Subject: Protocol Action: 'Well-Known Community Policy Behavior' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:46:43 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Well-Known Community Policy Behavior'
  (draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior/

Technical Summary

   Popular BGP implementations manipulate Well-known Communities
   differently from one another.  This results in difficulties for
   operators.  Network operators are encouraged to deploy consistent
   community handling across their networks, taking the inconsistent
   behaviors from the various BGP implementations they operate into
   consideration.  This document recommends specific action items to
   limit future inconsistency, namely BGP implementors are expected to
   not create any further inconsistencies from this point forward.

Working Group Summary

 Over the course of multiple months a fair representation of the GROW working
group community reviewed this document before and during WGLC. There was active
discussion and consensus that the documented inconsistency is an operational
issue. While there was no controversy, there was decent discussion on how to
rigidly and precisely formulate the normative paragraphs to maybe prevent more
inconsistent behaviour in implementations. Consensus was solid.

Document Quality

   The document is clear and well written - it describes how different implementations
  behave, and how to prevent this issue going forward. 

Personnel

   Job Snijders is the document shepherd and GROW working group chair. Warren
  Kumari is the responsible Area Director.