Subject: Protocol Action: 'Unicast-Prefix-based IPv4 Multicast Addresses' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Unicast-Prefix-based IPv4 Multicast Addresses '
   <draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-uni-based-mcast-06.txt

Technical Summary

    This specification defines an extension to the multicast addressing
    architecture of the IP Version 4 protocol.  The extension presented
    in this document allows for unicast-prefix-based assignment of
    multicast addresses.  By delegating multicast addresses at the same
    time as unicast prefixes, network operators will be able to identify
    their multicast addresses without needing to run an inter-domain
    allocation protocol.

    This draft specifies a mechanism similar to RFC3306, whereby a
    range of global IPv4 multicast address space is provided to each
    organization that has unicast address space.  A resulting advantage
    over GLOP is that the mechanisms in IPv4 and IPv6 become more
    similar.

Working Group Summary

    This draft has received strong support within the working group and
    no major controversies were noted.

Document Quality

    There were several comments made during working group last call.
    The author has addressed and/or incorporated all questions and
    concerns in the document.  This document has also been thoroughly
    discussed and reviewed for several years on the mailing list and
    during the working group meetings.

Personnel

    Lenny Giuliano is the Document Shepherd. Ron Bonica is the
    Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

OLD> RFC 3180 [RFC3180] defined an experimental allocation mechanism
OLD> (called "GLOP") in 233/8 whereby an Autonomous System (AS) number is
OLD> embedded in the middle 16 bits of an IPv4 multicast address,

NEW> RFC 3180 [RFC3180] defines an allocation mechanism
NEW> (called "GLOP") in 233/8 whereby an Autonomous System (AS) number is
NEW> embedded in the middle 16 bits of an IPv4 multicast address,

OLD> This draft specifies a mechanism similar to [RFC3306], whereby a
OLD> range of global IPv4 multicast address space is provided to each
OLD> organization that has unicast address space.  A resulting advantage
OLD> over GLOP is that the mechanisms in IPv4 and IPv6 become more
OLD> similar.

NEW> This draft specifies a mechanism similar to [RFC3306], whereby a
NEW> range of global IPv4 multicast address space is provided to each
NEW> organization that has unicast address space.  A resulting advantage
NEW> over GLOP is that the mechanisms in IPv4 and IPv6 become more
NEW> similar.
NEW>
NEW> This draft does not obsolete or update RFC 3180, as the mechanism
NEW> described in RFC 3180 is still required for organizations with
NEW> prefix allocations more specific than /24. Organizations using RFC
NEW> 3180 allocations may continue to do so. In fact, it is conceivable
NEW> that an organization might use both RFC 3180 allocations and the
NEW> allocation method described in this document.

OLD> Bits:  |  8  | Unicast Prefix Length | 24 - Unicast Prefix Length |
OLD>        +-----+-----------------------+----------------------------+
OLD> Value: | TBD | Unicast Prefix        | Group ID                   |
OLD>        +-----+-----------------------+----------------------------+

NEW> Bits:  | 0 thru 7 |      8 thru N         |      N+1 thru 32       
   |
NEW>       
+----------+-----------------------+----------------------------+
NEW> Value: |   TBD    |    Unicast Prefix     |       Group ID          
  |
NEW>       
+----------+-----------------------+----------------------------+