Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp-08.txt> (Recommendations for Secure Use of TLS and DTLS) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:45:36 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Using TLS in Applications WG
(uta) to consider the following document:
- 'Recommendations for Secure Use of TLS and DTLS'
  <draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp-08.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security
   (DTLS) are widely used to protect data exchanged over application
   protocols such as HTTP, SMTP, IMAP, POP, SIP, and XMPP.  Over the
   last few years, several serious attacks on TLS have emerged,
   including attacks on its most commonly used cipher suites and modes
   of operation.  This document provides recommendations for improving
   the security of deployed services that use TLS and DTLS.  The
   recommendations are applicable to the majority of use cases.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.