Subject: RFC 6846 on RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Profile for TCP/IP (ROHC-TCP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:43:35 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6846

        Title:      RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A 
                    Profile for TCP/IP (ROHC-TCP) 
        Author:     G. Pelletier, K. Sandlund,
                    L-E. Jonsson, M. West
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      96
        Characters: 187518
        Obsoletes:  RFC4996

        I-D Tag:    draft-sandlund-rfc4996bis-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6846.txt

This document specifies a RObust Header Compression (ROHC) profile
for compression of TCP/IP packets.  The profile, called ROHC-TCP,
provides efficient and robust compression of TCP headers, including
frequently used TCP options such as selective acknowledgments (SACKs)
and Timestamps.

ROHC-TCP works well when used over links with significant error rates
and long round-trip times.  For many bandwidth-limited links where
header compression is essential, such characteristics are common.

This specification obsoletes RFC 4996.  It fixes a technical issue
with the SACK compression and clarifies other compression methods
used.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and
suggestions for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of
the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC