Subject: Re: Historic to be: draft-levy-sip-diversion-10.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:48:38 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Diversion Indication in SIP' <draft-levy-sip-diversion-10.txt> as a Historic.

The IESG would also like the IRSG or RFC-Editor to review the comments in 
the datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=6002&rfc_flag=0) 
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levy-sip-diversion-10.txt

The process for such documents is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   This document is a rejected alternative proposal to work
   completed in the SIP working group.

   From the abstract:

   This document proposes an extension to the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP).  This extension provides the ability for
   the called SIP user agent to identify from whom the call
   was diverted and why the call was diverted.

   The extension defines a general header, Diversion, which
   conveys the diversion information from other SIP user agents
   and proxies to the called user agent.

   This extension allows enhanced support for various features,
   including Unified Messaging, Third-Party Voicemail, and Automatic Call
   Distribution (ACD).  SIP user agents and SIP proxies which receive
   diversion information may use this as supplemental information for
   feature invocation decisions.

Working Group Summary

   This is an RFC-editor independent submission.

Document Quality

   This is an RFC-editor independent submission.

Personnel

   Robert Sparks was the responsible AD for the RFC 3932
   recommendations.

RFC Editor Note

   The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done
   in the SIP and SIPCORE working groups, but this relationship does
   not prevent publishing.

IESG Note

   This document contains an early proposal to the IETF SIP Working Group

   that was not chosen for standardization.  Discussions on the topic 
   resulted in the informational RFC3325 "Private Extensions to the 
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for Asserted Identity within Trusted
   Networks", and the standard solution that was chosen can be found in
   RFC 4244 "An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for
   Request History Information".