Subject: RFC 7463 on Shared Appearances of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Address of Record (AOR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:09:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7463

        Title:      Shared Appearances of a Session 
                    Initiation Protocol (SIP) Address of Record (AOR) 
        Author:     A. Johnston, Ed.,
                    M. Soroushnejad, Ed.,
                    V. Venkataramanan
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      72
        Characters: 171979
        Updates:    RFC 3261, RFC 4235

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7463

This document describes the requirements and implementation of a
group telephony feature commonly known as Bridged Line Appearance
(BLA) or Multiple Line Appearance (MLA), or Shared Call/Line
Appearance (SCA).  When implemented using the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), it is referred to as shared appearances of an Address
of Record (AOR) since SIP does not have the concept of lines.  This
feature is commonly offered in IP Centrex services and IP Private
Branch Exchange (IPBX) offerings and is likely to be implemented on
SIP IP telephones and SIP feature servers used in a business
environment.  This feature allows several user agents (UAs) to share
a common AOR, learn about calls placed and received by other UAs in
the group, and pick up or join calls within the group.  This document
discusses use cases, lists requirements, and defines extensions to
implement this feature.  This specification updates RFCs 3261 and
4235.

This document is a product of the Basic Level of Interoperability for SIP Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC