Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for Scalable DNS-SD/mDNS Extensions' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:43:22 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for Scalable DNS-SD/mDNS Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service
Discovery  Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements/

Technical Summary:

  DNS-SD/mDNS is widely used today for discovery and resolution of
  services and names on a local link, but there are use cases to
  extend DNS-SD/mDNS to enable service discovery beyond the local
  link.  This document provides a problem statement and documents a
  set of requirements against which solutions can be designed and
  measured.

Working Group Summary:

  The WG generally reached strong consensus on all points, including
  all requirements, in the document.

  There was some specific discussion about whether wireless links
  should be treated differently, but it was agreed that REQ9 should be
  generalised and say "SSD should operate efficiently on common link
  layers and link types."

  The evolution of the other requirements was quite smooth with good
  consensus.

Document Quality:

  As a requirements document, a number of implementors/vendors have
  expressed an interest in working towards a common, interoperable
  solution for service discovery across multiple links.

  No specialist review was required.

  A separate threat analysis is being documented through
  draft-rafiee-dnssd-mdns-threatmodel-01.

Personnel:

  Document shepherd: Tim Chown
  Responsible AD: Ted Lemon