Subject: RFC 5894 on Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA): Background, Explanation, and Rationale

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5894

        Title:      Internationalized Domain Names for Applications 
                    (IDNA): Background, Explanation, and Rationale 
        Author:     J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 115174
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idnabis-rationale-17.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5894.txt

Several years have passed since the original protocol for
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) was completed and deployed.
During that time, a number of issues have arisen, including the need
to update the system to deal with newer versions of Unicode.  Some of
these issues require tuning of the existing protocols and the tables
on which they depend.  This document provides an overview of a
revised system and provides explanatory material for its components.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (Revised) Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC