Subject: Protocol Action: 'An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 07:07:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)'
  (draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization/

Technical Summary

   The link quality mechanism of the MANET Neighborhood Discovery
   Protocol (NHDP) enables "ignoring" some 1-hop neighbors if the
   measured link quality from that 1-hop neighbor is below an acceptable
   threshold, while still retaining the corresponding link information
   as acquired from HELLO message exchange.  This allows immediate
   reinstatement of the 1-hop neighbor if the link quality later
   improves sufficiently.

   NHDP also collects information about symmetric 2-hop neighbors.
   However it specifies that if a link from a symmetric 1-hop neighbor
   ceases being symmetric, including while "ignored" as described above,
   then corresponding symmetric 2-hop neighbors are removed.  This may
   lead to symmetric 2-hop neighborhood information being permanently
   removed (until further HELLO messages are received) if the link
   quality of a symmetric 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold, even if only for a moment.

   This specification updates RFC6130 "Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
   Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)", and RFC7181 "The Optimized
   Link State Routing Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2)" to permit retaining,
   but ignoring, symmetric 2-hop information when the link quality from
   the corresponding 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold.  This allows immediate reinstatement of the symmetric
   2-hop neighbor if the link quality later improves sufficiently, thus
   making the symmetric 2-hop neighborhood more "robust".

Working Group Summary

        A question was raised by one participant about whether it is appropriate
        to claim this work as an optimization with providing quantified measurements, 
        however, the working group felt that the improvements offered a quite clearly 
        an optimization in terms of reduced message exchanges and more rapid
        recovery from transitory failures, and so no further documentation was
        necessary. The consensus behind publication of this document as an 
        Proposed Standard RFC appears solid.

Document Quality:

        There are multiple implementations.
        No MIB doctor, Media Type or other expert reviews have been done.

Personnel:

        The Document Shepherd is Ulrich Herberg.
        The Responsible Area Director is Adrian Farrel.