Subject: RFC 7421 on Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:43:01 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7421

        Title:      Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary 
                    in IPv6 Addressing 
        Author:     B. Carpenter, Ed.,
                    T. Chown, F. Gont,
                    S. Jiang, A. Petrescu,
                    A. Yourtchenko
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 60469
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-why64-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7421

The IPv6 unicast addressing format includes a separation between the
prefix used to route packets to a subnet and the interface identifier
used to specify a given interface connected to that subnet.
Currently, the interface identifier is defined as 64 bits long for
almost every case, leaving 64 bits for the subnet prefix.  This
document describes the advantages of this fixed boundary and analyzes
the issues that would be involved in treating it as a variable
boundary.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC