Subject: RFC 7438 on Multipoint LDP (mLDP) In-Band Signaling with Wildcards

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:43:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7438

        Title:      Multipoint LDP (mLDP) In-Band Signaling 
                    with Wildcards 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, Ed.,
                    E. Rosen, A. Gulko,
                    U. Joorde, J. Tantsura
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 36744
        Updates:    RFC 6826, RFC 7246

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7438

There are scenarios in which an IP multicast tree traverses an MPLS
domain.  In these scenarios, it can be desirable to convert the IP
multicast tree "seamlessly" into an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched
Path (MP-LSP) when it enters the MPLS domain, and then to convert it
back to an IP multicast tree when it exits the MPLS domain.  Previous
documents specify procedures that allow certain kinds of IP multicast
trees (either Source-Specific Multicast trees or Bidirectional
Multicast trees) to be attached to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched
Path (MP-LSP).  However, the previous documents do not specify
procedures for attaching IP Any-Source Multicast trees to MP-LSPs,
nor do they specify procedures for aggregating multiple IP multicast
trees onto a single MP-LSP.  This document specifies the procedures
to support these functions.  It does so by defining "wildcard"
encodings that make it possible to specify, when setting up an MP-
LSP, that a set of IP multicast trees, or a shared IP multicast tree,
should be attached to that MP-LSP.  Support for non-bidirectional IP
Any-Source Multicast trees is subject to certain applicability
restrictions that are discussed in this document.  This document
updates RFCs 6826 and 7246.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC