Subject: Protocol Action: 'JSON Patch' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-json-patch-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:53:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JSON Patch'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-json-patch-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-patch/

Technical Summary

JSON Patch defines the media type "application/json-patch", a JSON 
document structure for expressing a sequence of operations to apply 
to a JSON document. 

Working Group Summary

This draft and its companion (draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer) received 
commentary from a number of participants. The original author 
was unable to complete the work so the current editor stepped in. 
There was no controversy of import, and the subset of Applications Area
participants who have reviewed and commented on this document is
large enough and the reviews are broad enough that we have good
consensus on this.

Document Quality

Many of the participants who contributed review comments are well 
established in the IETF and W3C communities. The review and
participation was thorough and contained adequate (if not better) 
expertise on the relevant topics. 

Implementations are being tracked at 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/appsawg/trac/wiki/JsonPatch. 

Personnel

Murray Kucherawy is the Document Shepherd. 
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director. 

IANA Note

This document registers a new media type using the template found in
Section 10 of RFC4288.  RFC4288 is about to be replaced by
draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs, which is in the RFC Editor queue.
The registration template is slightly different in the new version.  We ask
IANA to handle this situation during the transition.