Subject: Protocol Action: 'IDNA2008 and Unicode 12.0.0' to Proposed Standard (draft-faltstrom-unicode12-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:34:25 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IDNA2008 and Unicode 12.0.0'
  (draft-faltstrom-unicode12-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Murray Kucherawy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-faltstrom-unicode12/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the changes between Unicode 6.0.0 and Unicode
   12.0.0 in the context of IDNA2008.  Some additions and changes have
   been made in the Unicode Standard that affect the values produced by
   the algorithm IDNA2008 specifies.  IDNA2008 allows adding exceptions
   to the algorithm for backward compatibility; however, this document
   does not add any such exceptions.  This document provides the
   necessary tables to IANA to make its database consistent with Unicode
   12.0.0.

   To improve understanding, this document describes systems that are
   being used as alternatives to those that conform to IDNA2008.

Working Group Summary

    This is an AD-sponsored document and was not produced by a working group.

    It received the usual Last Call treatment, including directorate reviews from
    OPSDIR, GENART, and I18NDIR.

    This document replaces draft-faltstrom-unicode11, which was intended to
    take on the specified review and analysis for Unicode version 11, but
    which did not get finished before Unicode version 12 was released and
    before changes to the review process were documented in RFC 8753. There
    was a good level of review of draft-faltstrom-unicode11, including
    substantive review through the Internationalization Directorate (there
    were also GenART and SecDir reviews), and those reviews serve this,
    draft-faltstrom-unicode12, well.

    It's important to keep in mind that the analysis that this document does
    is highly specialized and that few IETF participants have the background
    knowledge and skills to do that analysis.  As a result, we expect few
    substantive reviews, and the consensus is necessarily achieved very
    narrowly.  That said, the document and the analysis it provides is
    critical to the stability of the IDNA2008 standards, to ensure that the
    standard continues to align with current Unicode versions.

    This document is a prerequisite for the review and analysis of Unicode
    version 13.

Document Quality

   Unicode is ubiquitous in terms of implementations.

   The most obvious important review was one from I18NDIR, which
   was done both early and recently on this document.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba is the document shepherd.
   Murray Kucherawy is the sponsoring area director.