Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie-02.txt> (Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 16:48:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG
(tls) to consider the following document:
- 'Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0'
  <draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie-02.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-03-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Secure Sockets Layer version 3.0 (SSLv3) is no longer secure.  This
   document requires that SSLv3 not be used.  The replacement versions,
   in particular Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2, are considerably
   more secure and capable protocols.

   This document updates the backward compatibility sections of the TLS
   RFCs to prohibit fallback to SSLv3.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

- ID nits says we should say in the abstract that we're
updating 5246 and that prohibiting-rc4 is now RFC 7465.
It also wants us to add the usual 2119 boilerplate. Those
will be taken care of after IETF LC.