Subject: RFC 7489 on Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 13:04:59 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7489

        Title:      Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and 
                    Conformance (DMARC) 
        Author:     M. Kucherawy, Ed.,
                    E. Zwicky, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       March 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      73
        Characters: 162707
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-kucherawy-dmarc-base-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7489

Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance
(DMARC) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
organization can use to improve mail handling.

Originators of Internet Mail need to be able to associate reliable
and authenticated domain identifiers with messages, communicate
policies about messages that use those identifiers, and report about
mail using those identifiers.  These abilities have several benefits:
Receivers can provide feedback to Domain Owners about the use of
their domains; this feedback can provide valuable insight about the
management of internal operations and the presence of external domain
name abuse.

DMARC does not produce or encourage elevated delivery privilege of
authenticated email.  DMARC is a mechanism for policy distribution
that enables increasingly strict handling of messages that fail
authentication checks, ranging from no action, through altered
delivery, up to message rejection.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC