Subject: RFC 7439 on Gap Analysis for Operating IPv6-Only MPLS Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:50:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7439

        Title:      Gap Analysis for Operating IPv6-Only 
                    MPLS Networks 
        Author:     W. George, Ed.,
                    C. Pignataro, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 64087
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-only-gap-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7439

This document reviews the Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
protocol suite in the context of IPv6 and identifies gaps that must
be addressed in order to allow MPLS-related protocols and
applications to be used with IPv6-only networks.  This document is
intended to focus on gaps in the standards defining the MPLS suite,
and is not intended to highlight particular vendor implementations
(or lack thereof) in the context of IPv6-only MPLS functionality.

In the data plane, MPLS fully supports IPv6, and MPLS labeled packets
can be carried over IPv6 packets in a variety of encapsulations.
However, support for IPv6 among MPLS control-plane protocols, MPLS
applications, MPLS Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM),
and MIB modules is mixed, with some protocols having major gaps.  For
most major gaps, work is in progress to upgrade the relevant
protocols.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC