Subject: WG Review: Calendaring Extensions (calext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 11:18:53 -0800

The Calendaring Extensions (calext) WG in the Applications and Real-Time Area
of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any
determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided
for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2022-02-14.

Calendaring Extensions (calext)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
  Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/calsify/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/calext/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-calext/

The CALEXT working group is chartered to maintain and extend the
specifications for formats and protocols related to calendaring and contacts
within the IETF, starting from the basis of:

- CalDAV (RFC 4791)
- iCalendar (RFC 5545)
- iTIP (RFC 5546)
- iMIP (RFC 6047)
- VCARD (RFC 6350)
- CardDAV (RFC 6352)
- JSCalendar (RFC 8984)
- JSContact (draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact)

and the many existing extensions and companion documents to these.

This working group is envisaged to be long-running, and deal with a steady
slow flow of changes.  Experience has shown that these specifications are
still seeing significant need for updates, as new use-cases are identified
and user requirements change.

This working group will do the following:

- maintain existing standards and proposed standards, processing errata and
refreshing them as required - evaluate and develop extensions to the existing
standards to provide for new use-cases where there is demand - generate
documents describing existing vendor extensions which are in common usage,
and likely to be encountered in the wild.

The working group will work under the following parameters:

- The extensions developed are expected to be backwards-compatible with the
existing standards. Incompatibilities must be identified, minimized, and
justified. - Any extensions to icalendar or jscalendar must include a
representation in both formats, and define a robust mapping between them. -
Any extensions to vcard or jscontact must include a representation in both
formats, and define a robust mapping between them. - All calendar extensions
must examine their impact on the iTIP protocol (RFC 5546), and define any
necessary extensions to iTIP to accommodate such impact.

The working group will maintain relationships with other working groups:

- HTTPBIS and HTTPAPI: when extending the CalDAV or CardDAV protocols to
ensure that changes are consistent with good http practices. - JMAP: when
making updates to JSCalendar and JSContact to ensure that the changes are
compatible with the JMAP methods for managing data in these formats. - EXTRA,
DMARC and EMAILCORE: for changes related to iTIP delivery via email. - TZDIST
and SEDATE for date, time, and timezone related issues. - Other IETF working
groups as appropriate, when their work interacts with ours. - Other standards
organisations like CalConnect and M3AAWG that are doing work in the same
fields.

The following are out of scope for the working group:

- Any attempt to develop non-Gregorian calendar systems/calculations.
- Work which is in scope for any other ART area working group, and better
suited to that group. - Work which is unrelated to anything that this group
is currently maintaining.

Milestones:

  Jan 2022 - Submit Subscription Upgrade document to IESG for publication

  Jan 2022 - Submit task draft to IESG

  Apr 2022 - Submit JSCalendar mapping document to IESG for publication

  Apr 2022 - Submit JSON Contact document to IESG

  Jun 2022 - Submit vpoll document to IESG for publication

  Jun 2022 - Submit Serverside Subscription draft to IESG for publication

  Jul 2022 - Submit calendar series document to IESG for publication