Subject: RFC 6834 on Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Map-Versioning

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:51:54 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6834

        Title:      Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Map-Versioning 
        Author:     L. Iannone, D. Saucez,
                    O. Bonaventure
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 51447
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lisp-map-versioning-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6834.txt

This document describes the LISP (Locator/ID Separation Protocol)
Map-Versioning mechanism, which provides in-packet information about
Endpoint ID to Routing Locator (EID-to-RLOC) mappings used to
encapsulate LISP data packets.  The proposed approach is based on
associating a version number to EID-to-RLOC mappings and the
transport of such a version number in the LISP-specific header of
LISP-encapsulated packets.  LISP Map-Versioning is particularly
useful to inform communicating Ingress Tunnel Routers (ITRs) and
Egress Tunnel Routers (ETRs) about modifications of the mappings used
to encapsulate packets.  The mechanism is transparent to
implementations not supporting this feature, since in the LISP-
specific header and in the Map Records, bits used for Map-Versioning
can be safely ignored by ITRs and ETRs that do not support the
mechanism.  This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the 
Internet community.

This document is a product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC