Subject: Protocol Action: 'Deprecating Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:33:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecating Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic/

 Technical Summary
 
 Experience with the "Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds 
 (6to4)" IPv6 transitioning mechanism has shown that the mechanism is 
 unsuitable for widespread deployment and use in the Internet.  This 
 document requests that RFC3056 and the companion document "An Anycast 
 Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers" RFC3068 be moved to historic status.
 
 Working Group Summary
 
 Discussion in the working group was voluminous and intense. Many additional 
proposals were considered, such as asking operators to shut down 6to4 service 
on a stated date via filtering or null routing, not doing so, asking vendors to remove 
code from products, and so on. This draft represents the intersection of those 
views - rough consensus in the best possible meaning of the phrase. 
 
 Document Quality
 
 The document was reviewed by numerous people in wide reaches of the 
community including operators, vendors, and researchers. 

Personnel

Fred Baker is the document shepherd.

RFC Editor Note

minor tweaks to be processed at editing time.

As previously suggested:

OLD:

   This document
   therefore requests that RFC 3068, "An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay
   Routers", be made obsolete and moved to historic status.  It also
   obsoletes RFC 6732 "6to4 Provider Managed Tunnels".

NEW:

   This document
   therefore requests that RFC 3068, "An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay
   Routers", and RFC 6732, "6to4 Provider Managed Tunnels", be made
   obsolete and moved to historic status.

In response to the IANA review:

OLD:

   Instead, IANA is requested to mark the 192.88.99.0/24
   prefix originally defined by [RFC3068] as "Deprecated (6to4 Relay
   Anycast)", pointing to the present document.

NEW:

   Instead, IANA is requested to mark the 192.88.99.0/24
   prefix originally defined by [RFC3068] as "Deprecated (6to4 Relay
   Anycast)", pointing to the present document. The Boolean values
   for the address block 192.88.99.0/24 will all be removed.