Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Addressing of IPv4/IPv6 Translators' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:51:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6 Addressing of IPv4/IPv6 Translators'
  <draft-ietf-behave-address-format-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-address-format/

Technical Summary

This document discusses the algorithmic translation of an IPv6
address to a corresponding IPv4 address, and vice versa, using only
statically configured information.  It defines a well-known prefix
for use in algorithmic translations, while allowing organizations to
also use network-specific prefixes when appropriate.  Algorithmic
translation is used in IPv4/IPv6 translators, as well as other types
of proxies and gateways (e.g., for DNS) used in IPv4/IPv6 scenarios.

Working Group Summary

This document represents the WG consensus that accommodates
different approaches for the different scenarios Behave was 
chartered to solve.

Document Quality

This document is not a protocol, but there are implementations in
progress, e.g.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/behave/current/msg08102.html
Several vendors are actively implementing the specification.
Special reviewers are listed in the document's acknowledgement section.

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Dave Thaler
Who is the Responsible Area Director?  David Harrington
The document doesn't require IANA experts. 

RFC Editor Note

  Please be sure IPv6 hex addresses are represented in lowercase hex, as per draft-ietf-6man-text-representation.