Subject: Document Action: 'Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-lisp-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:29:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-22.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp/

Technical Summary

This draft describes a network-based protocol that enables separation
of IP addresses into two new numbering spaces: Endpoint Identifiers
(EIDs) and Routing Locators (RLOCs). No changes are required to
either host protocol stacks or to the "core" of the Internet
infrastructure. LISP can be incrementally deployed, without a "flag
day", and offers traffic engineering and multi-homing benefits even 
to early adopters, when there are relatively few LISP-capable sites.

Working Group Summary

Many of the comments received during last call were complex and
difficult for the working group to understand. The working group last
call was held open for an extended time to ensure sufficient
discussion and sufficient effort to address those objections.

The LISP protocol set has been controversial over the course of
discussions in the RRG and the WG, but a significant majority
of the working group participants and the chairs/ADs believe that this
version adequately describes an experimental protocol, with its
advantages as well as challenges.

Document Quality

There are several implementations of LISP in existence.
Alia Atlas has done significant review and deserves
special mention.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Joel Halpern, and the responsible
   Area Director is Jari Arkko.