Subject: Protocol Action: 'Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework Extension to Sliding Window Codes' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:28:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework Extension to Sliding Window
   Codes'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext/

Technical Summary

   RFC 6363 describes a framework for using Forward Error Correction
   (FEC) codes to provide protection against packet loss.  The framework
   supports applying FEC to arbitrary packet flows over unreliable
   transport and is primarily intended for real-time, or streaming,
   media.  However FECFRAME as per RFC 6363 is restricted to block FEC
   codes.  The present document extends FECFRAME to support FEC Codes
   based on a sliding encoding window, in addition to Block FEC Codes,
   in a backward compatible way.  During multicast/broadcast real-time
   content delivery, the use of sliding window codes significantly
   improves robustness in harsh environments, with less repair traffic
   and lower FEC-related added latency.

Working Group Summary

   RFC 6363 was a product of the former FECFRAME working group, 
   which closed several years ago.  FECFRAME was in the TSV area.  
   When several original FECFRAME participants proposed 
   updates/extensions to support new types of codes (with benefits 
   for some real world applications), between the Area Directors 
   and the TSVWG, it was agreed that the work should be done in 
   TSVWG, and two documents including this one were adopted.  
   Several FECFRAME participants are either authors/editors listed 
   on the documents, or participated in reviews.  Other than this 
   history, there were no other significant issues or events of interest 
   in the working group process on this document.

Document Quality

   There have been implementations.  The implementations 
   were reported to the working group, and the documents 
   benefited from the implementation and testing experience.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]), 
   and the responsible AD is Magnus Westerlund.