Subject: RFC 6832 on Interworking between Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) and Non-LISP Sites

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:51:10 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6832

        Title:      Interworking between Locator/ID Separation Protocol 
                    (LISP) and Non-LISP Sites 
        Author:     D. Lewis, D. Meyer,
                    D. Farinacci, V. Fuller
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 43758
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6832.txt

This document describes techniques for allowing sites running the
Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) to interoperate with Internet
sites that may be using either IPv4, IPv6, or both but that are not
running LISP.  A fundamental property of LISP-speaking sites is that
they use Endpoint Identifiers (EIDs), rather than traditional IP
addresses, in the source and destination fields of all traffic they
emit or receive.  While EIDs are syntactically identical to IPv4 or
IPv6 addresses, normally routes to them are not carried in the global
routing system, so an interoperability mechanism is needed for non-
LISP-speaking sites to exchange traffic with LISP-speaking sites.
This document introduces three such mechanisms.  The first uses a new
network element, the LISP Proxy Ingress Tunnel Router (Proxy-ITR), to
act as an intermediate LISP Ingress Tunnel Router (ITR) for non-LISP-
speaking hosts.  Second, this document adds Network Address
Translation (NAT) functionality to LISP ITRs and LISP Egress Tunnel
Routers (ETRs) to substitute routable IP addresses for non-routable
EIDs.  Finally, this document introduces the Proxy Egress Tunnel
Router (Proxy-ETR) to handle cases where a LISP ITR cannot send
packets to non-LISP sites without encapsulation.  This document defines 
an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC