Subject: RFC 6772 on Geolocation Policy: A Document Format for Expressing Privacy Preferences for Location Information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:34:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6772

        Title:      Geolocation Policy: A Document Format 
                    for Expressing Privacy Preferences for Location 
                    Information 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, Ed.,
                    H. Tschofenig, Ed.,
                    J. Cuellar, J. Polk,
                    J. Morris, M. Thomson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 87801
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-27.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6772.txt

This document defines an authorization policy language for
controlling access to location information.  It extends the Common
Policy authorization framework to provide location-specific access
control.  More specifically, this document defines condition elements
specific to location information in order to restrict access to data
based on the current location of the Target.

Furthermore, this document defines two algorithms for reducing the
granularity of returned location information.  The first algorithm is
defined for usage with civic location information, whereas the other
one applies to geodetic location information.  Both algorithms come
with limitations.  There are circumstances where the amount of
location obfuscation provided is less than what is desired.  These
algorithms might not be appropriate for all application domains.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC