Subject: Protocol Action: 'Transmission of Syslog Messages over TCP' to Historic (draft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:32:31 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Transmission of Syslog Messages over TCP'
  (draft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-14.txt) as a Historic

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp/

Technical Summary

   There have been many implementations and deployments of legacy syslog
   over TCP for many years.  That protocol has evolved without being
   standardized and has proven to be quite interoperable in practice.
   The aim of this specification is to explain how TCP has been used as
   a transport for syslog messages.

Working Group Summary

   The document is an individual submission and not associated with
   any Working Group.  It is, however, a work that is of interest to
   the syslog Working Group which was concluded in October of 2010.
   The document has been discussed on the IETF mailing list that was
   used for the syslog Working Group. The WG mailing list seems content 
   with the document. The document was also IETF last called. 

Document Quality

   There are at least six existing implementations of the protocol.  

Personnel

   Randy Presuhn is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Dan Romascanu is the sponsoring AD. 

IESG Note

The IESG does NOT RECOMMEND implementing or deploying syslog over 
plain tcp, which is documented in this document, because it lacks the 
ability to enable strong security [BCP61].

Syslog over TLS transport [RFC5425] is recommended for implementation 
so that security features are available to operators who want to deploy 
secure  syslog, and those security features can be turned off for those who 
do not want them.