Subject: [ipfix-info] headerLengthIPv4 editorial change

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:53:22 +0200

Dear all,

Juergen just posted a new version of the IPFIX-INFO. However, a small 
editorial change has been agreed upon with Juergen by phone. This email 
is for tracking purposes. IMHO, as this change is minor, the current 
IPFIX-INFO version is fine for the IESG review, but Dave and Nevil are 
the ones to decide.

The headerLengthIPv4 I.E. will be changed to

5.3.29  IPv4InternetHeaderLength

    Description:
        The length of the IPv4 header, as reported in the Internet
    Header Length (IHL) as specified in RFC 791
    Abstract Data Type: octet
    ElementId: 207
    Status: current
    Units: 4 octets
    Reference:
        See RFC 791 for the specification of the IPv4 header.

Note that:
- the units are now 4 octets, as in the IHL.
- the ElementId is unchanged.
- if headerLengthIPv4 is needed with an unit of octets, we might define a new I.E.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:41:43 +0200

Dear all,

It is fine having an IE with unit "4 octets" using IE idenitfier #207.

Still, it is potentially confusing and a potential source of errors that
all our length indicators use "octet" except this one.

We anyway have a gap of 3 unused IE idenitfiers just before #207:

>    | 160 | systemInitTimeMilliSeconds| 201 | mplsLabelStackSize        |
>    | 161 | flowDurationMilliSeconds  | 202 | mplsLabelStackDepth       |
>    | 162 | flowDurationMicroSeconds  | 203 | mplsTopLabelExp           |
>    | 163 | observedFlowTotalCount    | 204 |                           |
>    | 164 | ignoredPacketTotalCount   | 205 |                           |
>    | 165 | ignoredOctetTotalCount    | 206 |                           |
>    | 166 | notSentFlowTotalCount     | 207 | headerLengthIPv4          |
>    | 167 | notSentPacketTotalCount   | 208 | ipv4Options               |
>    | 168 | notSentOctetTotalCount    | 209 | tcpOptions                |
>    |     |                           | 210 | paddingOctets             |

So what about changing the IE identifier of the already specified IE
headerLengthIPv4 from #207 to #206 and using #207 for the IE as
specified by Benoit:

>    | 160 | systemInitTimeMilliSeconds| 201 | mplsLabelStackSize        |
>    | 161 | flowDurationMilliSeconds  | 202 | mplsLabelStackDepth       |
>    | 162 | flowDurationMicroSeconds  | 203 | mplsTopLabelExp           |
>    | 163 | observedFlowTotalCount    | 204 |                           |
>    | 164 | ignoredPacketTotalCount   | 205 |                           |
>    | 165 | ignoredOctetTotalCount    | 206 | headerLengthIPv4          |
>    | 166 | notSentFlowTotalCount     | 207 | ipv4InternetHeaderLength  |
>    | 167 | notSentPacketTotalCount   | 208 | ipv4Options               |
>    | 168 | notSentOctetTotalCount    | 209 | tcpOptions                |
>    |     |                           | 210 | paddingOctets             |

This would reduce our gap in IE numbering and it would offer implementers both
choices, the common unit "octet" and the special one "4 octets" that matches
the second nibble of the IPv4 header.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

--On 9/13/2005 5:53 PM +0200 Benoit Claise wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Juergen just posted a new version of the IPFIX-INFO.
> However, a small editorial change has been agreed upon with Juergen by phone.
> This email is for tracking purposes. IMHO, as this change is minor,
> the current IPFIX-INFO version is fine for the IESG
> review, but Dave and Nevil are the ones to decide.
>
>     The length of the IPv4 header, as reported in the Internet Header Length (IHL) as specified in RFC 791

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/