Subject: Protocol Action: 'Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 15:21:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service'
  (draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Web Extensible Internet Registration
Data Service Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a method to find which Registration Data
   Access Protocol (RDAP) server is authoritative to answer queries for
   a requested scope, such as domain names, IP addresses or Autonomous
   System numbers.

Working Group Summary

   The WG spent a good deal of time working on the wording of the IANA
   section.  Attempts were made to clarify the specific data output
   requirements without providing instruction to IANA on update
   frequency, policy, etc., since this work has the unusual complication
   that the registry policies actually will mirror whatever rules ICANN
   puts in place for updating their name and number registries. IANA was
   consulted and (at last check) was satisfied with the proposed way
   forward.

Document Quality

   The document appears to have the support of the WG, and there is at
   least one implementation in progress.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Michael Szucs. 
   Pete Resnick is the responsible Area Director.