Subject: Protocol Action: 'Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:16:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel/

Technical Summary

This document redefines how the explicit congestion notification (ECN)
field of the IP header should be constructed on entry to and exit from
any IP in IP tunnel. It updates RFC3168, aligning this with RFC4301 for
IPsec ECN processing. It also updates RFC4301 to add new behaviours for
previously unused combinations of inner and outer header. This update is
thought to benefit work on PCN and align IP tunnel behaviour with that
of IPSec.

Working Group Summary

The WG contributed to this work and participated in review of this
document. It has the support of the TSVWG.

Document Quality

There are no implementation reports for this specification, but
interoperability issues were discussed in the WG and the current
specification is thought ready for deployment. Most of the final
discussion was on good engineering practice for the future use of the
ECN codepoints. David Black assisted in performing this review and in
review of the normative wording. 

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Gorry Fairhurst, TSVWG Chair
Responsible Area Director: David Harrington
No IANA experts are needed for this document.