Subject: Protocol Action: 'DTLS Encapsulation of SCTP Packets' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 06:38:12 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DTLS Encapsulation of SCTP Packets'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps/

Technical Summary

   The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a 
   transport protocol originally defined to run on top of the 
   network protocols IPv4 or IPv6. This document specifies 
   how SCTP can be used on top of the Datagram Transport 
   Layer Security (DTLS) protocol, and in turn on top of 
   User Datagram Protocol (UDP). This line-up allows 
   RTCWeb/WebRTC applications to use a modern 
   transport protocol (SCTP) with end-to-end security
   (DTLS) while traversing NATs (UDP).

Working Group Summary

   The document received support from 5 people within TSVWG 
   plus the WG chair. The work replied to RTCweb requirements. 
   Feedback was received from RTCweb implementors during 
   document development. A WGLC ended 28th February 2014, 
   with some reviews that resulted in an updated document. Since 
   then discussion has focused on which version of DTLS to 
   mandate. This discussion concluded in November 2014.

Document Quality

   The document is thought ready to publish. As far as the authors 
    know, this this is implemented in the Chrome, Firefox and Opera 
    browser. PMTUD is not yet implemented.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Gorry Fairhurst (TSVWG Co-Chair).
   The Responsible Area Director is Spencer Dawkins (TSV AD).

RFC Editor Note

  (the following note appears twice, in Section 1 and Section 5. It's a 
   reminder to make sure that the statement that's true now, is still
   true at AUTH48 time. Both can be removed after it's verified)

   [NOTE to RFC-Editor:

      Please ensure that the authors double check the above statement
      about DTLS 1.2 during AUTH48 and then remove this note before
      publication.

   ]

   (the following also appears as Appendix A, which can be removed by the 
    RFC Editor during processing)

   Although the references to [I-D.ietf-tsvwg-sctp-prpolicies] and
   [I-D.ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata] are informative, put this document in
   REF-HOLD until these two references have been approved and update
   these references to the corresponding RFCs.