Subject: RFC 5982 on IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Mediation: Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:48:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5982

        Title:      IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) 
                    Mediation: Problem Statement 
        Author:     A. Kobayashi, Ed.,
                    B. Claise, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 56005
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5982.txt

Flow-based measurement is a popular method for various network
monitoring usages.  The sharing of flow-based information for
monitoring applications having different requirements raises some
open issues in terms of measurement system scalability, flow-based
measurement flexibility, and export reliability that IP Flow
Information Export (IPFIX) Mediation may help resolve.  This 
document describes some problems related to flow-based 
measurement that network administrators have been facing,
and then it describes IPFIX Mediation applicability examples 
along with the problems.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for 
informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IP Flow Information Export Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC