Subject: mboned: draft-ietf-mboned-mroutesec-04.txt and RPsec reference

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:26:35 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I was preparing a note to the RFC-editor about this, but even though it's 
trivial fix, thought it'd be good to run this by the WG if 
anyone has comments on this.

....

draft-ietf-mboned-mroutesec-04.txt which has been waiting in the RFC-editor's 
queue for the new PIM-SM specification to complete, also has a normative 
dependency on draft-ietf-rpsec-routing-threats-xx.

Now PIM-SM draft has been approved. draft-ietf-rpsec-routing-threats-xx was 
listed as a normative reference mainly because it was already in the 
RFC-editor's queue when this document was written.  The authors/WG have 
withdrawn draft-ietf-rpsec-routing-threats-xx, however, and it is no longer in 
RFC-editor's queue.

As said, the reference to draft-ietf-rpsec-routing-threats-xx does not even 
need to be normative.  The reference only includes supplemental information 
[*].

My suggestion is to move draft-ietf-rpsec-routing-threats-xx reference from 
Normative to Informative to fix this problem.

[*]
=====
In section 3,

     ......... The threats
    caused by misbehaving multicast routers (including fake multicast
    routers) are not considered in this memo -- the generic threat model
    would be similar to [5].  RP discovery mechanisms like Bootstrap
    Router (BSR) and Auto-RP are also considered out of the scope.

    As the threats described in this memo are mainly Denial of Service
    (DoS) attacks, it may be useful to note that the attackers will try
    to find a scarce resource anywhere in the control or data plane, as
    described in [5].
=====

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/