Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Solution Framework for Private Media in Privacy Enhanced RTP Conferencing (PERC)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 06:44:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Solution Framework for Private Media in Privacy Enhanced RTP
   Conferencing (PERC)'
  (draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Privacy Enhanced RTP Conferencing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework/

Technical Summary

This document describes a framework for enabling end-to-end encrypted
switched conferencing where the media distributor is not trusted to 
decrypt and encrypt the media.

Working Group Summary

The document defines the over arching framework for the Privacy Enhanced
RTP Conferencing WG. It has been extensively discussed in the begining of
the WG, but has been stable now for a long time. There was contentious 
discussion for a while, but this version achieved WG consensus, primarily
to the lack of alternative proposals that met the security objectives. Some
of these discussions points have been raised again during IETF LC, but
these seem to be mainly repetition of old arguments that the WG has
already considered. (Much of that discussion is really more about
perc-double than the framework.)

Document Quality

Since the IETF 102 hackathon a branch of Firefox exists which implements
the double encryption as per this framework document. libsrtp, a widely
used SRTP library, has Pull Requests has patches in Pull Requests waiting
to be merged. Cisco and Mozilla have both signaled desire to ship
implementations based on this document.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Nils Ohlmeier.
The responsible AD is Alexey Melnikov.