Subject: Document Action: 'Network Telemetry Framework' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 07:44:17 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Network Telemetry Framework'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-13.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an
   architectural framework for network telemetry, motivated by
   challenges that are encountered as part of the operation of networks
   and by the requirements that ensue.  This document clarifies the
   terminologies and classifies the modules and components of a network
   telemetry system from different perspectives.  The framework and
   taxonomy help to set a common ground for the collection of related
   work and provide guidance for related technique and standard
   developments.

Working Group Summary

There was no major controversy. The authors accommodated the various points that were raised throughout the process, as far as I can tell to everyone's satisfaction. There are no open issues. 

Document Quality

The document describes a framework, and similar frameworks are already deployed.  The contribution of the document is that it articulates the "best practices" for such frameworks, provides a systemic mapping of how various existing techniques relate to it, provides a common taxonomy, and hopefully helps organize related efforts. There have also been contributions to the document by operators.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Alexander Clemm
Responsible Area Director: Robert Wilton