Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-manet-smf-13.txt> (Simplified Multicast Forwarding) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:28:54 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks WG
(manet) to consider the following document:
- 'Simplified Multicast Forwarding'
  <draft-ietf-manet-smf-13.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a Simplified Multicast Forwarding (SMF)
   mechanism that provides basic Internet Protocol (IP) multicast
   forwarding suitable for limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc
   network (MANET) use.  It is mainly applicable in situations where
   efficient flooding represents an acceptable engineering design trade-
   off.  It defines techniques for multicast duplicate packet detection
   (DPD), to be applied in the forwarding process, for both IPv4 and
   IPv6 protocol use.  This document also specifies optional mechanisms
   for using reduced relay sets to achieve more efficient multicast data
   distribution within a mesh topology as compared to classic flooding.
   Interactions with other protocols, such as use of information
   provided by concurrently running unicast routing protocols, or
   interaction with other multicast protocols, as well as multiple
   deployment approaches are also described.  Distributed algorithms for
   selecting reduced relay sets and related discussion are provided in
   the appendices.  Basic issues relating to the operation of multicast
   MANET border routers are discussed, but ongoing work remains in this
   area, and is beyond the scope of this document.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-smf/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-smf/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.