Subject: [Mtgvenue] editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:59:16 +0200

There are currently five additional requirements under consideration:

 1. No smoking - Proposed Section 3.1
 2. Gender-neutral rest rooms - Proposed Section 3.3
 3. Child care facilities - Proposed Section 3.3
 4. Conflicts regarding people with special needs or disabilities ???
 5. Budget hotels - Already present in Section 3.2

At the moment there is proposed text for (1) and (3).  I do not have
text for (2) or (4) yet.  I believe Pete asked for feedback from the
IAOC on (2) in particular, and I have questions regarding what to write
on (4).  It seems we are zooming in on closing the last point (5) with
no changes.

Eliot

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:45:46 -0500

Eliot,

I guess you missed my buried post:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg107499.html

My suggestion is that if we are including anything about no smoking, I
would certainly hope we'd be concerned about the impact on air quality from
mold.  It's not uncommon to find commercial buildings with water damaged
acoustic ceiling tiles.  And, if you see water damage on the room facing
side, then you certainly will have more on the ceiling facing side.  In the
case of Singapore those tiles were sagging.  Molds love acoustic ceiling
tiles.   And, given my reaction, they likely had Aspergillus mold growing
on them. Aspergillus produces Ochratoxin A which has many known negative
health impacts.  Molds like this can cause respiratory issues even in
healthy individuals.  I'm happy to point to research documenting these
impacts. Interestingly, research shows that mycotoxins found in tobacco are
also a factor in the health impacts of cigarette smoking.

And, while one might think I was the only one impacted in Singapore, 25%
of the population has the predisposition to be made ill.  Beyond
respiratory impacts, there are many other non-specific symptoms that could
easily be attributed to other causes.  For example, people might have
attributed symptoms to other causes such as the flu and the exposure will
increase the risk of getting the flu and other respiratory illnesses.
Anyone that finds they are getting sicker more frequently since Singapore
might consider this as a factor.  The impact is additive over time and each
subsequent exposure results in a more intense reaction sooner.   Here's an
article indicating that up to 50% of illnesses are due to mold exposure:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654247/

Regards,
Mary.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:

> At the moment there is proposed text for (1) and (3).  I do not have text
> for (2) or (4) yet.  I believe Pete asked for feedback from the IAOC on (2)
> in particular, and I have questions regarding what to write on (4).  It
> seems we are zooming in on closing the last point (5) with no changes.
>
> Eliot
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mtgvenue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mtgvenue
>
>