Subject: Protocol Action: 'Format for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Common Log Format (CLF)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipclf-format-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:48:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Format for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Common Log Format
   (CLF)'
  (draft-ietf-sipclf-format-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP Common Log Format Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipclf-format/

Technical Summary:

The Session Initiation Protocol does not have a common log format, and as a result, 
each server supports a distinct log format that makes it unnecessarily complex 
to produce tools to do trend analysis and security detection. This document describes 
a text based format based on the data model defined in the companion document 
draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement. This format uses an indexed text approach to 
facilitate rapid searching of the log contents while retaining the advantages of a 
generic text search and filtering tools.

Working Group Summary:

The discussion of indexed-ascii specifically did not result in any contentious issues 
in the WG discussion. More generally the choice of indexed ascii was more difficult 
for the WG and took place during the development of draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement.

Document Quality:

There were sample implementations of the indexed ascii format written by 
Peter Musgrave and placed on the sipclf Wiki page 
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sipclf/trac/wiki>). 
Vijay Gurbani reports that three other implementations are known.

Personnel:

Peter Musgrave is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks is the responsible AD.