Subject: Document Action: 'Deprecating Unicode Language Tag Characters: RFC 2482 is Historic' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:17:44 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecating Unicode Language Tag Characters: RFC 2482 is Historic'
  <draft-presuhn-rfc2482-historic-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-presuhn-rfc2482-historic/

Technical Summary

   RFC 2482, Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text, described a
   mechanism for using special Unicode language tag characters to
   identify languages when needed without more general markup such as
   that provided by XML.  The Unicode Consortium has deprecated that
   facility and strongly recommends against its use.  RFC 2482 should be
   moved to Historic to reduce the possibility that Internet
   implementers would consider that system an appropriate mechanism for
   identifying languages.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG document. However it was a result of the discussion
   on the Apps Discuss mailing list.

Document Quality

   This document was discussed on the Apps Area wide mailing list
   (Apps Discuss). It was also presented during the Apps Area
   meeting in Maastricht. Many people expressed support for this
   document (publicly and privately).

Personnel

   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.