Subject: Protocol Action: 'Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for FECFRAME' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:47:25 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for
FECFRAME'
  (draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the FEC Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs/

Technical Summary

   This document describes a fully-specified simple FEC scheme for Reed-
   Solomon codes over GF(2^^m), with 2 <= m <= 16, that can be used to
   protect arbitrary media streams along the lines defined by the
   FECFRAME framework.  Reed-Solomon codes belong to the class of
   Maximum Distance Separable (MDS) codes which means they offer optimal
   protection against packet erasures.  They are also systematic codes,
   which means that the source symbols are part of the encoding symbols.
   The price to pay is a limit on the maximum source block size, on the
   maximum number of encoding symbols, and a computational complexity
   higher than that of LDPC codes for instance.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus within the FECFrame WG to publish this document.
The document has been actively discussed on the wg list and in wg
meetings. There was no controversy with the progression of this
document. 

Document Quality

There are no implementations of this.
The draft has received adequate review from key WG members.

Personnel

Greg Shepherd ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd and Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible Area Director.