Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08.txt> (An Information Model for Firmware Updates in IoT Devices) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:30:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Software Updates for Internet of
Things WG (suit) to consider the following document: - 'An Information Model
for Firmware Updates in IoT Devices'
  <draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-11-11. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Vulnerabilities with Internet of Things (IoT) devices have raised the
   need for a reliable and secure firmware update mechanism that is also
   suitable for constrained devices.  Ensuring that devices function and
   remain secure over their service life requires such an update
   mechanism to fix vulnerabilities, to update configuration settings,
   as well as adding new functionality.

   One component of such a firmware update is a concise and machine-
   processable meta-data document, or manifest, that describes the
   firmware image(s) and offers appropriate protection.  This document
   describes the information that must be present in the manifest.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-suit-information-model/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.