Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

The Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)
---------------------------------------------
Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
 Marcelo Bagnulo ([email-masked])
 Julien Laganier ([email-masked])

Internet Area Directors:
 Ralph Droms ([email-masked])
 Jari Arkko ([email-masked])

Internet Area Advisor:
 Jari Arkko ([email-masked])

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 specifies routing support which permits an IPv6 host to
continue using its home address as it moves around the Internet,
enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports transparency above
the IP layer, including maintenance of active transport level sessions.
In addition, network mobility (NEMO) mechanisms built on top of Mobile
IPv6 allow managing the mobility of an entire network, as it changes its
point of attachment to the Internet. The base specifications consist of:

o RFC 3775 (Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 3963 (NEMO)
o RFC 4877 (Mobile IPv6 Operation with IKEv2)
o RFC 5555 (Dual Stack Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 5648 (Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration)
o RFC 5846 (Binding Revocation)
o RFC-to-be (Flow Binding Policy Transport and Flow Binding Policy Format)

The MEXT Working Group continues the work of the former MIP6, NEMO, and
MONAMI6 Working Groups.

The primary goal of MEXT will be to enhance base IPv6 mobility by
continuing work on developments that are required for wide-scale
deployments and specific deployment scenarios. Additionally, the working
group will ensure that any issues identified by implementation and
interoperability experience are addressed, and that the base
specifications are maintained. The group will also produce informational
documentation, such as design rationale documents or description of
specific issues within the protocol.

The MEXT WG will also explore experimental alternative security
mechanisms. The security mechanism specified in the existing standard
track RFCs (RFC3775bis, RFC4877) remains the mandatory to implement
mechanism that guarantees interoperability between different
implementations. The MEXT WG is chartered to deliver one or more
experimental alternative mechanisms. All the alternative solutions will
be published as experimental RFCs.

In addition, the working group will bring to completion earlier work on
prefix delegation for NEMO, RADIUS  support for Mobile IPv6, Mobile IPv6
operation with firewalls, and home agent reliability specifications.

Work items related to base specification maintenance include: Create and
maintain issue lists that are generated on the basis of implementation
and interoperability experience. Address specific issues with specific
updates or revisions of the base specification. Currently known specific
issues include support for overlapping (private) IPv4 home addresses,
negotiation of the protection required for payload traffic, and
discovery of the home agent address in IPv4-only networks.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 2010  Submit the final doc on Prefix Delegation for NEMO to the
          IESG, for Proposed Standard
Dec 2010  Submit the I-D 'RADIUS Mobile IPv6 Support' to IESG for
          publication as a proposed standard.
Dec 2010  Submit I-D(s) related to specific updates and corrections of
          RFC 3775 to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication as
          a Proposed Standard.
Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG for
          publication as Informational.
Aug 2011  Submit I-Ds on alternative security mechanisms to the IESG for
          publication as Experimental.
Sep 2011  Submit I-D 'Overlapping IPv4 address support' to IESG for
          publication as Proposed Standard.
Sep 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent discovery in IPv4-only networks via
          DHCP' to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Dec 2011  Submit I-D 'Negotiation of the protection for payload traffic'
          to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.