Subject: RFC 6515 on IPv4 and IPv6 Infrastructure Addresses in BGP Updates for Multicast VPN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:54:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6515

        Title:      IPv4 and IPv6 Infrastructure Addresses 
                    in BGP Updates for Multicast VPN 
        Author:     R. Aggarwal, E. Rosen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 17550
        Updates:    RFC6514

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6515.txt

To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) service, Provider Edge routers
originate BGP Update messages that carry Multicast-VPN ("MCAST-VPN")
BGP routes; they also originate unicast VPN routes that carry
MVPN-specific attributes.  These routes encode addresses from the
customer's address space, as well as addresses from the provider's
address space.  These two address spaces are independent, and the
address family (IPv4 or IPv6) of the two spaces may or may not be the
same.  These routes always contain an "address family" field that
specifies whether the customer addresses are IPv4 addresses or whether
they are IPv6 addresses.  However, there is no field that explicitly
specifies the address family of the provider addresses.  To ensure
interoperability, this document specifies that provider IPv4 addresses
are always encoded in these update messages as 4-octet addresses,
and that the distinction between IPv4 and IPv6 is signaled solely by
the length of the address field.  Specific cases are explained in
detail.  This document updates RFC 6514.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC