Subject: Protocol Action: 'Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID) ' (RFC 6045) to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:42:01 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID) '
  RFC 6045 as a Historic RFC

This document was reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.
 
The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this RFC is:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6045/

Technical Summary
 
Network security incidents, such as system compromises, worms, viruses,
phishing incidents, and denial of service, typically result in the loss of
service, data, and resources both human and system.  To support
collaborative responses to such incidents, network providers and
Computer Security Incident Response Teams need tools and procedures
to support communications and tracing of security incidents.  This
document series includes this specification and 
draft-moriarty-post-inch-rid-transport.

This specification outlines an inter-network communication
method to facilitate sharing incident handling data while integrating
existing detection, tracing, source identification, and mitigation
mechanisms.  Example procedures, which are not required for
conformance to this specification, are included to further describe
environments where this communication method may be used. 

The companion document draft-moriarty-post-inch-rid-transport 
outlines the transport of IODEF and RID messages over HTTP/TLS.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This documents is not the product of any IETF working group.  The
document has been reviewed by IETF participants from several different
Areas, as well as prospective users of this specification outside of the
IETF.  The document was previously submitted to the IESG for publication
on the Standards track but was not approved.  These reviews have been 
incorporated into this version of the specification, which is intended for
publication as an Informational RFC.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Tim Polk reviewed these specifications for the IESG.