Subject: RFC 5952 on A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:14:15 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5952

        Title:      A Recommendation for IPv6 Address 
                    Text Representation 
        Author:     S. Kawamura, M. Kawashima
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 26570
        Updates:    RFC4291

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5952.txt

As IPv6 deployment increases, there will be a dramatic increase in
the need to use IPv6 addresses in text.  While the IPv6 address
architecture in Section 2.2 of RFC 4291 describes a flexible model
for text representation of an IPv6 address, this flexibility has been
causing problems for operators, system engineers, and users.  This
document defines a canonical textual representation format.  It does
not define a format for internal storage, such as within an
application or database.  It is expected that the canonical format
will be followed by humans and systems when representing IPv6
addresses as text, but all implementations must accept and be able to
handle any legitimate RFC 4291 format.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC