Subject: Protocol Action: '464XLAT: Combination of Stateful and Stateless Translation' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:51:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- '464XLAT: Combination of Stateful and Stateless Translation'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-09.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ronald Bonica and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat/

Technical Summary: 

  This document describes an architecture (464XLAT) for providing 
  limited IPv4 connectivity across an IPv6-only network by combining 
  existing and well-known stateful protocol translation RFC 6146 in the 
  core and stateless protocol translation RFC 6145 at the edge. 464XLAT 
  is a simple and scalable technique to quickly deploy limited IPv4 
  access service to IPv6-only edge networks without encapsulation. 

Working Group Summary: 

  The working group, for the most part, the working group found this 
  uncontroversial; it is a way to deploy an IPv6-only core in a mobile 
  network and use translation to provide access to IPv4 content. The 
  folks working on the software "MAP" technology objected to it as it is 
  a deployment technology simpler than MAP and takes shortcuts that may 
  hobble such deployments in the long term. Remi Despres made 
  suggestions on the list and had some support. However, the suggested 
  approaches were more "different" than "better", and neither built 
  consensus nor demonstrated issues requiring changes to the document. 

Document Quality: 

  The document is a description of how to build a certain service 
  offering. There are ways to build other service offerings, and they 
  may or may not be better. However, the service offering described has 
  been implemented and in fact works. 

Personnel: 
 
  The document shepherd is Fred Baker. The area director is Ron Bonica.