Subject: RFC 7466 on An Optimization for the Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7466

        Title:      An Optimization for the Mobile 
                    Ad Hoc Network (MANET) Neighborhood Discovery 
                    Protocol (NHDP) 
        Author:     C. Dearlove, T. Clausen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17949
        Updates:    RFC 6130, RFC 7181

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7466

The link quality mechanism of the Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP) enables "ignoring" some 1-hop
neighbors if the measured link quality from that 1-hop neighbor is
below an acceptable threshold while still retaining the corresponding
link information as acquired from the HELLO message exchange.  This
allows immediate reinstatement of the 1-hop neighbor if the link
quality later improves sufficiently.

NHDP also collects information about symmetric 2-hop neighbors.
However, it specifies that if a link from a symmetric 1-hop neighbor
ceases being symmetric, including while "ignored" (as described
above), then corresponding symmetric 2-hop neighbors are removed.
This may lead to symmetric 2-hop neighborhood information being
permanently removed (until further HELLO messages are received) if
the link quality of a symmetric 1-hop neighbor drops below the
acceptable threshold, even if only for a moment.

This specification updates RFC 6130 "Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)" and RFC 7181 "The Optimized
Link State Routing Protocol Version 2 (OLSRv2)" to permit, as an
option, retaining, but ignoring, symmetric 2-hop information when the
link quality from the corresponding 1-hop neighbor drops below the
acceptable threshold.  This allows immediate reinstatement of the
symmetric 2-hop neighbor if the link quality later improves
sufficiently, thus making the symmetric 2-hop neighborhood more
"robust".

This document is a product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC