Subject: Document Action: 'A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations' to Informational RFC (draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:14:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations'
  (draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-16.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture/

Technical Summary

   Services such as content distribution, distributed databases, or
   inter-data center connectivity place a set of new requirements on the
   operation of networks.  They need on-demand and application-specific
   reservation of network connectivity, reliability, and resources (such
   as bandwidth) in a variety of network applications (such as point-to-
   point connectivity, network virtualization, or mobile back-haul) and
   in a range of network technologies from packet (IP/MPLS) down to
   optical.  An environment that operates to meet this type of
   requirement is said to have Application-Based Network Operations
   (ABNO).

   ABNO brings together many existing technologies for gathering
   information about the resources available in a network, for
   consideration of topologies and how those topologies map to
   underlying network resources, for requesting path computation, and
   for provisioning or reserving network resources.  Thus, ABNO may be
   seen as the use of a toolbox of existing components enhanced with a
   few new elements.  The key component within an ABNO is the Path
   Computation Element (PCE), which can be used for computing paths and
   is further extended to provide policy enforcement capabilities for
   ABNO.

   This document describes an architecture and framework for ABNO
   showing how these components fit together.  It provides a cookbook of
   existing technologies to satisfy the architecture and meet the needs
   of the applications.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of any IETF working group. There is
   currently no working group chartered to work on this topic.

   However, the document has been widely circulated for review with
   focus in the PCE, ALTO, and OPSAWG. Notification of the document with
   a request for review was also sent to the I2RS and RTGWG working
   groups. The SDNRG of the IRTF has had this work presented at several
   IETF meetings.

Document Quality

   There are currently believed to be two implementations of network
   management packages in operators' research labs that are based on the
   architectural model described here. A further implementation is
   rumored to be planned by a third network operator.

   Although the operators have not been publically forthcoming about
   their implementations, some information can be found at:

   http://www.vlopezalvarez.com/Profesional/Publications/Conferences/2014_OFC_1.pdf
   http://www.infinera.com/pdfs/misc/Infinera-Telefonica_SDN_Demo.pdf
   https://www.fi-athens.eu/sites/default/files/presentations/ABNO.pdf
   http://www.cttc.es/publication/experimental-assessment-of-abno-based-network-orchestration-of-end-to-end-multi-layer-opsocs-provisioning-across-sdnopenflow-and-gmplspce-control-domains/

Personnel

   Quintin Zhao <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd.
   Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> is the Responsible Area Director.