Subject: Protocol Action: 'BinaryTime: An alternate format for representing date and time in ASN.1' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BinaryTime: An alternate format for representing date and time in 
   ASN.1 '
  RFC 4049 as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4049.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a new ASN.1 type for representing time:
   BinaryTime.  This document also specifies an alternate to the
   signing-time attribute for use with the Cryptographic Message Syntax
   (CMS) SignedData and AuthenticatedData content types; the binary-
   signing-time attribute uses BinaryTime.

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission.

Document Quality

   The document is already references normatively by some existing
   Standard Track RFCs, documents approved for publication and draft.
   For all practical purposes this document is a already a Standard
   Track document.

Personnel

   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 1.3, please change the following sentence to read:

OLD:
   In this document, the key words MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHOULD,
   SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL are to be interpreted as
   described in [STDWORDS].

NEW:
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
   this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119
   [STDWORDS].

Please replace the reference to RFC 3852 with RFC 5652.

Please make sure that the new RFC-to-be-published states the proper
document status: Proposed Standard.

Please add a reference to POSIX spec or the term "UNIX time", if you know
one.