Subject: RE: 3484bis and privacy addresses

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 00:40:34 +0000

I wrote in response to Ray Hunter:
> I take your comment as asking for a summary table in rfc 3484bis of
> system-wide config options.   That could be done as a purely editorial
> change, although if there's only 1 thing in the table it's less interesting.
> But if others in the WG think this would be helpful, then yes we can do that.

Turns out there were already 2 things so I've done this in -03.  

OLD:
	This specification optionally allows for the possibility of
	administrative configuration of policy (e.g., via manual
	configuration or a DHCP option such as that proposed in
	[I-D.ietf-6man-addr-select-opt]) that can override the default
	behavior of the algorithms.  The policy override takes the form of a
	configurable table that specifies precedence values and preferred
	source prefixes for destination prefixes.  If an implementation is
	not configurable, or if an implementation has not been configured,
	then the default policy table specified in this document SHOULD be
	used.

NEW:
	This specification optionally allows for the possibility of
	administrative configuration of policy (e.g., via manual
	configuration or a DHCP option such as that proposed in
	[I-D.ietf-6man-addr-select-opt]) that can override the default
	behavior of the algorithms.  The policy override consists of the
	following set of state, which SHOULD be configurable:

	o  Policy Table (Section 2.1): a table that specifies precedence
	   values and preferred source prefixes for destination prefixes.
	o  Automatic Row Additions flag (Section 2.1): a flag that specifies
	   whether the implementation may automatically add site-specific
	   rows for certain types of addresses.
	o  Privacy Preference flag (Section 5): a flag that specifies whether
	   temporary source addresses or stable source addresses are
	   preferred by default, when both types exist.

This is purely an editorial change.   The rest of Ray's comments apply
to I-D.ietf-6man-addr-select-opt, which is already informatively 
referenced in the above text.

-Dave

---

From: Ray Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 08:40:58 +0200

ACK. Thanks.

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 20:59:14 +0900

Dave and Ray,

thanks for putting together regarding these points.
I'll compile these into the revision of DHCP option draft soon.

Thanks !

On 2012/05/05, at 15:40, Ray Hunter wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Arifumi Matsumoto
  NGN System Architecture Project
  NTT Service Integration Laboratories
  E-mail: [email-masked]
  TEL +81-422-59-3334 FAX +81-422-59-6364