Subject: [ipfix-info] new version of IPFIX info model

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:38:46 +0200

Dear all,

Please find a new version of the IPFIX info model at
<ftp://ftp.netlab.nec.de/pub/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-info-11.txt>.

It has been submitted to the I-D repository and will hopefully be posted soon.

The list of changes is rather short and changes are mainly editorial:

  - renamed packetLengthIPv4 to totalLengthIPv4

  - renamed ipv6OptionHeaders to ipv6ExtensionHeaders

  - explained the gap 204-206

  - changed descriptions of not multicast-related 'post' IEs from
      The definition of this Information Element is identical to the
      definition of Information Element 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX', except for
      the special semantics of the 'post' prefix that is described in
      the third bullet item of section 2.3 and the fourth paragraph of
      section 5.
    to
      The definition of this Information Element is identical to the	
      definition of Information Element 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX', except	
      that it reports a potentially modified value caused by a middlebox	
      function after the packet passed the observation point.	

  - changed descriptions of all multicast-related 'post' IEs similarly
    to this one from
      The number of octets since the previous report (if any) in
      outgoing multicast packets sent for packets of this Flow by a
      multicast daemon within the Observation Domain.  This property	 	
      cannot necessarily be observed at the Observation Point, but	 	
      retrieved by other means.  See also the 3rd bullet item of section	
      2.3 and the fourth paragraph of section 5.  The number of octets	 	
      include IP header(s) and IP payload.
    to
      The number of octets since the previous report (if any) in	
      outgoing multicast packets sent for packets of this Flow by a	
      multicast daemon within the Observation Domain.  This property	
      cannot necessarily be observed at the Observation Point, but may
      be retrieved by other means.  The number of octets include IP	
      header(s) and IP payload.	

  - changed data type of ipv4Options from unsigned64 to unsigned32

  - clarified description of ipv4Options and added a figure

  - shortened text on padding in section 5.11

Please find detailed differences between version -10 and version -11
at <ftp://ftp.netlab.nec.de/pub/internet-drafts/diff-10-11.html>.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Lutz Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:36:24 +0200

Dear all,

I'd like to change the description of the FlowID I.E. (148)

old:
   An identifier of a Flow that is locally unique to an Exporting
   Process.  Typically, this Information Element is used for limiting
   the scope of other Information Elements.

new:
   An identifier of a Flow that is unique within an observation
   domain and its scope.
   Typically, this Information Element is used to differ
   different flows when the flow details are irrelevant or
   the flow details are exported in a different template.

One motivation for the IE was our per-packet-export draft,
which we have extended since that time.

Best regards,
Lutz

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:58:57 +0200

Lutz,

As far as I understand you want to change the scope if the flowID
from "per Exporting Process" to "per Observation Domain".
Thus an Exporting Process reporting on more than one observation
domain could re-use a flowID value in different Observation Domains.
Correct?

Thanks,

    Juergen