Subject: Protocol Action: 'Textual Encodings of PKIX, PKCS, and CMS Structures' to Proposed Standard (draft-josefsson-pkix-textual-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:51:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Textual Encodings of PKIX, PKCS, and CMS Structures'
  (draft-josefsson-pkix-textual-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-josefsson-pkix-textual/

Technical Summary

   This document describes and discusses the textual encodings of the
   Public-Key Infrastructure X.509 (PKIX), Public-Key Cryptography
   Standards (PKCS), and Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  The
   textual encodings are well-known, are implemented by several
   applications and libraries, and are widely deployed.  This document
   is intended to articulate the de-facto rules that existing
   implementations operate by, and to give recommendations that will
   promote interoperability.

Working Group Summary

   As an individual submission
   this document does not reflect a working group consensus The PKIX
   group was already closed by the time the authors started work on this 
   document. The document did receive some review on the PKIX and SAAG 
   lists, including from implementers that said that it is aligned with 
   their implementations. 

Document Quality

   This document describes existing practice implemented by multiple 
   vendor products and open source projects, and harmonizes minor 
   discrepancies among implementations.  No major issues were raised
   in last call.

Personnel

   Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible Area Directory. 
   Yoav Nir is the document shepherd.

RFC Editor Notes:

  The draft editors will need to check the examples in the final version 
  (Auth48) as they may be invalid if there is indenting or other 
  characters in the way.

  Additionally, the reference [X509SG] should be considered stable as it
  has been there for 15 years. The draft editors asked the author and
  the link is expected to be available indefinitely (his words were
  'forever').