Subject: Protocol Action: 'Redaction of Potentially Sensitive Data from Mail Abuse Reports' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-marf-redaction-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:04:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Redaction of Potentially Sensitive Data from Mail Abuse Reports'
  (draft-ietf-marf-redaction-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Messaging Abuse Reporting Format
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-marf-redaction/

Technical Summary 

   Email messages often contain information which might be considered
   private or sensitive, per either regulation or social norms. When
   such a message becomes the subject of a report intended to be shared
   with other entities, the report generator may wish to redact or elide
   the sensitive portions of the message. This memo suggests one method
   for doing so effectively.

Working Group Summary 

   There was little controversy. This is obviously something needed and
   is in current use within production feedback loops.

Document Quality 

   There are some existing implementations of feedback loops that follow
   this process, and others that vary a little because they are earlier
   implementations which informed this specification. There is certainly
   consensus within industry that this is an appopropriate specification
   upon which to converge.

Personnel

   Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd.
   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the cognizant AD.