Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement-05.txt> (DECoupled Application Data Enroute (DECADE) Problem Statement) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 06:27:47 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Decoupled Application Data
Enroute WG (decade) to consider the following document:
- 'DECoupled Application Data Enroute (DECADE) Problem Statement'
  <draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Peer-to-peer (P2P) applications have become widely used on the
   Internet today and make up a large portion of the traffic in many
   networks.  In P2P applications, one technique for reducing the
   transit and uplink P2P traffic is to introduce storage capabilities
   within the network.  Traditional caches (e.g., P2P and Web caches)
   provide such storage, but they are complex (due to explicitly
   supporting individual P2P application protocols and cache refresh
   mechanisms) and they do not allow users to manage access to content
   in the cache.  For example, content providers wishing to use in-
   network storage cannot easily control cache access and resource usage
   policies to satisfy their own requirements.  This document discusses
   the introduction of in-network storage for P2P applications, and
   shows the need for a standard protocol for accessing this storage.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.