Subject: RFC 6496 on Secure Proxy ND Support for SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 17:22:15 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6496

        Title:      Secure Proxy ND Support for 
                    SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) 
        Author:     S. Krishnan, J. Laganier,
                    M. Bonola, A. Garcia-Martinez
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 57746
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-csi-proxy-send-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6496.txt

SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) specifies a method for securing
Neighbor Discovery (ND) signaling against specific threats.  As
defined today, SEND assumes that the node sending an ND message is
the owner of the address from which the message is sent and/or
possesses a key that authorizes the node to act as a router, so that
it is in possession of the private key or keys used to generate the
digital signature on each message.  This means that the Proxy ND
signaling performed by nodes that do not possess knowledge of the
address owner's private key and/or knowledge of a router's key cannot
be secured using SEND.  This document extends the current SEND
specification in order to secure Proxy ND operation.  This document 
defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Cga & Send maIntenance Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC