 (Retry acknowledge)

     Batch Type=RESULT

     Batch Length

    }

New Text

  PB Envelope {

    HDR {

     D bit=1 (Posture Broker Server is originator)

     Batch Type=RESULT

     Batch Length

    }