Subject: [Ietf-hub-boston] round of introductions again? & Jan meeting planning

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:21:03 -0500

I took a quick look and noticed that we are up to 73 subscribers, which is
great.
When the ietf-hub-boston list first started, we did a quick round of
introductions in email.
I think that was helpful.

In this case, if you haven't said hi yet, I'd encourage you to do a brief
introduction with your technical interests, experience with IETF, and
optionally ideas for what you'd like to see out of the Boston Hub.

I'm looking in January for scheduling the next technical talks session.
My thought is to start at 2:30pm and go for 3 hours - probably up at 128
Technology in Burlington, since that worked well last time.

I'm interested in hearing about what dates and conflicts are in Jan -
particularly for those who have offered to do a talk.   I'm thinking that
scheduling 20 minutes for most talks & discussion - and one long talk (45
minutes with discussion) could be useful.

There's a possibility that a WG may be having a physical interim in the
Boston area, so I'm interested in seeing if the meeting can overlap.  That
(and post-IETF 97 & Thanksgiving recovery) are why I haven't identified a
date yet.

If you've volunteered to do a talk, do expect email from me within the next
week as I try to nail down details.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on Dec 15!

Regards,
Alia

---

From: Erica Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:39:14 -0500

Hi all,

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that has helped organize this group
and meetings. My name is Erica Johnson and I've been attending the IETF for
just under 10 years with a goal of understanding industry direction and
providing support through testing and tool development. I'm really excited
about this opportunity mainly because of our mission to provide experience
and exposure to students. This will allow our students to actively
participate and engage with the community. We would also be willing to host
a meeting here at UNH if it's not too far for most.

Best Regards,
Erica

Erica Johnson
Director | UNH InterOperability Laboratory
Co-Chair IPv6 Ready Logo Committee | IPv6 Forum
Chair Testing Leadership Council | Open Networking Foundation
o: 1.603.862.0117 | m: 1.603.421.4802
http://www.iol.unh.edu

Interested to learn more? Sign up <http://bit.ly/1XNuJLV> for our quarterly
newsletter for industry news and IOL happenings.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If you've volunteered to do a talk, do expect email from me within the
> next week as I try to nail down details.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-hub-boston mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston
>
>

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:47:21 -0500

Hi Erica,

> a meeting here at UNH if it's not too far for most.

Thanks for joining!   At the moment, we've been focusing on having social
and technical discussion meetings - mostly because those are easier.  If
there's interest in getting together to hack code or test or such, that'd
be quite welcome as well.   Another possible idea is to take a look at
CodeStand.ietf.org and see if there's anything interesting there.  This
platform has just gotten going, but there are some ideas and projects in it.

I do appreciate - very much - the offer to host a meeting at UNH.  We're
still figuring out what works geographically and moving around a bit to get
a different mixture of people is likely.

Regards,
Alia

> o: 1.603.862.0117 <(603)%20862-0117> | m: 1.603.421.4802
> <(603)%20421-4802>
> http://www.iol.unh.edu
>
> Interested to learn more? Sign up <http://bit.ly/1XNuJLV> for our
> quarterly newsletter for industry news and IOL happenings.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>> I took a quick look and noticed that we are up to 73 subscribers, which
>> is great.

---

From: Erica Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:53:44 -0500

Just to clarify, we would like to participate in both the social and
technical discussions ;)

Testing/Tool development is our day to day and not goals for the Boston
meet ups. Sorry for the confusion.

/erica

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> In this case, if you haven't said hi yet, I'd encourage you to do a
>>> brief introduction with your technical interests, experience with IETF, and

---

From: David Bond <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:41:55 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself at the last hub meeting but I have yet to do so on the
mailing list. Seoul marks my 10th IETF since #75. I'm a routing protocols
developer and I began attending the IETF in college doing some TRILL OAM
work. I'm now at 128 Technology in Burlington working on routing protocols!
I hope to attend the meetups as my schedule permits.

Cheers,
-David Bond

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Erica Johnson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> I wanted to say thank you to everyone that has helped organize this
>>> group and meetings. My name is Erica Johnson and I've been attending the
>>> IETF for just under 10 years with a goal of understanding industry
>>> direction and providing support through testing and tool development. I'm
>>> really excited about this opportunity mainly because of our mission to
>>> provide experience and exposure to students. This will allow our students
>>> to actively participate and engage with the community. We would also be
>>> willing to host a meeting here at UNH if it's not too far for most.
>>>
>>
>>>> My thought is to start at 2:30pm and go for 3 hours - probably up at
>>>> 128 Technology in Burlington, since that worked well last time.
>>>>

---

From: Sarah Scheffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 22:15:45 +0000

Note: sorry if this is a double-post, sometimes the fact that I have all my
email addresses forwarded to the same place means that I have issues with
email lists thinking I'm sending an email from the wrong address.  I think
I fixed the problem for the future, though.

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm here to learn!  I'm a grad student (0.5 out of 5
years into a PhD) studying cryptography and network security at Boston
University.  I'm basically hoping to gain some knowledge and exposure to
All Things Network Security as I explore various topics and figure out what
I want to focus on.  I'm also excited to meet you and learn what sorts of
things y'all are working on.

I'm a complete IETF novice, I've never been to a meeting, and I only joined
the mailing list very recently.  But I'm excited to start!  Unfortunately,
I won't be at the December meeting; it's the end of the semester and there
are all sorts of crazy deadlines going on.  But I hope to meet some of you
in person in January!

Cheers,
Sarah Scheffler

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM David Bond <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
-David Bond

/erica

Hi Erica,

Hi all,

Regards,
Alia

Best Regards,
Erica

Erica Johnson
Director | UNH InterOperability Laboratory
Co-Chair IPv6 Ready Logo Committee | IPv6 Forum
Chair Testing Leadership Council | Open Networking Foundation
o: 1.603.862.0117 <(603)%20862-0117> | m: 1.603.421.4802 <(603)%20421-4802>
http://www.iol.unh.edu

Regards,
Alia