Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-dad-12.txt> (Enhanced Duplicate Address Detection) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 06:57:35 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Enhanced Duplicate Address Detection'
  <draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-dad-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   IPv6 Loopback Suppression and Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) are
   discussed in Appendix A of RFC4862.  That specification mentions a
   hardware-assisted mechanism to detect looped back DAD messages.  If
   hardware cannot suppress looped back DAD messages, a software
   solution is required.  Several service provider communities have
   expressed a need for automated detection of looped back Neighbor
   Discovery (ND) messages used by DAD.  This document includes
   mitigation techniques and outlines the Enhanced DAD algorithm to
   automate the detection of looped back IPv6 ND messages used by DAD.
   For network loopback tests, the Enhanced DAD algorithm allows IPv6 to
   self-heal after a loopback is placed and removed.  Further, for
   certain access networks the document automates resolving a specific
   duplicate address conflict.  This document updates RFC4861, RFC4862,
   and RFC4429.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-dad/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-dad/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.