Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Mobility EXTensions for IPv6
(mext) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not
made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, August 24, 2010.

Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)
---------------------------------------------
Status: Active Working Group
Last updated: 2010-07-28

Chairs:
  Marcelo Bagnulo <[email-masked]>
  Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 specifies routing support which permits an IPv6 host to 
continue using its home address as it moves around the Internet, 
enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports transparency above 
the IP layer, including maintenance of active transport level sessions. 
In addition, network mobility (NEMO) mechanisms built on top of Mobile 
IPv6 allow managing the mobility of an entire network, as it changes its 
point of attachment to the Internet. The base specifications consist of:

o RFC 3775 (Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 3963 (NEMO)
o RFC 4877 (Mobile IPv6 Operation with IKEv2)
o RFC 5555 (Dual Stack Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 5648 (Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration)
o RFC 5846 (Binding Revocation)
o RFC-to-be (Flow Binding Policy Transport and Flow Binding Policy 
  Format)

The MEXT Working Group continues the work of the former MIP6, NEMO, and 
MONAMI6 Working Groups.

The primary goal of MEXT will be to enhance base IPv6 mobility by 
continuing work on developments that are required for wide-scale 
deployments and specific deployment scenarios. Additionally, the working 
group will ensure that any issues identified by implementation and 
interoperability experience are addressed, and that the base 
specifications are maintained. The group will also produce informational 
documentation, such as design rationale documents or description of 
specific issues within the protocol.

The MEXT WG will also explore experimental alternative security 
mechanisms. The security mechanism specified in the existing standard 
track RFCs (RFC3775bis, RFC4877) remains the mandatory to implement 
mechanism that guarantees interoperability between different 
implementations. The MEXT WG is chartered to deliver one or more 
experimental alternative mechanisms. All the alternative solutions will 
be published as experimental RFCs.

In addition, the working group will bring to completion earlier work on 
prefix delegation for NEMO, RADIUS  support for Mobile IPv6, Mobile IPv6 
operation with firewalls, and home agent reliability specifications.

Work items related to base specification maintenance include:
Create and maintain issue lists that are generated on the basis of 
implementation and interoperability experience. Address specific issues 
with specific updates or revisions of the base specification. One 
specific area of concern that should be analyzed and addressed relates 
to multilink subnets.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 2010  Submit the final doc on Prefix Delegation for NEMO to the 
          IESG, for Proposed Standard
Jun 2008  Submit the I-D 'RADIUS Mobile IPv6 Support' to IESG for 
          publication as a proposed standard.
Jan 2010  Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG 
          for publication as Informational.
Dec 2010  Submit I-D(s) related to specific updates and corrections 
          of RFC 3775 to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication 
          as a Proposed Standard.
Aug 2011  Submit I-Ds on alternative security mechanisms to the IESG 
          for publication as experimental