Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bulk Binding Update Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netext-bulk-re-registration-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:57:50 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Bulk Binding Update Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-netext-bulk-re-registration-12.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-bulk-re-registration/

Technical Summary

For extending the lifetime of a mobility session, the Proxy Mobile
IPv6 specification requires the mobile access gateway to send a Proxy
Binding Update message to the local mobility agent on a per-session
basis. In the absence of signaling semantics for performing
operations with group specific scope, it results in significant
amount of signaling traffic on a periodic basis between a given
mobile access gateway and a local mobility anchor. This document
defines an optimization to the binding update and revocation
operations in Proxy Mobile IPv6 for performing operations with group
specific scope using of a group identifier.

Working Group Summary

There is WG consensus regarding this proposal. The I-D has been
presented and discussed at several WG meetings. It has also been
sufficiently reviewed and the document quality improved over
multiple revisions.

Document Quality

There are no known implementations of this protocol at the present
time. WG members who helped with the reviews have been acknowledged
in the I-D.

The document quality is good and can serve as the basis for an
implementation. Clear guidelines for processing by the Mobile
Access Gateway and the Local Mobility Agent have been specified.

Personnel

   The responsible Area Director is Jari Arkko. The document shepherd is
   Basavaraj Patil.

RFC Editor Note

  In the IANA considerations Section, make the following change:

OLD:
   o  Action-4: The Sub-type field of the Mobile Node Group Identifier
      option introduces a new number space.  This number space needs to
      be managed by IANA, under the Registry, Mobile Node Group
      Identifier Type Registry.  This specification reserves the sub-
      type value of (1) (Bulk Binding Update Group).  Approval of new
      sub-type values are to be made through IANA Expert Review.
NEW:
   o  Action-4: The Sub-type field of the Mobile Node Group Identifier
      option introduces a new number space.  This number space needs to
      be managed by IANA, under the Registry, Mobile Node Group
      Identifier Type Registry.  This specification reserves the sub-
      type value of (1) (Bulk Binding Update Group).  Approval of new
      sub-type values are to be made through IANA Expert Review.
      The value range of this field is 0 through 255, but the values 0 and
      255 are marked as reserved. The remaining values 2-254 are available
      for allocation.