Subject: Protocol Action: 'Additional HTTP Status Codes' to Proposed Standard (draft-nottingham-http-new-status-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:11:23 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Additional HTTP Status Codes'
  (draft-nottingham-http-new-status-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-http-new-status/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies additional HyperText Transfer Protocol 
   (HTTP) status codes for a variety of common situations, to improve 
   interoperability and avoid confusion when other, less precise status 
   codes are used.

   This work has been completed outside the HTTPBIS WG because
   the HTTPBIS charter was scoped tightly to avoid distractions, such
   as new status codes.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a working groups, although it 
   has been reviewed by participants in the HTTPBIS WG and 
   APPSAWG WG.

   There has been some controversy about the practice of intercepting 
   proxies in HTTP, which caused the need for status code 511 ("Network 
   Authentication Required").  However, there is agreement that a code 
   is needed so that clients can react appropriately to requests for 
   authentication that they receive from intermediaries.  

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed by participants in the HTTPBIS WG
   and APPSAWG WG.  It is deemed to be of good quality.

   The status of implementation is unknown, however these codes are 
   are relatively straightforward to implement and deploy because they 
   are consistent with the default handling of 4xx and 5xx series codes 
   in HTTP.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Julian Reschke.

   The Responsible Area Director is Peter Saint-Andre.