Subject: RFC 8622 on A Lower-Effort Per-Hop Behavior (LE PHB) for Differentiated Services

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 15:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8622

        Title:      A Lower-Effort Per-Hop Behavior (LE PHB)
                    for Differentiated Services 
        Author:     R. Bless
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 43548
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3662
        Updates:    RFC 4594, RFC 8325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8622

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8622

This document specifies properties and characteristics of a Lower-
Effort Per-Hop Behavior (LE PHB).  The primary objective of this LE
PHB is to protect Best-Effort (BE) traffic (packets forwarded with
the default PHB) from LE traffic in congestion situations, i.e., when
resources become scarce, BE traffic has precedence over LE traffic
and may preempt it.  Alternatively, packets forwarded by the LE PHB
can be associated with a scavenger service class, i.e., they scavenge
otherwise-unused resources only.  There are numerous uses for this
PHB, e.g., for background traffic of low precedence, such as bulk
data transfers with low priority in time, non-time-critical backups,
larger software updates, web search engines while gathering
information from web servers and so on.  This document recommends a
standard Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) value for the LE
PHB.

This specification obsoletes RFC 3662 and updates the DSCP
recommended in RFCs 4594 and 8325 to use the DSCP assigned in this
specification.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC