Subject: RFC 5931 on Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Authentication Using Only a Password

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5931

        Title:      Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) 
                    Authentication Using Only a Password 
        Author:     D. Harkins, G. Zorn
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 90275
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-harkins-emu-eap-pwd-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5931.txt

This memo describes an Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
method, EAP-pwd, which uses a shared password for authentication.
The password may be a low-entropy one and may be drawn from some set
of possible passwords, like a dictionary, which is available to an
attacker.  The underlying key exchange is resistant to active attack,
passive attack, and dictionary attack.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC