Subject: Protocol Action: 'Controlling State Advertisements Of Non-negotiated LDP Applications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:49:21 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Controlling State Advertisements Of Non-negotiated LDP Applications'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability/

Technical Summary

  There is no capability negotiation done for Label Distribution
  Protocol (LDP) applications that setup Label Switched Paths (LSPs) for
  IP prefixes or that signal Point-to-point (P2P) Pseudowires (PWs) for
  Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs). When an LDP session comes
  up, an LDP speaker may unnecessarily advertise its local state for
  such LDP applications even when the peer session is established for
  some other applications like Multipoint LDP (mLDP) or Inter-Chassis
  Communication Protocol (ICCP). This document defines a solution by
  which an LDP speaker announces to its peer its disinterest in such
  non-negotiated applications, thus disabling the unnecessary
  advertisement of corresponding application state, which would have
  otherwise be advertised over the established LDP session.

Working Group Summary

   There is a strong support for this document in the working group
   and it has been has been well reviewed.
   
Document Quality

   We know of ongoing/intended implementations.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the document shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel is the responsible AD.