Subject: RFC 9191 on Handling Large Certificates and Long Certificate Chains in TLS-Based EAP Methods

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:42:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9191

        Title:      Handling Large Certificates and Long 
                    Certificate Chains in TLS-Based EAP Methods 
        Author:     M. Sethi,
                    J. Preuß Mattsson,
                    S. Turner
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-emu-eaptlscert-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9191

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9191

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), defined in RFC 3748,
provides a standard mechanism for support of multiple authentication
methods. EAP-TLS and other TLS-based EAP methods are widely deployed
and used for network access authentication. Large certificates and
long certificate chains combined with authenticators that drop an EAP
session after only 40 - 50 round trips is a major deployment problem.
This document looks at this problem in detail and describes the
potential solutions available.

This document is a product of the EAP Method Update Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC