Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao-02.txt> (IPv6 Router Alert Option for MPLS OAM) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:22:41 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 Router Alert Option for MPLS OAM'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 4379 defines the MPLS LSP Ping/Traceroute mechanism, in which the
   Router Alert Option MUST be set in the IP header of the MPLS Echo
   Request messages, and may conditionally be set in the IP header of
   the MPLS Echo Reply messages depending on the Reply Mode used.  While
   a generic "Router shall examine packet" Option Value is used for the
   IPv4 Router Alert Option (RAO), there is no generic Router Alert
   Option Value defined for IPv6 that can be used.  This document
   allocates a new generic IPv6 Router Alert Option Value that can be
   used by MPLS OAM tools, including the MPLS Echo Request and MPLS Echo
   Reply messages for MPLS in IPv6 environments.  Consequently, it
   updates RFC 4379.

   The initial motivation to request an IPv6 Router Alert Option (RAO)
   code point for MPLS OAM comes from MPLS LSP Ping/Traceroute.
   However, this code point is applicable to all MPLS OAM and not
   limited to MPLS LSP Ping/Traceroute.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.