Subject: Protocol Action: 'RADIUS Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netext-radius-pmip6-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:30:12 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RADIUS Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-netext-radius-pmip6-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-radius-pmip6/

Technical Summary

  This document defines new attributes to facilitate Proxy Mobile IPv6
  operations using the RADIUS infrastructure. The protocol specified
  here uses RADIUS based interfaces of the mobile access
  gateway and the local mobility anchor with the AAA server for
  authentication, authorization and policy functions. The RADIUS
  interactions between the mobile access gateway and the RADIUS-based
  AAA server take place when the Mobile Node attaches to the network,
  authenticates and authorizes within a Proxy Mobile IPv6 domain.
  Furthermore, this document defines the RADIUS-based interface
  between the local mobility anchor and the AAA RADIUS server for
  authorizing received Proxy Binding Update messages for the mobile
  node's mobility session.

  Additionally, this document specifies the baseline for the mobile
  access gateway and the local mobility anchor generated accounting.

Working group summary:

  The document has been reviewed by several RADIUS protocol experts
  as well as key members within the working group. It has undergone
  two working group last calls and has been revised based on
  feedback from reviewers as well as implementation experience.
  There is strong WG consensus behind this document.

Document quality:

  There is at least one known implementation of the protocol. Multiple
  vendors have indicated plans to implement this specification. All the key
  people who have reviewed this I-D are acknowledged in the document.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Basavaraj Patil, and the responsible Area Director is Jari Arkko.