Subject: (ngtrans) FYI: IPv6 Forum Deployment Technical Directorate

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:24:54 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Subject: IPv6 Forum Deployment Technical Directorate Initial Members
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:49:49 -0400

Folks,

Perry and I would like to notify you that we have identified the initial 
Technical Directorate members and we also felt it important to ask 
Sr. Technical folks who have been around IPv6 and networks for some time 
to be part of the Directorate as Advisors.  See other caveats below too. 
The list is as follows:

IPv6 Deployment Technical Directorate.

Jim Bound & Co-Chair              
Perry Metzger & Co-Chair
Tim Hartrick                      
Peter Tattam
Cyndi Jung                        
Jack McCann
Brian Zill                        
Francis Dupont
Marc Blanchet                     
Dale Finkelson
Thomas Eckland                    
Stig Venass
Brian Haberman
Matt Crawford
Bob Halley

Advisors:
Bob Hinden
Steve Deering
Brian Carpenter
Allison Mankin
Christian Huitema
Bob Fink
Charlie Perkins
Scott Bradner

We still are awaiting responses from other folks for the
Directorate and have run into vacation times we believe.  These folks
are doing this for free and here are some caveats we will use to guide
the Directorate:             

1.  The Tech Directorate will be a body to do a logic check on all technical
materials and deployment strategies by the IPv6 Forum in their fever to
get IPv6 deployed, which is presented to the market.  It will also do 
education.   

2.  The Tech Directorate will make recommendations on deploymemnt and
implementation tradeoffs for deployment if those kind of problems arise
too, as it releates to IPv6 Forum marketing.

3. The Tech Directorate if it finds errors in IPv6 in their work above will
relay that back to the IETF.  The Directorate is not to ever become
anything like the ATM Forum nor define protocols for IPv6.

4. The Tech Direcorate also is autonoumous to the IPv6 Forum so we have no
Kings or Queens either, the Directorate is a complimentary body to the
IPv6 Forum.

5. Tech Directorate members will do presentations and be on hand for 
IPv6 Forum activities when possible but that is not required as a Tech
Directorate member.  For some cases it may be required that the IPv6
Forum pay for the Travel/Expense for Tech Directorate members when they
do not work for large corporate enterprises, if possible.

6.  The Tech Directorate will have a mail list soon that folks can use
which Marc Blanchet will set up soon.  It is perceived the Tech
Directorate will have scheduled con-calls to meet and discuss issues
about every 6 weeks and as required.  Tech Directorate members should be
at IETF meetings as that event can be a place to huddle as a team.

7.  The only real differentiation in the Advisor role is they are not
expected to do "work" consistently as required by other members as most
of them are busy in this space in other areas, but to help advise us on
the tough deployment technical issues where there are multiple choices.
We would like to note that some requests for members were turned down
by the person contacted because there is some work load here, this is not 
expected of the Advisors.

8.  Tech Directorate members must be technical and an active 
participant for the deployment of IPv6 in some manner which can be 
research, product implememntation, significant IETF IPv6 contributions, 
network managment and opertions DRI, etc....

9.  Other roles to evolve if necessary or adjuncts to the these caveats.

Sincerely,
/jim and p.m.  

------- End of Forwarded Message