Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensions to Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) for Hierarchical Path Computation Elements (PCE)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pce-hierarchy-extensions-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 13:03:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensions to Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP)
   for Hierarchical Path Computation Elements (PCE)'
  (draft-ietf-pce-hierarchy-extensions-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-hierarchy-extensions/

Technical Summary

The Hierarchical Path Computation Element (H-PCE) architecture is
defined in RFC 6805.  It provides a mechanism to derive an optimum
end-to-end path in a multi-domain environment by using a hierarchical
relationship between domains to select the optimum sequence of
domains and optimum paths across those domains. This document defines 
extensions to the Path Computation Element Protocol (PCEP) to support
Hierarchical PCE procedures.

Working Group Summary

No controversies. The document was initially marked experimental and after
discussion within the WG it was moved to proposed standards. The consensus 
behind the document is good and it is bases for further H-PCE related work
such as stateful H-PCE and ACTN.

Document Quality

There are several PCEP implementations supporting H-PCE. This 
includes commercial as well as open source implementations. 
This information can be found in the appendix.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Dhruv Dhody 
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard