Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP (hybi)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:27:58 -0800 (PST)

The BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP (hybi) working group in the 
Applications Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional 
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group 
Chairs.

BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP (hybi)
-----------------------------------------
Status: Active Working Group
Last Updated: 2012-02-02

Chairs:
 Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
 Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):
 Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
 Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
 Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Secretary:
  S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
  Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/

Description of Working Group:

  The BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP (HyBi) working group
  defines the WebSocket Protocol, a technology for bidirectional
  communication between an HTTP client and an HTTP server that
  provides greater efficiency than previous approaches (e.g., use
  of hanging requests or long polling).

  Having completed work on the core protocol (RFC 6455), the group
  continues to define extensions for use by WebSocket
  implementations.  The following extensions and optimizations are
  currently in scope:

  1. A per-frame compression extension to improve bandwidth
     usage (draft-tyoshino-hybi-websocket-perframe-deflate is a
     likely starting point).

  2. A multiplexing extension to improve the scalability of the
     WebSocket protocol (draft-tamplin-hybi-google-mux is a likely
     starting point).

  3. Timeout-handling capabilities to reduce the chattiness of the
     protocol (draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout is a likely starting
     point).

  The working group will also serve as a discussion venue for
  subprotocols.  However, no subprotocol is currently chartered as a
  deliverable, and the WG must be rechartered to work on any
  subprotocols.

  The group will not work on an updated version of the WebSocket
  protocol, unless it is specifically rechartered to do so.

  The group will continue coordinating with the W3C WepApps working
  group with respect to the above deliverables and to ensure the best
  match possible between the WebSocket protocol and the WebSocket API.
  The group will also continue coordinating with other working groups
  within the IETF (e.g., HTTPBIS) as appropriate.

Goal and Milestones:

  Feb 2012 - Adopt a WG item for the per-frame compression extension

  May 2012 - Issue WG last call on the per-frame compression extension

  Jun 2012 - Send per-frame compression extension to IESG for
             consideration as a Proposed Standard

  Jun 2012 - Adopt a WG item for timeout handling

  Jul 2012 - Adopt a WG for the multiplexing extension

  Aug 2012 - Issue WG last call on timeout handling

  Sep 2012 - Issue WG last call on the multiplexing extension

  Oct 2012 - Send timeout handling to IESG for consideration as
             a Proposed Standard

  Nov 2012 - Send multiplexing extension to IESG for consideration as
             a Proposed Standard