Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-08.txt> (Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:41:19 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Congestion and Pre-Congestion
Notification WG (pcn) to consider the following document:
- 'Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP'
  <draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
   The overall rate of the PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the
   PCN domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
   configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes pass information about
   these PCN-marks to decision points which then decide whether to admit
   or block new flow requests or to terminate some already-admitted
   flows during serious pre-congestion.

   This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
   header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   codepoints within a PCN-domain.  This encoding provides for up to
   three different PCN marking states using a single DSCP: not-marked
   (NM), threshold-marked (ThM) and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence,
   it is called the 3-in-1 PCN encoding.  This document obsoletes
   RFC5696.

   This document contains a normative reference to an informational RFC -
   RFC 5559 "Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) Architecture".

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.