Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-04.txt> (Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature hashes in TLS 1.2) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 11:40:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG (tls) to
consider the following document: - 'Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature
hashes in TLS 1.2'
  <draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-10-28. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The MD5 and SHA-1 hashing algorithms are steadily weakening in
   strength and their deprecation process should begin for their use in
   TLS 1.2 digital signatures.  However, this document does not
   deprecate SHA-1 in HMAC for record protection.  This document updates
   RFC 5246 and RFC 7525.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.