Subject: BCP 175, RFC 6557 on Procedures for Maintaining the Time Zone Database

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:00:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 175        
        RFC 6557

        Title:      Procedures for Maintaining the Time 
                    Zone Database 
        Author:     E. Lear, P. Eggert
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18469
        See Also:   BCP0175

        I-D Tag:    draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6557.txt

Time zone information serves as a basic protocol element in
protocols, such as the calendaring suite and DHCP.  The Time Zone
(TZ) Database specifies the indices used in various protocols, as
well as their semantic meanings, for all localities throughout the
world.  This database has been meticulously maintained and
distributed free of charge by a group of volunteers, coordinated by a
single volunteer who is now planning to retire.  This memo specifies
procedures involved with maintenance of the TZ database and
associated code, including how to submit proposed updates, how
decisions for inclusion of those updates are made, and the selection
of a designated expert by and for the time zone community.  The
intent of this memo is, to the extent possible, to document existing
practice and provide a means to ease succession of the database
maintainers.  This memo documents an Internet Best Current Practice.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC