Subject: RFC 6811 on BGP Prefix Origin Validation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:28:20 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6811

        Title:      BGP Prefix Origin Validation 
        Author:     P. Mohapatra, J. Scudder,
                    D. Ward, R. Bush,
                    R. Austein
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 20082
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6811.txt

To help reduce well-known threats against BGP including prefix mis-
announcing and monkey-in-the-middle attacks, one of the security
requirements is the ability to validate the origination Autonomous
System (AS) of BGP routes.  More specifically, one needs to validate
that the AS number claiming to originate an address prefix (as
derived from the AS_PATH attribute of the BGP route) is in fact
authorized by the prefix holder to do so.  This document describes a
simple validation mechanism to partially satisfy this requirement.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC