Subject: Protocol Action: 'Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:51:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit/

Technical Summary

  This document describes a mechanism for standby status signaling of
   redundant pseudowires (PWs) between their termination points. A set
   of redundant PWs is configured between provider edge (PE) nodes in
   single-segment pseudowire (SS-PW) applications, or between
   terminating provider edge (T-PE) nodes in multi-segment pseudowire
   (MS-PW) applications.

In order for the PE/T-PE nodes to indicate the preferred PW to use
for forwarding PW packets to one another, a new status bit is needed
to indicate a preferential forwarding status of Active or Standby for
each PW in a redundant set.

In addition, a second status bit is defined to allow peer PE nodes to
coordinate a switchover operation of the PW.

Finally, this document updates the PW operational status textual
convention defined in RFC 5542.

Working Group Summary

This document represents the consensus of the
working group.

Document Quality

There are no concerns regarding the document's
quality.

Personnel

Andy Malis is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.