Subject: WG Review: JSON Path (jsonpath)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 09:37:35 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2020-10-19.

JSON Path (jsonpath)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jsonpath
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/jsonpath/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/jsonpath/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-jsonpath/

JSONPath is a syntax, originally based on the XML "XPath" design,
which selects fields and values from a JSON document.  It is
used in a variety of applications which rely on JSON message
formats.

JSONPath was originally described by Stefan Goessner [1] but has
never had an official specification of any kind, and the 39+
implementations, while mostly compatible, differ in certain
behaviors.

Note that while JSON Pointer (RFC 6901) is already standardised, it is
designed to provide a reference to a single, specific part of a JSON
document, whereas JSONPath provides the ability to query a document
and potentially return multiple values.

The WG will develop a standards-track JSONPath specification that
is technically sound and complete, based on the common semantics
and other aspects of existing implementations.  Where there are
differences, the working group will analyze those differences and
make choices that rough consensus considers technically best, with
an aim toward minimizing disruption among the different JSONPath
implementations.

Possible input documents are:

* https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-goessner-dispatch-jsonpath/

* https://jsonpath-standard.github.io/internet-draft/

[1] https://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/

Milestones:

  Feb 2021 - Standards Track document defining JSON Path to the IESG