Subject: Document Action: 'Trust Anchor Management Requirements' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:20:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Trust Anchor Management Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-pkix-ta-mgmt-reqs-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pkix-ta-mgmt-reqs/

Technical Summary

A trust anchor represents an authoritative entity via a public key and
associated data.  The public key is used to verify digital signatures and
the associated data is used to constrain the types of information for
which the trust anchor is authoritative.  A relying party uses trust
anchors to determine if a digitally signed object is valid by verifying a
digital signature using the trust anchor's public key, and by enforcing
the constraints expressed in the associated data for the trust anchor. 
This document describes some of the problems associated with the lack of a
standard trust anchor management mechanism and defines requirements for
data formats and push-based protocols designed to address these problems.

Working Group Summary

This document entered the working group following the Trust Anchor
Management BOF and was a successor to the problem statement developed for
that BOF.  The working group discussed the requirements at length and set
the draft aside following working group last call pending completion of
work on technical specifications that fulfill the requirements in this
draft.  Now that work on the specifications is nearing conclusion, this
draft is being progressed as informational to capture the discussion that
preceded and accompanied the development of the technical specifications.

Document Quality

The document is reasonably well-written.

Personnel

   Steve Kent is the Document Shepherd; Tim Polk is the 
   Responsible Area Director.