Subject: Protocol Action: 'An ALTO Extension: Entity Property Maps' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-alto-unified-props-new-23.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 09:35:40 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An ALTO Extension: Entity Property Maps'
  (draft-ietf-alto-unified-props-new-23.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Zaheduzzaman Sarker and Martin Duke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-unified-props-new/

Technical Summary

   This document extends the base Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
   (ALTO) Protocol by generalizing the concept of "endpoint properties"
   to entities defined by a wide set of objects, instead of only IP
   addresses.  Further, these properties are presented as maps, similar
   to the network and cost maps in the base ALTO protocol.  The protocol
   is extended in two major directions.  First, from endpoints
   restricted to IP addresses to entities covering a wider and
   extensible set of objects; second, from properties on specific
   endpoints to entire entity property maps.  These extensions introduce
   additional features allowing entities and property values to be
   specific to a given information resource.  This is made possible by a
   generic and flexible design of entity and property types.

Working Group Summary

  The working group process has been uncontroversial.

Document Quality

  There are three known implementations. As with all ALTO documents,
  the work does not have a clear deployment roadmap.

Personnel

 The document shepherd is Vijay K. Gurbani, and the responsible area director is
Martin Duke.