Subject: Document Action: 'Summarizing Known Attacks on TLS and DTLS' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-uta-tls-attacks-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 15:14:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Summarizing Known Attacks on TLS and DTLS'
  (draft-ietf-uta-tls-attacks-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Using TLS in Applications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-attacks/

Technical Summary

Over the last few years there have been several serious attacks on
TLS, including attacks on its most commonly used ciphers and modes of
operation.  This document summarizes these attacks, with the goal of
motivating generic and protocol-specific recommendations on the usage
of TLS and DTLS.

Working Group Summary

The document has received extensive review on the uta list by several
reviewers (not just the usual suspects). There have been a few near-miss
consensus, but they were all resolved to the satisfaction of all involved.

Document Quality

Most of the reviewers / active participants have ties to information
security or TLS specifically. Additional review in the secdir group
should probably try to find a person with another perspective. 

Personnel

Leif Johansson is the shepherd. 
Pete Resnick is the responsible AD.