Subject: RFC 6860 on Hiding Transit-Only Networks in OSPF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:29:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6860

        Title:      Hiding Transit-Only Networks in OSPF 
        Author:     Y. Yang,
                    A. Retana,
                    A. Roy
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 26368
        Updates:    RFC2328, RFC5340

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-hiding-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6860.txt

A transit-only network is defined as a network connecting routers
only.  In OSPF, transit-only networks are usually configured with
routable IP addresses, which are advertised in Link State
Advertisements (LSAs) but are not needed for data traffic.  In addition,
remote attacks can be launched against routers by sending packets to
these transit-only networks.  This document presents a mechanism to
hide transit-only networks to speed up network convergence and reduce
vulnerability to remote attacks.

In the context of this document, 'hiding' implies that the prefixes
are not installed in the routing tables on OSPF routers.  In some
cases, IP addresses may still be visible when using OSPFv2.

This document updates RFCs 2328 and 5340.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC