Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-08.txt> (Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Networking Devices) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:48:38 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Benchmarking Methodology WG
(bmwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   Networking Devices'
  <draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-01-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides a terminology for benchmarking the SIP
   performance of networking devices.  The term performance in this
   context means the capacity of the device- or system-under-test to
   process SIP messages.  Terms are included for test components, test
   setup parameters, and performance benchmark metrics for black-box
   benchmarking of SIP networking devices.  The performance benchmark
   metrics are obtained for the SIP signaling plane only.  The terms are
   intended for use in a companion methodology document for
   characterizing the performance of a SIP networking device under a
   variety of conditions.  The intent of the two documents is to enable
   a comparison of the capacity of SIP networking devices.  Test setup
   parameters and a methodology document are necessary because SIP
   allows a wide range of configuration and operational conditions that
   can influence performance benchmark measurements.  A standard
   terminology and methodology will ensure that benchmarks have
   consistent definition and were obtained following the same
   procedures.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.