Subject: Protocol Action: 'Stateful NAT64: Network Address and Protocol Translation from IPv6 Clients to IPv4 Servers' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:02:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Stateful NAT64: Network Address and Protocol Translation from IPv6
   Clients to IPv4 Servers'
  <draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful/

Technical Summary

This document describes stateful NAT64 translation, which allows
IPv6-only clients to contact IPv4 servers using unicast UDP, TCP, or
ICMP. The public IPv4 address can be shared among several IPv6-only
clients. When the stateful NAT64 is used in conjunction with DNS64
no changes are usually required in the IPv6 client or the IPv4
server.

Working Group Summary

The document represents WG consensus

Document Quality

several vendors are actively implementing the specification.

Personnel

Responsible AD: David Harrington 
Dave Thaler ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
The document doesn't require IANA experts.

RFC Editor Notes

1. Please provide an informational reference to RFC 5245 for ICE, and RFC 5389 for STUN, and expand the
terms on first use.
2. Among the contributors, s/Parreault/Perreault/
4. Please be sure IPv6 hex addresses are represented in lowercase hex, as per draft-ietf-6man-text-representation.
5. in 3.5.1.1 and in 3.5.2.3
OLD:
      In all cases, the allocated IPv4 transport address (T,t) MUST NOT
      be in use in another entry in the same BIB, but MAY be in use in
      the other BIB (referring to the UDP and TCP BIBs)
NEW:
      In all cases, the allocated IPv4 transport address (T,t) MUST NOT
      be in use in another entry in the same BIB, but can be in use in
      other BIBs (e.g., the UDP and TCP BIBs)