Subject: Protocol Action: 'Symmetric Key Package Content Type' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:24:12 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Symmetric Key Package Content Type '
   <draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Provisioning of Symmetric Keys Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat-11.txt

Technical Summary

    This document provides the ASN.1 variant of the Portable Symmetric
    Key Container (PSKC), which is defined using XML in
    draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc-05.  The symmetric key container defines
    a transport independent mechanism for one or more symmetric keys
    as well as any associated attributes.  The container by itself is
    insecure; it can be secured using either the Dynamic Symmetric Key
    Provisioning Protocol (DSKPP) [draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp] or a CMS
    protecting content types [RFC5652].  In addition to the key
    container, this document also defines ASN.1 version of the XML
    elements and attributes defined in PSKC.

  Working Group Summary

    The WG agreed that this container would be the optional container,
    but there was a contingent (both in the WG and in the IEEE) that
    wanted the ASN.1 container. The format for the container has
    been stable since version -02. The ASN.1 converted XML elements
    and attributes were added in the last version to ensure alignment
    with PSKC.

  Document Quality

    The document is a product of the KEYPROV working group.

    The text of this document is derived from the XML elements and
    attributes defined in draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc. As such,
    this document represents the ASN.1 based version of the XML-based
    counterpart.
    
  Personnel

    Hannes Tschofenig is the document shepherd for this document.
    Tim Polk is the  Responsible Area Director.