Subject: Protocol Action: 'Parameter Value Encoding in iCalendar and vCard' to Proposed Standard (draft-daboo-ical-vcard-parameter-encoding-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:10:53 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Parameter Value Encoding in iCalendar and vCard'
  (draft-daboo-ical-vcard-parameter-encoding-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-daboo-ical-vcard-parameter-encoding/

Technical Summary

This specification updates the data formats for iCalendar (RFC 5545)
and vCard (RFC 6350) to allow parameter values to include certain
characters forbidden by the existing specifications.

Review and Consensus

The extension is straightforward, and there was little discussion before
coming to consensus. What discussion there was took place on the
Calsify <[email-masked]> and vCardDAV <[email-masked]> mailing lists.

The choice of escape character and sequences allows the new functionality
without compromising existing software and justification for the final form of
escaping appears as an appendix to the current draft. There are a small
number of implementations already and more are planned.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Mike Douglass. The responsible Area Director
is Barry Leiba.